Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM

Citronella Collars

We've got a case of complaining neighbours on our hands. Dash is a great pup while we're home and barks next to none while we're here. However we've been having constant complaints from neighbours. So about a week ago we decided to place a video camera in the house while we left for the day. Unfortunately the video camera only recorded for about an hour and a half but we saw a side of Dash we've never seen before.
It wasn't a bark like he'd seen another dog, but more of a long, whiney, howl. It actually saddened me to hear him because I could just tell he was only sad we weren't there.
We have tried an anti bark sound emitting device that produced a high pitched noise when Dash would bark but that didn't seem to do anything. I could never EVER think of putting a shock collar on Dash but we're now considering a citronella collar for him. I've read many reviews and they seem to be hit and miss, but we do need to do something before we get kicked out.
Some people say it's perhaps because we baby him too much and now he has anxiety and some have recommended anti-anxiety liquids or sprays but I'm just not sure if I would trust using one.
Any thoughts or similar stories? We could use any help we could get!

Thanks guys!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
chronically insane.

They are hit and miss. I do not like shock collars at all.

I would say try that, or try Rescue Remedy for pets. HomeoPet also makes some good stress relievers for barking. If all else fails, for severe separation anxiety you can get Prozac for dogs.

http://www.reconcile.com/

I use generic prozac for my cats because they have mental issues. Right now 3/12 are on it. I'd like to just crush it up and put it in their food at this point but it works pretty dang good. I had tried EVERYTHING else before, and I'm not kidding.. my mom was about to make me get rid of the 3 that are causing problems, that's how bad it was, but we are doing much better now

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
-

Does he get a long walk & exercise in the mornings ? That would help , to tired him before you leave. Also , you can give him a frozen Kong (filled with peanut butter) before you leave. This would keep him occupied for a while. Some people say dogs will act up right after you leave , not so much in the middle of the day , so giving him something to distract him before you leave would help.

you're right about citronella collars , sometimes they work , sometimes they don't. My sister tried it with one of her goldens and it didn't work. You can ask your vet if he has any for rent , that's what my sister did , it was less expensive than to buy one.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM

Thank you both. I will definitely try the frozen Kong idea and see if it will keep him occupied for the first little while. If not then I will for sure consult the vet about citronella collars/anxiety medications. I just want my baby to be okay while we're gone <3 I love him too much to see him sad!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
chronically insane.

Also try bully sticks and other bones to keep him occupied. But if you have not ever given him any chewies before, please please sit there and watch him for the first few times to make sure he understands they are chewies and not to swallow them whole. I know tons of dog owners that just give their dogs a big ol' bully stick when they go out and it keeps them occupied.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:04 PM

I experience the same situation with my dog. He is quiet as a mouse when we are home, but when we leave he scratches his kennel door and makes a howling bark (on and off by fairly consistent). We got a citronella collar and it does keep him quiet, but I think it also makes him concerned because we are gone and he is upset and then he gets stuff sprayed in his face when he tries to call for us. Some of these collars are very sensitive and things like whining or even chewing a bone can set them off. These things can make the fact you leave even more upsetting! Maybe try and find a cheap used collar to try it out to see if it helps, or maybe find one to borrow. Buying new will set you back about $100, so research the brands well to find one that will not trigger needlessly.
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

If your dog is food motivated there are these puzzle toys for dogs. You fill it with food and they seem to spend alot of time trying to get it out.
When does your dog howl..right after you leave or every so often?