Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Lepto...very close to my house.

I was reading our news site for my city and apparently there have been 3 dogs that have died due to lepto within a mile/two mile radius to where I am. It's a more rural area just a few minutes from my place. I am kinda boonies.....just down the road is considered the sticks. (slang for rural....just incase no one knew what I was talking about)

I have been going through old threads and now I have just confused myself a bit more on whether or not to vaccinate or not. From the info on our news site, it does not say what strain of lepto....so I don't even know if the vac would cover what is going around.

The vets have said that contrary to belief that the new vaccine does not have the risk of side effects like the old one, but reading the old threads from Feb of last year I did see some people's dogs had bad reactions.

And my knowledge of Lepto is sparse. I was under the impression that dogs only picked it up from stagnant water. Then I find out that critter like squirrel and raccoons carry it....got lots of those around. How do dogs get Lepto in the winter time? That I haven't been able to come across. My dog is a snow eater on our walks.....I guess I should stop that right now.

I just wanted some input, a little more education on the fact. I know in the end it is my say....but from what I have read so far it sounds a little on the risky side
3+ cats......Surround sound

Last edited by dogcatharmony; December 22nd, 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Geek Club CEO

As far as I know, lepto is carried in the urine of animals like raccoons, so it can get into puddles, still water, (yellow snow?). We choose to vaccinate for lepto because our puppers take most of their walks in woodlots and eat/are into everything.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

okay from the urine......I was thinking just in the snow. Zoe doesn't do yellow snow.....but she does sniff it sometimes. I read that it can be contracted through the eyes, nose and mouth. Can they get it through the feet?? or just a mucus membrane? I just have a pair of foxes that inhabit my yard over winter.......but I do have raccoons in the summer.

Is it just small dogs that have a problem with the new vaccine.....or do some larger dogs, (mine is 60lbs) have bad reactions also?
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Geek Club CEO

I THINK it has to be ingested...gotta be something good on google...

oh, here: (from http://www.labbies.com/lepto.htm)

Modes of Disease Transmission. Leptospira thrive in spring and autumn when wet soil conditions and moderate temperatures support their otherwise poor environmental survivability. Infection by contact with infected urine or ingestion of urine-contaminated water is the most common means of transmission of the disease. Less common modes of infection include transmittance of the organisms during breeding, gestation, or through the membranes of the eyes, abrasions or bite wounds, or ingestion of the flesh from infected animals such as rats, raccoons, skunks or opossums. A serovar infects the dog as a maintenance host, using the dog to carry out most, if not all of the organism's life cycle. Under these conditions, the kidneys of the infected dog become the "breeding" grounds for the serovar, some of which will be shed in the urine where they may gain access to other dogs and continue the infectious cycle.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

hmmmm abrasions....would banged up snow feet quailfy for abrasions? Maybe I will stop our run in the woods for the next little while. She boogies off into the bush, so I can't see what exactly she is running in. In the summer she sticks to the path, but snow....she is off and running.

Scary when you really think about it.....but aparently around here there hasn't been a Lepto outbreak in a long time. Many dog owner's....myself included only know a bit about it. Our Algoma Health Unit hasn't said anything so far about it, but the thought of 3 dogs right near me dying from it has me a little concerned.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Chico2, see that is what had me on the fence is reading old threads. Some people live in an area that has lepto quite frequently and dont' vaccinate because of the vacc not covering all types, or the possible reactions to the vacc itself. I kinda spooked myself either way
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
-

Hazel must be the authoritay on this dogcatharmony, for sure when she logs on you will hear from her. She has dealt with it quite often, I think she is dealing with it now.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

DCH,I would do the least of 2 evils,which is to vaccinate,seeing Lepto is a killer