Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM

My new kitten.

Hello, someone decided that I'd be the best person to take a little kitten in this apartment where there's no pets allowed. It's all good, I'm moving into a new place in a week where I can love this little adorable guy.

Couple questions about his behavior. At first he was terrified. I've had him for..3 days now. He's sleeping on my chest while I type this lol. He still tries to run and hide under the couch and bed, but when i'm sitting on the couch, he's so calm, but when i'm standing up he's running away. He literally spends most of the whole night under my bed. He wasn't using the litter at first but he's using it all on his own now.

He hasn't been pooing much either. He pooped once, two small nuggets. I can't find any other poops he's might have done. He barely drinks water so i'm encouraging him to drink more. Each day his behavior gets better but I can't help but think he's sick. His nose is always warm and dry, he's sneezing and has gunk coming out of his eyes.

I know i know take him to the vet right? Well the vet is booked until november. My friends dog died because the vet was too booked.

I'm pretty attached to this little guy, and I'm hoping he's not seriously sick. Does he have a small kitty cold? Or is he just scared of his new surroundings?

I'm worried about the little guy.

btw he's approx 3 months old. My batch of kittens at my future roomies house are just a tiny but smaller than he is. He's pretty skinny too.

He was found hiding in a back room of a gas station when robbers accidentally let him in. Nobody had the time or energy to love him <3 but the gas station let me be short on 1 dollar to grab litter and food.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
I know i know take him to the vet right? Well the vet is booked until november. My friends dog died because the vet was too booked.
Sorry, but whether he is sick now or not (which I have no idea about cats so I'll leave that for others to discuss) - he needs to see a vet well before November! A little kitten needs a check-up at the very least, and you need to make sure he's taken care of. Are there other in your area you can try?
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl

Last edited by Chaser; July 17th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear you are falling for this kitty .

Yes this kitty should be seen by the vet. Initial vaccines are very important. It sounds like he may have an upper respiratory infection and needs antibiotics. Kittens can go down hill very quickly so keep calling the vet daily to see if he/she can fit you in.

As for drinking, cats should be eating canned food only as they have very low thrist drive and it is natural for them to get their water from their food. A quality food that doesn't have any wheat, corn, soy, or byproducts, but contains real meat is best. Your kitty is a carnivore and needs meat, not corn.

Good luck.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
At first he was terrified. I've had him for..3 days now. He's sleeping on my chest while I type this lol. He still tries to run and hide under the couch and bed, but when i'm sitting on the couch, he's so calm, but when i'm standing up he's running away. He literally spends most of the whole night under my bed. He wasn't using the litter at first but he's using it all on his own now.
First of all, welcome to pets.ca! And thanks for taking in this poor kitty. As for the behaviour, this kitten is likely somewhat feral. Cats that have little or no positive human interaction before a certain age tend to be quite skittish. With good socialization, it's possible to lessen this tendency and overcome some of their fears, but there's also a good chance that the cat will always be wary of new people and situations. There are good descriptions here and here on socializing ferals.

Quote:
He hasn't been pooing much either. He pooped once, two small nuggets.
What are you feeding him? It sounds like he's a bit constipated, so if you're only feeding dry food, I would switch to canned. Like Love4himies said, canned is way better. Not sure what you have available where you live, but Wellness is a good brand.

Quote:
, he's sneezing and has gunk coming out of his eyes.
Outdoor cats are prone to URIs (upper respiratory infection) from either the Feline Herpes Virus or Feline Calicivirus. Some lysine powder (250-500mg/day) from a health store mixed in with canned food might help with the symptoms. Make sure the kitten is eating enough because when they have stuffed up noses and can't smell, their appetite tends to go down. If you put the little guy in the bathroom while running hot water in the shower, that can help break up the congestion. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...spiratory.html

Quote:
, I know i know take him to the vet right?
He really does need to see a vet, at the very least because I can guarantee he needs to be de-wormed. I wouldn't get him vaccinated though, until his URI has cleared up. Only healthy cats should be vaccinated.

Good luck, keep us updated on his progress.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Is there a rescue organization or SPCA or something in your area that might have some medical clinic? I'm guessing the vet you called is the only vet in your area for them to be so booked, but wow, they really need to get some help there because making people wait until November to get a sick pet in is crazy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Albert's mommy

Congrats on taking this sweet little guy in! Everyone here has posted great advice..please try to find another vet..like someone said..SPCA, or a shelter, or even Animal Control, even a Rescue Group may have access to a vet. There's a lot of pet stores too that offer veterinary services as well.

You want to take care of that respiratory infection as soon as possible, he's still so little...let's get him healthy and then you can work on the fun part..loving him and letting him love you.

Good luck, and welcome....you've come to the right place with questions..people here are extremely knowledgable.
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM

He's showing improvement. He's pooing more, he's not sneezing as much. But still I want to get him to a vet. The next vets office is a 2 hour drive and I don't have a car. My roomie has one but he needs to get it fixed. I'll check with the SPCA. Maybe they can help me out with this one, and the other batch of kittens.

I've been feeding him canned food, and using kitty treats to train him for the litter and to coax him out of hiding. Kind of make him realize that you don't get treats if you're hiding under a chair.

He eats about 1 can of food of day. Is this a good thing? Too much too little?

He's been getting more playful and not sleeping as much. If the SPCA can't help for some reason I'll get that stuff mentioned above.

It's sad though, the only vet here, booked because of breeding season and my friends dog didn't have a chance.The dog had a broken leg from a car accident and yeah...no help.
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck with your kitty. I hope you can find some help at the SPCA or a rescue. I'm sorry your friend lost her dog.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/