Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 27th, 2004, 05:12 PM

How to Stop Playful Barking & Nipping

We have a little problem with our pup where she seems to think that my boyfriend is her playmate. She's usually fairly calm with me, but once he gets home she goes nuts on him, and sometimes just out of the blue - she'll just start barking and nipping at him. Yes - he's contributed to the problem because he has at times lost his temper a bit and grabbed for her. I've never owned a dog, but it seems like she thinks it's a big game. Bark, jump, nip at dad - no reaction, do it again, do it again til I get him to try and get me, then run away so he can't reach me - try it again... and over and over and over. It usually lasts til I step in and tell her to sit, wait, calm down - then we play some ball or something less human flesh involved.
What can / should we be doing to get her to realize that it's not a good game to play with him?
I bring her to work with me so she spends a whole lot more time with me - is it just that she's excited to see him? She's only about 19 weeks now.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:32 AM
banned user

Nip it in the bud

First of NO man handling of the pup..and that means NO physical corrections of any kind..NO play tug of war..NO playing rough games using your hands...this all teaches pup that your boyfriend is at PUPS level and not above

I wouldnt even get down on the floor with pup..or allow pup on bed etc...you and bf need to establish that YOU are boss and SHE IS NOT

When she starts the barking/nipping,have yur BF stand tall and ignore her..a pup wont play unless its got a playmate...or you can distract her,put her o leash,give her a command an appropriate toy to play with

Make sure yu have TONS of toys she can chew,to exercise her teeth..make sure she gets lots of exercise with YOU and BF..
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Animal Lover!!

I agree with Mysts! Do not allow this behavior...a pup thinks that ANY attention is good attention. So for your BF to pay attention to her when she is doing this is making the situation worse. Do as Mysts advised above, and if that doesn't work, put her in a time out or completely ignore her...no eye contact especially. It will work, just be consistent. My pup was doing this with my DH, he followed my example, and now she hardly bites / nips at all. She is 17 weeks.

HTH
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to get him to do the stand big and ignore her but she's got those sharp little baby teeth and sometimes it's hard for him. And I used do the time out thing and crate her for 5 mins when she was a little rowdy with me, works for me - but not for him for some reason. We'll keep trying...
And she gets lots of walks (mininum 3 walks, at least 2 hours a day) + lots of play time and toys every day.