Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 9th, 2005, 04:15 PM

hydrogen peroxide

Before I had chance to ask anyone if this is safe or not, the bf put some hydrogen peroxide on some rolled up kleenex and wiped Belle's ears out. (They are getting nasty again). It came out brown and gross, and she didnt fuss at all, actually she loved it, he gave her a good ear rub before and after. Is hydrogen peroxide OK to use?
Thanks
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:20 PM

I'm no expert, but, you'd have to assume that because we can safely pour it onto open bleeding wounds to clean them out that it should be OK.

Good question though, now I'm wondering, Where are our experts?
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Hydrogen peroxide can be used in a small dose for inducing vomiting if they eat chocolate and such... I don't see why you can't use it to clean out her ears. I would dilute it a little first, I don't think full strength should be used.

I'm no expert either..
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:26 PM

For cleaning purposes, full strength peroxide is a bit strong on the ears. Diluted it's perfectly fine. Either rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide can be used, both diluted of course. Be careful not to push the cotton ball too far into the ear or it can cause damage. Using too much solution can also cause problems. The cotton ball should be damp, but not soaked. The inner part of the ear should only be cleaned professionally as it may cause more problems if cleaned improperly.

I hope this helps.
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Helps alot, thanks everyone, now Im not worried anymore! Ill be sure its diluted as I cant say for sure whether it was or not. We dont even attempt to clean out the inner ear ,thats what vets are for! Just trying to get get as much crud out as safely possible!
Thanks again!
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:39 PM

you might also want to try a pure saline contact lens cleaning solution - i keep a bottle in the house to treat and rinse out little scratches or cuts. it's not as harsh as hydrogen peroxide, which i've been told could actually cause tissue damage if used to excess or improperly.
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

hydrogen peroxide for pets

BE CAREFUL with Hydrogen peroxide as it is available in many different strengths. (3%, 6%, 35% etc)

The dosage definitely depends on what you are using it for.

For ear cleaning I would not use anything stronger than 3%, but 3% should be fine especially if we're only talking about surface ear cleaning.

Marko
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstef
you might also want to try a pure saline contact lens cleaning solution - i keep a bottle in the house to treat and rinse out little scratches or cuts. it's not as harsh as hydrogen peroxide, which i've been told could actually cause tissue damage if used to excess or improperly.
Good to know, I had no idea!!
Thanks
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
BE CAREFUL with Hydrogen peroxide as it is available in many different strengths. (3%, 6%, 35% etc)

The dosage definitely depends on what you are using it for.

For ear cleaning I would not use anything stronger than 3%, but 3% should be fine especially if we're only talking about surface ear cleaning.

Marko
It is only surface ear cleaning, I will check the percentage though, if its a higher percentage then 3% is it OK to use if its diluted with water? Can 3% be used without diluting or should I dilute it to be safe?
Thanks
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I've used it on my own cats as a topical cleanser at 3% straight.

If it's higher - dilute until it becomes 3% - usually there are some instructions on the bottle. If in doubt you could do a quick check with your vet.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Great, thanks for your help!
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Let's say that you have some 20 % lying around because that's wht's used to dye hair,sold in the "boxes", for example you dilute it 1 part peroxide 3 parts water to get 5% and then take that mixture and dilute that with equal parts water to get 2.5 or 3%......make sense?

If it is the kind for first aid, usually 10% then just do your 1 part perox. to 3 parts water to come to the same result. Sorry if that's confusing.

I've heard of saline solution also, and it's better for regular cleaning, peroxide is good for the "big clean" once in a while. (My Sam has the same thing..)
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Momof4and6furries

Personally I recommend ear cleaner - you squirt it in, massage their ears and then rinse them out (usually best done with a bath) and they come out basically clean with no digging or wiping. I love the oxyfresh ear cleaner the best. Works great and doesn't stink.
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Personally I use EPI-OTIC, this can be bought at the vets office and is resonably cheap.

You put the nozzle in the ear and squeeze, rub the ears and then I clean them out, the solution helps loosen any hardness that has developed and when the dogs or cat shakes its head it comes out more, it has a oily sort of texture so it makes cleaning a breeze.

My caseys ears were very smelly and gross when I got her so I did it 3 times a day for a week and they are just great now, clean and no more smellies and I feel good about it as I know it is safe and vet approved no diluting worries.....hope this helps......Its made in the states and sold here
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! Does EPI-OTIC or oxyfresh sting at all? Belle cant stand anything liquid in her hear, she just bawls so I have no idea if she is uncomfortable or actually being hurt.
Thanks
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok I went to the vet tonight to get more EPI-OTIC.

Apparently it is medicated and no it doesn't sting, my casey yelps at times cause her ears are a tad tender but I think she is just a suck because when I did my other shepherds ears she was fine and hers were worse really stinky.

The vet said......I could get more epi-otic because I had already been using it on casey for 8 oz bottle it was $17
they also had a product called VET SOLUTIONS just a basic ear cleaner same size $12.........if no $$$$ is available they suggested a 1/2 and 1/2 solution of water and vinegar I mentioned the peroxide they said it was ok but not to use it for a prolonged time and also to wet a cottonball or kleenex with it, not to pour it in their ears like the EPI-OTIC is to be used.

My ear lesson for the day......gee I learn something new everyday from this board
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggette
Ok I went to the vet tonight to get more EPI-OTIC.

Apparently it is medicated and no it doesn't sting, my casey yelps at times cause her ears are a tad tender but I think she is just a suck because when I did my other shepherds ears she was fine and hers were worse really stinky.

The vet said......I could get more epi-otic because I had already been using it on casey for 8 oz bottle it was $17
they also had a product called VET SOLUTIONS just a basic ear cleaner same size $12.........if no $$$$ is available they suggested a 1/2 and 1/2 solution of water and vinegar I mentioned the peroxide they said it was ok but not to use it for a prolonged time and also to wet a cottonball or kleenex with it, not to pour it in their ears like the EPI-OTIC is to be used.

My ear lesson for the day......gee I learn something new everyday from this board
He used it on a cotton ball, so thats good! We have tried the water vinegar solution, and it was hell, she bawled, hated avery minute of it. I think I will swing by the vets to get some EPI-OTIC, sounds like our best bet! Thanks so much for running this by your vet!