Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old June 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Confusion on puppy vaccines

Hi all,
My akbash x lab puppy Oskar is 18 weeks old now but I am concerned about the timing of his vaccinations and I would like to hear your opinions.

Oskar was given:
6 weeks (by rescue organization vet)-Distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza and parvo

9 weeks-Same as at 6 weeks

13 weeks- Rabies, Bordatella, Parainfluenza, "DAPV" vaccine

I am just concerned because 13 weeks seems early to be done all the vaccinations and our friends who have Oskar's brother are getting him a 4th set?

I just want to make sure Oskar is fully protected so my mind can be at ease

Thanks!
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5152902_sh...rst-shots.html

I found this web site that may help you.
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:37 PM

I tend to follow Dr. Jean Dodds' vaccination protocol :

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource....-protocol-2012

It's always best to discuss this program with your vet though
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

The problem is that the 6 weeks was too early

If they receive a shot between 14-16 weeks, that will often provide long term immunity, for sure if it's 16 weeks.

In you situation, I'd send blood off for titers through dodds. If the vaccines "took", you shouldn't need vaccine for a long time.
Old June 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

The rescue seems to be following an old protocol which would see vaccinations at three week intervals starting at 6 weeks, and giving four sets of vaccinations with the rabies at the last one.

Newer protocol is three sets at four week intervals starting just before or at 8 weeks. Rabies still at the last. Actually, the rescue seems to be merging the two, I'd ask about that.

Many of us now routinely separate what vaccinations we can so as not to overwhelm a puppy with a whole lot at once. This often means we can only separate the rabies and do it later by at least a couple of weeks.

Do you have your own Vet? Did you ask there? Sounds like the deed is done now and no point in worrying about it. But you could still follow up with what the protocol will be in the future when his one year boosters are due. Yep, Dr. Jean Dodds protocol is a good compromise between the old and no vaccinations, other than rabies which is required by law, most places in N. America. Or you could investigate titres.

Last edited by Longblades; June 19th, 2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: rabies note.
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the replies guys,

Ya I was mostly worried because the six weeks was too young and now he is already 18 weeks so he should be done now anyways.

When we called our vet a while back she seemed to think Oskar would not need another set. So it sounds like different vets have different opinions.

I just wish we would have noticed the vaccines were on a weird schedule earlier so that we could have got them back on track but he's already out of the normal ages so I am not sure what to do now.

I think at this point I might just leave his vaccines as if until he goes in for boosters next year, would you guys say that is too risky?
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal_love View Post
I think at this point I might just leave his vaccines as if until he goes in for boosters next year, would you guys say that is too risky?
That's what I would do, but i'm comfortable with that small risk, which I think is very small, but not non-existent. I personally think there is risk from over-vaxing too.
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Yep, Dr. Jean Dodds protocol is a good compromise between the old and no vaccinations, other than rabies which is required by law.
Just a note that rabies vaccines aren't legally required here in Calgary.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Just a note that rabies vaccines aren't legally required here in Calgary.
Thanks. I edited my post. I think it isn't required by law in Alberta either? Couldn't find a definitive update on old internet info. to say so.
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:16 PM

vaccines

Please take your dog to a holistic veterinarian. All those vaccines are detrimental to your dog's health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal_love View Post
Hi all,
My akbash x lab puppy Oskar is 18 weeks old now but I am concerned about the timing of his vaccinations and I would like to hear your opinions.

Oskar was given:
6 weeks (by rescue organization vet)-Distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza and parvo

9 weeks-Same as at 6 weeks

13 weeks- Rabies, Bordatella, Parainfluenza, "DAPV" vaccine

I am just concerned because 13 weeks seems early to be done all the vaccinations and our friends who have Oskar's brother are getting him a 4th set?

I just want to make sure Oskar is fully protected so my mind can be at ease

Thanks!
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually, the vet didn't give lepto, nor coronavirus, and didn't give a 4th series. That's pretty good from a historical perspective. Separating the rabies would have been better.

No sense in seeing a holistic vet now, vaccines are done (and some holistic vets aren't really that holistic). But you'll have to figure out what you are going to do when you get all those reminder cards next year saying that you must revax. At that one year mark, my girl's titers were all protective.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry i took so long to answer back.

I didn't know that rabies wasn't required here in Calgary but that is good to know.

I also decided to wait until next year because as most of you said, I don't want to over vaccinate and he is already 5 months now.

I had one final question, I volunteer for an animal rescue foundation (not frequently though) but i stopped for a while to make sure Oskar didn't catch a sickness. Would you guys say it would be safe to volunteer there again without putting Oskar's health at risk?