Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

TQ,That unethical vet certainly did not have his heart in the right place.
I have always insisted to hold my cats as they were sent to the Bridge and I always will,no ifs or buts about it.
My then vet(she is since back in Scotland:sadwas the most wonderful vet,she was probably too kind,ended up losing her clinic..
We all know vets can be expensive and I don't mind paying,the vets have to make a living..but that $50-60 was robbery,like BenMax says
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

When we had to put Sophie down, the vet cleared the clinic. There were no patients and no staff. Just my husband, me, Sophie and the vet. I held Sophie and he gave her a leg shot. She jerked once and then it was over. They let me hold her for a long time. They sent us a bill and a card of condolence. Later we received a thank you note from The Guelph Animal Hospital. Our vet donated everything we paid for Sophie to them in her memory.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
When we had to put Sophie down, the vet cleared the clinic. There were no patients and no staff. Just my husband, me, Sophie and the vet. I held Sophie and he gave her a leg shot. She jerked once and then it was over. They let me hold her for a long time. They sent us a bill and a card of condolence. Later we received a thank you note from The Guelph Animal Hospital. Our vet donated everything we paid for Sophie to them in her memory.
Wow!! Great vet with scruples. Nice.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM

chest movement after euthaol?

Hi,

Unfortunately I had to put my 10 yr old jack russel down today..i did it at a shelter, the vet places wanted $400-$500. The shelter was $56.

A tech did it, not a vet. They do that all the time (what I was told). Because of that I couldn't be in the room when the euthanol was given, but had time before and after with him.

while i was with him after the euthanol, my finger was near his nose and it twitched a little, like he was smelling it. then i noticed that his body moved ever so slightly up and down, like a slow shallow breath. i called the tech in and showed her, she said it's normal for there to be movement for a bit, the brain still firing is what she said. she also said that the longer i stayed and watched the more i'd see, which i found very weird. they said i could have all the time i wanted, but that comment was still odd to me. shouldn't there be less movement as time goes on?

i did the nose thing again and this time no twitching. but i thought i saw his body move a few times in the time i was there. the tech assured me that she listened for a heart beat for a minute after it stopped.

i know there can be twitching, but what i saw more resembled breathing movement. the tech said she gave him 6 cc when only 2 cc would have done it (20-22lbs dog).

has anyone ever experienced or heard of this before? does anyone know if the dosage was correct? i probably shouldn't be, but i am a little worried that he may have been alive and suffered when they put him in the freezer..has anyone heard of horror stories similar to this where the dog suffered?

Thanks all!

I saw the red mark on his front leg where the needle went, so i doubt they did the 'through the heart' thing.
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:31 PM

My vet put down Spice, Peanut and Charlie and cried with me the hole time, it was very quick, they just feel asleep forever, no movement after the injection.
Chloe, Golden Retriever born 10/2008

Always in my heart Spice, Peanut and little Charlie
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I have had many loved pets put down by vets and stayed with them as they took their final breath,like Claudias experience it was always a quick peaceful event,heartbreaking but peaceful.
If what you are saying really happened,it sounds like something nightmares are made of
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I hold mine on my lap...my vet will get down on the floor with me where the dog is comfortable......he strokes them and talks to them while he's doing it and yes...he cries with me also afterwards, then he leaves the room to give us time alone.........the lady that does the cremations has them picked up within 5 hours of them being sent to the bridge.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Now i am thinking i shoulda forked the cash over for a vet to do it...i can't shake this feeling that my poor dog suffered.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

petGuy, don't beat yourself up. We have had all of ours done by vets and I always see slight movement afterward, too. I don't think it's there--I think we know the way our little guy should move and exactly what that motion would be like and our brains do the rest. The movement was very slight, and oh-so-quick? Random firing of neurons, maybe. Maybe even wishful thinking, hoping there is more time? The vets knows me--they give the stethescope so I can hear (or not hear) for myself. They're always gone.

