Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Reader's Digest july issue: lets shut down puppy mills

I just got the July issue of Reader's Digest and there's an article about the Canadian puppy mill situation. It's written by Ray Argyle who believes he had a puppy mill dog. I though it was good. It mentions some raids (Rawdon, Que. Fraser Valley, BC. and Meaford, Ontario) and what was found there. Those poor animals.

They say,
-don'y buy puppies from a pet store
-They mention petfinder as a good place to look for a shelter dog.
-don't buy a dog from a breeder if you can't see the mother and get health papers for mother and father.
-work for tougher laws, contact your local MNA and MP

DQ
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I read that article and wrote to them about 2 weeks ago, I didn't like the cute little happy puppy they used....I'd have rather seen them use a picture of the mother of all these cute pups in petstores...
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I read that article and wrote to them about 2 weeks ago, I didn't like the cute little happy puppy they used....I'd have rather seen them use a picture of the mother of all these cute pups in petstores...

I didn't like the pic either...but the article was ok...

Did you guys see the story on "The Passionate Eye" over the weekend? They did a bit on pedigree dogs...how they are bread, abused and what happens to them. There were a couple of these old made-up women saying they have no problem culling dogs if they don't meet their standards (one actually has to drive out of state to a vet that will kill healthy pups ) What a business! I was actually crying during parts of the show :sad:

It is good that these stories are coming out and maybe the public will start paying attention!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I think the pic was good. people who are passionate about animals don't need articles like this. I think this article was for the people who are sitting on the fence or don't know whats going on. If they had put a pic of a dog that had been abused that might have turned someone off of reading the article, but put a cute puppy and you're going to catch the eye of anyone who likes animals. I feel that this was a gentle push for action that may be more effective than someone yelling at you that you have to do something.
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I havn't read the article but I wish people truely understood what they were supporting when they are purchasing a puppy from these puppymills. i know that the dogs that come from some of these puppymills aer in horrible conditions ans some have been in these conditions for a long time.
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_queen View Post
I think the pic was good. people who are passionate about animals don't need articles like this. I think this article was for the people who are sitting on the fence or don't know whats going on. If they had put a pic of a dog that had been abused that might have turned someone off of reading the article, but put a cute puppy and you're going to catch the eye of anyone who likes animals. I feel that this was a gentle push for action that may be more effective than someone yelling at you that you have to do something.
then at the end of the article they could have put pics of "where your cute pup came from) a "shock" ending
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
then at the end of the article they could have put pics of "where your cute pup came from) a "shock" ending
I haven't read the article.....I agree with you there Melinda...showing a pic of a cute pup without showing where it came from defeats the object of the article. It is one thing to imagine circumstances, but seeing is believing imo.
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Skylar's Farm

I agree with starting the story off with a cute pup, and finishing off with: "This is where your pup came from"....complete with graphic pics.
The public has got to be informed of what is going on, people have to speak up.
Thankfully Oprah started exposing puppy mills last year.
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Sad that it didn't mention Kitten mills. And don't buy kittens from pet stores either.

ACO22