Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old August 19th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Trap-Neuter-Release Program (Montreal-West Island Area)

We are pleased to announce that we will be opening a new division of SOS MIOW that will employ Trap-Neuter-Release procedures for feral cats.

We receive numerous calls from concerned citizens about stray cat colonies that are popping up in residential areas and behind local restaurants. There is a definite need for a program to help these cats. Population control through neutering appears to be the best way of controlling the size of the colonies and help to prevent the spread of disease. We have investigated international groups who practice the TRN (trap-neuter-release) programs around the world, and are very excited to be in a position to do our part.

We have several volunteers who will be coordinating the program and carrying out the actual trapping and releasing of feral and semi-feral cats in problem areas on the West Island of Montreal and will be using the services of specific veterinarians trained in handling feral cats. We will be setting up a separate fund that will be dedicated to the TRN program, but will need to promote the program in order to obtain donations. We will be holding fundraising events, garage/rummage sales, etc., and will be will be counting on public awareness of the situation to help maintain this program.

Watch for more details on our website and we welcome suggestions from anyone concerned about the situation and willing to help.
Attached Images

Old August 20th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Very good news. And when you're done in the West Island, we sure could use your services further east. I'm betting the city would be prepared to kick in a few bucks. If you need any help writing up a proposal, I would be pleased to help.

Last edited by badger; August 20th, 2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Senior Contributor

SOS Mieow, did you coordinate this with your WestIsland Borrow? I would hate to see you spend money on the catch and release program and for them to come by and catch the cats and euthanise them. I was going to be involved with a catch and release program in the borrow of Verdun with the Bond Foundation. Unfortunally the borrow would NOT chip in one read cent and they didn't approve of the program. We have something else in the works. I know certain parts of Montreal does a catch and release program. Actually, the Suburban Newspaper wrote an article about the catch and release program in ville st-laurent couple of months ago. If I find it, I will post it. I think what you are trying to do is great.
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

WHAT is their problem, how could this approach be questioned for one minute? Let me answer my own question: there is an endless supply, all you do is slow it down. SO you put it together with an aggressive education program, then maybe the new supply will be reduced. And where is the SPCA, Berger Blanc in all this? Will they be involved? Maybe the City thinks that if they're funding these groups, that should be enough. Whole lotta minds to change out there.
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

This was written in June 26th,2005

Thirty-three stray cats have been neutered and vaccinated before being released back into the community in St. Laurent’s year-old program aimed at slashing the feral cat population.

Under a recent policy, both the euthanasia of strays and their use in research is prohibited in St. Laurent, which has an estimated 12 feral-cat colonies.

“It’s a capture-spay-release program. If one considers that a single pair of cats may produce up to 20,736 offspring in the course of only four years, these 33 cats that were neutered should allow for a significant reduction in potential strays on our territory,” said St. Laurent chairman Alan DeSousa. “The program is a success on a preliminary basis and we will continue to dedicate money so that if there are other feral cat colonies that we find on our territory we will do the same thing.”

St. Laurent granted the $5,000 animal-control contract to Berger Blanc last year, a move that prompted concerns from animal-right activists that the borough would not be able to scrutinize what happens to the animals once they’re picked up. The animal-control firm has been criticized repeatedly for killing animals or selling them for research.

Another contract will be awarded this fall and like this year, it will be carried out with the help of volunteers and a group of Vanier College students enlisted in the animal health technology program.

Meanwhile, C.D.N./N.D.G. is following St. Laurent’s example. Last week, the council gave $5,000 to the non-profit Chats sans chatons and the SPCA for picking up, neutering and releasing stray cats in that borough.

According to borough officials, the grant gives the organizations a head start in a fundraiser aimed at covering the full costs of the project.

“Scientific studies proved on several occasions the benefits of such a program which was also adopted in Calgary and Toronto,” said C.D.N./N.D.G. spokesman François Puchin.

But C.D.N./N.D.G. opposition councillor Jeremy Searle voted against the contract, calling it a waste of money.

