Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Blood present in cat's litterbox

Hello

My cat has been leaving blood stains all over my house, including in the litterbox. I can't be sure where it's coming from. However I believe it's in his urine. When he uses the litter box he sits very still for a long time and when he's done, there is hardly any liquid left. The spots he's left other places seem to be a light red colour.

Is there anything I can do myself, as in, changing his food, or perhaps an over the counter remidy? I have very little money and if he can avoid the vet I'd rather that.

It's been happening since yesturday, any advice would be helpful.

Thank You
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor

There is nothing you can do on your own.

You have to take him to the vet to get checked.
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:05 PM

You poor cat probably has a urinary tract infection, which is common in male cats. There is no home remedy to cure it, he needs to see a vet. Those infections are extremely painful and may cause a future aversion to the litter box. Get him to the vet ASAP!!!
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:28 PM
banned user

Yep vet is the only solution and if they are bleeding that bad I would do it ASAP!
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Administrator

This is likely a bladder problem, but potentionally also a kidney problem. Many reasons for blood in the urine; infection, metabolic disease, toxin, cancer, etc.

I know it is tempting to avoid the veterinarian for a cheap fix, however this is not a good case to try that. Diet changes will help if you have a cat that produces a crystal-saturated urine, antibiotics will help with a bacterial problem.

However if it turns out you have other reasons for this
presentation, then treatment will need to be tailored for the individual. Find out what the true underlying cause is and address that for a long-term resolution, don't depend on band-aid solutions to tough problems.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM

Question Feline Urinary Tract Syndrome

Dear Dr Lienden ( or anyone else that may be able to help )

I have a very much loved cat who has been diagnosed with F.U.S. He too was having blood in his urine ( at times almost pure blood ) I took him to my vet straight away as at times he was having difficulty in peeing. He was put on a course of antibiotics but as his bladder was full, the vet also took an x-ray, did an ultrasound, and so that he was able to empty his bladder fitted a catheter for three days. They explained to me that it was important tp change his diet, only give him water which I have done. The problem is it keeps recurring. He is so uncomfortable when he has the problem, it is really not nice to watch him struggle. As I write this he is OK and I am awaiting results of an analysis of his urine. He has been on antibiotics for almost three months now. Please, will he ever get better ? At times I felt that I was loosing faith in my vet and because I live in Spain there is sometimes a language problem. I have read so much information off the internet, I now realise that it is common in nuetered males and I think now that my vet is doing all he can. Is there any advice anyone can give me ?

Sincerely Susanna ( PS Sydney is only two years old )