So put it out of your mind. Techs can be just as skillful as vets and there's no reason to think that your dog suffered.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the kind words hazelrunpack....i had to be somewhere so i couldn't spend as much time as i probably should have with him after i became worried (spent about 10-15min)....the main things that make me worried about all this was the nose twitch when my finger was near it (tho it did stop a few minutes later, and it only twitched once) and the very slow body/chest rises that appeared to be breathing, they lasted longer and i should have stayed till i saw absolutely no movement.....

i've never had to put a relatively healthy dog down before (always was a case of health), i had to put mine down yesterday because he became very aggressive. it just plain sucks, and now my doubts are making me feel pretty guilty, like i should have looked out for him in his most vulnerable time....

is there a site that lists reviews/complaints for various shelters in Ontario, Canada? Any location?

oh, what movements did you notice in your pets? i understand twitching, but actual long, slow movements seem like they shouldn't occur.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Paw twitching, breaths, tail twitches, all very, very slight and (significantly) no one else saw them. They never lasted more than 15 minutes, though--by then even I was convinced they were truly gone.

I know that complaints can be lodged, but I'm not sure how accessible those complaints/comments might be to the general public (I'm in the States so I don't know the Canadian system very well). With luck some of our Canadian members can give you the site address.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Petguy, (animal lovers and vegitarians please cover your eyes) I'm an old farm girl from way back, we butchered our own chickens....do you know how they are done??? and yes...even with missing that part of them, they still moved and twitched for awhile. Please be at peace knowing your beloved pets heart had definately stopped, I'm sorry if this has insulted anyone......I just wanted to reassure him.
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM

thanks again hazelrunpack...i think i should feel better as time goes on...

melinda, yes i know how chickens are killed, i've even beheaded a rooster before (just one time tho). i would think that overdosing on an anesthetic vs. beheading would create different outcomes, in terms of movement, but i understand that this may not be the case. thanks for the effort in reassuring me, i appreciate it.
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM

Unhappy My 14 year old chihuahua with Congestive heart failure and glaucoma.

My 14 year old Chihuahua was diagnosed with CHF about 2 years ago. He also got glaucoma in his eye and is now blind in it. Anyways, he was prescribed 3 different medicines a year ago to stop his persistent cough. It worked and he was fine for about a year. About a month ago, he's gotten worse. Most of his days, he is coughing/throwing up water all the time. The vet increased his meds, but it hasn't done anything. I just want other people's advice about possibly putting my dog to sleep. I dont know if he is in pain, but I know that half of the time he isn't comfortable and I really don't want to wait till last minute when he can't even breath anymore.
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So sorry to hear about your Chi, jdiaz135

Have you discussed your dog's quality of life with your vet? In the past, our vets have given us a very objective evaluation of our ailing pet's condition. They can assess pain or discomfort, and give you signs to watch for. Their advice can be very helpful in making that final decision. But only you can make that decision when it's time.

Everyone tries to time euthanasia perfectly and they can be so very hard on themselves. You want to allow your boy as much life as possible, without prolonging suffering. But the truth is you never have enough information--you can never know that it's that perfect time. You can only make your best guess.

Just know that whatever you decide, if you make your decision with your Chi's best interests at heart, you can't go wrong. And if you make it with love in your heart, as well, it will be the best choice at the right time, absolutely and unequivocally, regardless of what and when you decide.

So my best advice is to have that talk with your boy's vet and go from there. I know how very difficult this time is for you and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. And if you need to talk or have some specific questions, we'll be here to listen and help when we can.