“This is real political correctness gone mad... What are we going to do next? We’ll start picking up rats and giving them a few days of care at the SPCA and then putting them back into wild again?,” Searle wondered, pointing out that dogs don’t get equal treatment in the borough.

“Dogs are licensed... and if an [abandoned] dog is not claimed within a number of days, it’s killed. We are treating them better than the dogs,” he said. “You could leave the cats alone and spend city tax dollars on providing services or you can treat them the same as the dogs: you pick up stray animals and [if] nobody wants them, you put them down.”
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Catch and release Program West Island!

SOS Mieow, did you coordinate this with your WestIsland borough and the animal pick up in your area? I would hate to see you spend money on the catch and release program and for them to come by and catch the cats and euthanise them. I was going to be involved with a catch and release program in the borough of Verdun with the Bond Foundation. Unfortunally the borough would NOT chip in one read cent and they didn't approve of the program. We have something else in the works. I know certain parts of Montreal does a catch and release program. Actually, the Suburban Newspaper wrote an article about the catch and release program in ville st-laurent couple of months ago. If I find it, I will post it. I think what you are trying to do is great. Just make sure all your bases are covered.

I don't know what is wrong with this post....it won't be updated!! I orginally wrote this post at 6:00 a.m to when I let my dog out! It's too early in the morning to fight with a computer!!!!!
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
If you need any help writing up a proposal, I would be pleased to help.
I have a gal who is willing to approach the city of Ile Perrot and yes, I have no idea how to get the city to kick in a bit. I know that CASCA was able to get St-Lazare to give a grant, but JH is very busy and due her ties with another rescue, I don't think she'll be able to help us out.

If you can send me a draft of a proposal, I can get it translate and go from there. I have experienced trappers and a vet who is also interested in TRN, so I just need to get the background work in place.

Thanks for your offer.
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM

TNR Program

At the moment, we have numerous gals in the area who are feeding strays (feral and semi-feral cats - not adoptable). These gals are more than willing to continue caring for the cats outside and we are also looking into getting old plywood donations to built shelters (with straw) that the gals can place behind their garages, sheds, etc. for the winter.

Up until now, the gals have chipped in their own money to pay for sterilizations. It is firstly to help these girls out that we want to start a TNR fund and, hopefully, the city will chip in so that we can do in for cats that live behind restaurants and hang around dumpsters.

Right now, in Ile Perrot, there is a feral cat colony behind a local restaurant that I frequent. The owner loves having them there (for rodent control) and they always have a source of food through the restaurant's dumpster. TNR will help control the population, spread of disease, etc.

There is not much point in TNR where the cats have no food sources or shelter; but where they will be cared for (to a certain extent) and have shelter, it is worth a try.

Thanks for all your inputs and I welcome any (kind) suggestions or ideas.
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM

Ferral cats

Hello to everyone,

I have come across this website while doing research as I am desparetely searching for help in Dollard des Ormeaux. We moved here a couple years ago from the East Coast due to a job transfer with our feline. Our neighbour, also has cats. A little over a year ago, our neighbour found two kittens in the garbage bin, he took them in. That following winter we had a ferral male show up and I could not bere the thought of him starving in the cold winter...so I started feeding him. My daughter named him Mulder. Then soon after another showed up...Loop. This past week....Hulk. Anyone see a pattern here? I will not let these animals starve. However; I will be moving back home with in the next year and I am starting to get worried about their future. I can not find any catch and release programs or sanctuaries in the area and I do not have a car. I do not want to call the city because I know they will put down the cats. I would be truly grateful for any guidance anyone can lend. I can't believe that we are 2012 and people still are not responsible for getting their pets fixed.

Thank you
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:44 PM

As I am no longer in cat rescue, I would suggest you contact C.A.S.C.A. They are primarily in Rigaud, but have a volunteer who lives in D.D.O. Their main purpose is TNR of strays/feral cats & kittens.

Good luck.