Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:31 PM

Unhappy Lip tumor?

My older dog luna, a rottie mix got a little red bump on her lip that i thought was a blood blister. (she plays alot with my other younger dog) This was about a month ago, now the bump has grown and is weeping blood.

She just had her check up at the vet (on last wednesday) and he said he wasn't concerned with it. I did not go with her, my ex boyfriend did (we are currently going through a divorce of sorts.... i am not staying at the house with the dogs often) So the Vet said she has a broken tooth and thought they were related. But now that i've thought about it, it started out as a small blister looking bump, and is now bigger than the circumference of a pencil. I have an appointment to get it looked at on friday, but i'm just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this type of thing?

All of the pictures i've seen and articles i've read about cancer in dogs mouths have been pretty bleak.

I'm trying not to think the worst until we get to the vet again, but since she's been to the vet, it's grown slightly bigger.

i just lost my childhood puppy to cancer last xmas!

:sad:
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I don't have anything to add, but I did want to say that hopefully the vet will have some answers and it won't be as serious as you fear Good luck
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM
-

Firstly, there is a ZERO percent return in worrying yourself or thinking the worst.
Secondly, do your OWN research so you know the lingo (you don't have to understand all the medical stuff but you DO need to know the basics & the jargon).

If you are not satisfied with the opinion of your current Vet it should not be because they haven't told you what you want to hear. It should be based on: because they haven't given you all the information you need to understand your dogs condition and make the necessary medical treatment decisions, the information they have given you doesn't match with your research or because you have reason to believe they are not competent to assess your dog's condition adequately or to give you all the information you need to make necessary decisions about your dogs health condition and treatment. If any one of those proviso's isn't met then seek another opinion by all means get another opinion.

And did I mention research, research research ~ honestly. Whether you are human or animal this is critical.

Please let us know how things play out.
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:51 PM

I'm sorry you and your doggy are going through this. I agree with mum though- if you don't trust your vet's diagnosis, get your doggy to another vet for a second opinion. If it is cancer, you need to get at it very quickly.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:50 AM

i agree with you completley.

I did not get to go to the vet with Luna, which i guess is where the confusion lies..

It's a complicated situation between my ex and I and i feel like the communication break down is soemthing that Luna shouldn't ever become a victim of. I feel like he might have played down my concern for her lip, when tell the vet because it was MY concern...

The vet said that if it's not better in three weeks that she should go back. I just learned thats what he said yesterday. But, in the time she's gone to see him and on tuesday night, it's grown a little bit. I'm not going to wait three weeks. it'll be three times the size by then! I have done research on what the lump may be, i have a loose understanding of the possibilities and outcomes. Her Vet is a good doctor and always explains things thoroughly, i guess i need to see him myself and ask him the questions that i feel need to be asked because i doubt my ex had the sense to ask. The dogs aren't in any immediate danger. if they were i would not be leaving them with him.... Soon enough we'll be re-united though. I am just finishing the final steps in buying out my ex from the mortgage. ugh! stress!
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
-

Sorry to hear what you and Luna are going through. Fingers crossed for her next vet visit.
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM

for you and for Luna.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:49 PM

Luna goes for surgery on tuesday morning.

The Vet says it's a tumor, and since it's growing so quickly, he wants it taken off and tested asap. We will know what it is in about a week from the surgery.
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The doctor called with the histology report.
It's not cancer.

It seemed to be an inflammation of the cells, and the tissue they took around the tumor did not have this inflammation so he says they got all of the inflammation out. So now, we've just got to keep and eye on her to make sure no more lumps show up and we're good!

Old April 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Yey! I hope she stays ok.