Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old March 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM

S.O.S. er, well, my PC anyway.

Help!

Something is very wrong with my computer. For the last few days, the mouse has been freezing, at first I thought, oh, my mouse is finally deceased, I need to replace it, low and behold, I turn the comp back on the next day, it's working fine. Then all of a sudden the screen is slowly moving more and more to the left, leaving me this black space on the right side of the screen, and some on the top too.

I ran adaware and spybot, and honestly, I really don't know what to do. Y'all are pretty tech savy and I'm just savy, hehe j/k, so, if you have a lifesaver you can spare, please help me save my poor lil PC.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you run scan disk to see ihere are any errors? Or defrag the disk - in the event it is something simple that was overlooked?
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Learning fast

Random thoughts.
If you have an all in one motherboard it may be overheating, check the fan on the box and make sure it's not clogged up. If you have seperate boards for graphics then you may well have dropped a driver string comand affecting both components, very common in windows 98 but unusual for the XP platform.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM
<-----nut ball

if your screen is sliding over, it's likely your monitor, not your PC. What type of monitor do you have.

Slide over to www.windowsbbs.com, they have a great windows support forum there where they will walk you through diagnosing your system. They are great!

Or just PM me and I can walk you through it all. I work in IT so I'm used to it. Do you have MSN Live? there is a feature in it that will allow me to remote into your computer desktop so I can see your computer and access things. We use it in IT all the time (not MSN Live, just a different program that does the same thing). It's very useful because we can "see" the problem, instead of just having it described.

I bet you just need routine maintenance done - AVG virus scanner, Zonelabs free firewall, clear out unused files, adaware to remove spyware, remove unwanted software/bugs, defrag, scandisk, stuff like that. I do that once a month.

Last edited by raingirl; March 8th, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I've been online for all of five minutes, I bought a new mouse and I'm hoping that that was the problem. I'm going to check out the link Raingirl thanks.

Thanks for answering everyone.

Let me try to answer the questions asked, I have an IBM monitor, a pretty old one too.

I'm not gonna lie, and I'm embarassed to say, I have Windows Millenium.

I did run the scandisk and it said there was nothing wrong, I also ran Adaware and spybot.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of boards are inside of this computer.

I'm going to try your suggestions Raingirl.

I don't have MSN Live.:sad: Geez I'm a computer loser.

K, I'll be back with update.

Thank you all so much.
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

It could have been your mouse (I hope so - did you check the Mouse icon on the Control Panel or the Device manager? I hope the new one works!!
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

Chances are, it's your monitor and/or video card. Try using an old monitor first and see if you still have the problem. If you, try a different video card. But my money's on the monitor.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I think you might be right, the screen was still sliding after a good cleaning, oh well, I guess I'll just start replacing the computer one part at a time, mouse, check. i'll go and get a monitor next week.

Even if it isn't the monitor, it's time for a new one, bonus will be the extra space on the desk, lol. I think this monitor was made when dinos still walked the earth, so we'll see.

Thanks all.

I will be back with updates.