Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 27th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Front legs stiff

My friends dog fell getting out of the truck on Monday and could not get up. After visiting the vet they said she had a trama on her back and to give her anit-inflamatory and anti biodics. He is also supposed to roll the dog every 4 hours. Ater 3 days the dog is moving her back legs and her front legs can be bent for her with no difficulty. As soon as we roll her or prop her up to drink her front legs become very stiff and cannot be moved. Could this be a slipped disk in the upper back or possibly nerve damage or pressure from a blood clot? Has anyone any experience with this type of trama? Any comments welcome.
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like another trip to the vet, or at least a phone call, is in order. He might need an Xray to see what is really going on.
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:48 AM

Just my opinion

Why do people keep driving around with dogs in the back of their trucks?

When riding inside the vehicle you are required to wear seat belts( at least in Canada you are) to keep you from harm should you be in an accident. There are actually 3 impacts in an accident, the vehicle coming in contact with something, your body coming in contact with the vehicle, and then your internal organs slamming against bone structures in your body. Tell me you would like to fall out of the back of a moving vehicle!

If I am not mistaken, in Alberta, you will be fined for having your dog in the back of your truck.

Have any of you ever fallen out of the back of a truck when it was moving? I have( I Know we are all dumb teenages at one time right? ha ha ha) and I know it hurts like hell. You can easily break bones from a fall from a truck.
Anyway, that`s my 25 cents on the issue
Old November 28th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Falling out of the truck?

Who said anything about falling out of the back of the truck??? The beloved animal companion was exiting her seat in the truck when she slipped. The truck was stopped and her companion had opened the door for her. No he did not lift her out as she is over 100 lb and like any older lady might due, she slipped on the ice.
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:02 PM
banned user

How sad poor baby (((HUG))). Hope your puppers is up and at 'em soon.
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Sorry

My mistake, I read that wrong :sad:
I have seen numerous people with dogs in the back of the truck and it makes me really mad.
How old is the dog? and how high is the truck off the ground.( I know that might be a stupid question, but large breed dogs have a lot of weight to carry around, hopefully it is just sore muscles)
I witnessed a ****er spaniel falling out of a truck once and he dislocated his hip! It took surgery to fix that poor pup up. ( Part of the reason I get so mad at people with dogs in the back of the truck........... but as I said before, I read that wrong and I apologize)