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Everyone tries to time euthanasia perfectly and they can be so very hard on themselves. You want to allow your boy as much life as possible, without prolonging suffering. But the truth is you never have enough information--you can never know that it's that perfect time. You can only make your best guess.
So well said, hazelrunpack.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Obsessed animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
No I didn't (I actually shouted that why the extra cost?? what do you do If I'm not there, hit her over the head with a hammer, so it doesn't cost anything!!) and waited for my regular to open!! I took her there and yes I stayed with her (I would never let any of my pets die alone).
No they do not hit your animal over the head with a hammer. The extra cost is to put a catheter in the animal's vein in orderbto transport whatever is used to sedate/euthanize the animal. If you were not present, a vet tech would safely & humanely restrain your animal and the vet would inject the sedative/euthansol into he vein. If your animal has low blood pressure, it may be difficult to find a vein. If a catheter is inserted, then it's much easier on the owner than to see the vet poke around and be restrained by the tech. Putting a catheter in allows the owner the freedom to hold his animal while he passes. Also, the.procedure takes longer than if he owner wasn't present so the cost is also for the vet's time. Sad to say, that us what the fee is for. Vets often use a catheter anyways to ensure they don't have to poke more than once but again, the vet tech is still there to restrain the animal. Where I work, the only time we do intracardiac euthanasias is for exotics like reptiles or rodents or if an animal's blood pressure is so low a vein is not available. In my two and a half year 'career' there, only one cat has been euthanized by intracardiac injection. This is just as quick and painless but I would guess that having a needle through your pet's heart may be traumatic for you. One person asked me if we broke the animal's neck. Ewww!

as for shooting the animal, maybe it happens in more rural areas but most likely not. Mwybe for livestock?
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipgirl4 View Post
...The extra cost is to put a catheter in the animal's vein in orderbto transport whatever is used to sedate/euthanize the animal. If you were not present, a vet tech would safely & humanely restrain your animal and the vet would inject the sedative/euthansol into he vein. (...) If a catheter is inserted, then it's much easier on the owner than to see the vet poke around and be restrained by the tech. (...) Also, the.procedure takes longer than if he owner wasn't present so the cost is also for the vet's time. Sad to say, that us what the fee is for.
I am sad to hear this.
I went to the Emergency Hospital in Brampton for humane euthanasia.
My cat had a heart failure and our regular vet suggested us to put him to sleep when he gets sick again. So when I saw him starting panting and that his hind legs started being paralyzed I took the cat to the emergency immediately and asked for humane euthanasia.

I asked them to make it quick and to choose the most comfortable way FOR THE CAT. They asked me if I want to be there with him and of course I said yes.

Obviously it just prolonged the suffering of the cat as I see now.
But how could I have known this?
When I had to put our previous cat down, in that time in London, ON at the Staples Vet Clinic, Dr. Staples offered me to stand at the head of the sick cat, pet her and look in her eyes. He gave ONLY ONE INJECTION in the hind leg and the cat was dead within a second. Just like you turn out the lights.
(he shaved the leg but not with a machine..... so the procedure was silent)

Now, in the Emergency Hospital, my poor sick cat was taken away from me and obviously his suffering was prolonged.

I told the people there that I want what is the way of the least suffering for HIM but well, they do it in another way than my previous vet in London and they define humane euthanasia obviously as no pain in the moment of death. But the problem is that my cat was terribly afraid and in pain and they needed extra time to put that catheter in and they also shaved the cat with a loud machine and later on, when I was in home with him, I noticed that he urinated under himself during this. NOT during or after the euthanasia, as they laid a new towel of theirs above my private towel that was in the cage already and their new towel was dry and stayed dry... The dying, half paralyzed cat put up his last fight again the loud shaving machine...

I am going to get a gun for the next time. I will never ever go to an unknown clinic for euthanasia.
I do not want a show for ME I want what I told the people: the most gentle way FOR THE ANIMAL.
Now I am afraid of further such misunderstandings and therefore I do not want to deal with unknown people when my next pet is dying.

To shoot an animal in the head is surely painful for the animal. BUT: the animal is quickly dead and there is no half an hour journey to the vet, putting in the catheter into the vein, there is no fear, no unknown place, unknown people and so on.

Once our dogs founda little bunny in the back yard and injured the animal. It was a gaping hole on the side of the bunny. But it was still alive. I could do only one thing, I took the axt and beheaded the bunny on the spot to end his suffering immediately.

I am sad to say but I am afraid the bunny had more luck than my poor, beloved, sick cat. The bunny was immediately dead, no fear, no journey, nothing... That was as humane as it can be.
Of course I was sick and devastated afterwards, I am not used to killing animals... I am not from a farm or anything.

Tunde
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Here is very detailed information given on the euthanasia of pet animals:

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...uthanasia.html

It helps to decide on how and when to proceed with euthanasia.