Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old November 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM

i want another one

I am considering getting another bearded dragon i have spud now she is 1 years old

how would i go about introducing another beardie to spud? she gets along fine with my 2 dogs and considers my pug to be her bestest friend

I havent really been looking for a partner for my beardie nor do i intend on breeding her so i still have to locate a good match for her but us as well

spud is handled daily, is very active and has her own toy box i would need another beardie who likes to be handled and that DOESNT bite

is there any rescues around who i can contact about adult beardies?
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I had no real problems introducing my 2 water dragons to each other. I had my female(Lola) in an aquarium across the room from my male (Bandit) because she was too small to be put in with him. When Lola was big enough I started to hold her right in front of his window and when I took Bandit outside I put her in the viv to put her scent in there. Then I put her in with him for an hour or so to see if there was any fighting but nothing. Just a bit of "hello" head bobbing. I didn't leave the room the first few times.
The kids have been together now for 6 months and no problems.
If you get a beardie about the same size and both female I don't really see a problem. You might want to have an isolation tank just in case the new beardie had something ( mites, ticks, worms or an infection of some kind). Check your local herp vet for rescues. I see them posted there sometimes.

Good luck finding a friend for Spud.
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM

that s what i thought but the first visit before the new beardie comes home is to the vet

beardies frequently get worms and parasites from imporper heating been there done that

never thought of our local guy will give him a call think he would love to hear that someone wants and older beardie and he knows what spud goes through here remote controlled cars--she loves to drive playing and getting dressed in barbie clothing

thanks will look into it as soon as i get the extra $300 for unexpected vet costs yes i do plan ahead