Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Remembering Lukka

Unhappy Limping On Other Back Leg Now

Poor Lukka, the other back leg that has been doing all the work is wearing out, she started limping on it today. Finds it very tough to get around now.:sad: I am just so upset. Don't know what to do. How is she going to be able to have surgery with this other leg not functioning like it should:sad:
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Poor Lukka, the other back leg that has been doing all the work is wearing out, she started limping on it today. Finds it very tough to get around now.:sad: I am just so upset. Don't know what to do. How is she going to be able to have surgery with this other leg not functioning like it should:sad:

It may just be fatigue, rather than injury to the ligaments. Certainly for the first few days after her surgery, she'll be resting both legs most of the time--which may be enough to re-strengthen the leg.

It's so hard when our babies are hurting.

Keep thinking positive thoughts, Lukka'sma! She'll get through this and go on to a full recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Hopefully it is just fatigue

Lots of for surgery success the first time, it's on Tuesday right? - I'll be thinking of her then

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Poor Lukka! It must be so hard for her being such an active dog. Big from all of us. Good luck for Tuesday and surgery. I will say an extra prayer for her that all goes well.
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM
~Cat Servent~

Is she on cage rest? Maybe that's what she needs just till she recovers. I imagine that won't be easy with an active dog, but if she is stronger for it in the long run? Continued comin your way from all of us.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

My groomer's 2 1/2 year old Boxer that I mentioned had the ACL surgery done on one leg a few weeks ago also needs the other leg done - operation on other was scheduled to take place 2 months after first - presumably all going well with first leg, which it is. Going in, the vet knew that both legs needed the surgery so had to pick which leg. Hopefully Lukka will not need a second surgery but if she does, as other posters said, the second leg should get some rest while Lukka is recovering. Are you still scheduled to have surgery this week?
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
My groomer's 2 1/2 year old Boxer that I mentioned had the ACL surgery done on one leg a few weeks ago also needs the other leg done - operation on other was scheduled to take place 2 months after first - presumably all going well with first leg, which it is. Going in, the vet knew that both legs needed the surgery so had to pick which leg. Hopefully Lukka will not need a second surgery but if she does, as other posters said, the second leg should get some rest while Lukka is recovering. Are you still scheduled to have surgery this week?
Yes, she goes on Tuesday morning. Surgery at 10am. Will be at the vet's until Thursday morning.
I use a sling under her tummy so she doesn't have to put full pressure on either leg.
If she wasn't on the Pred. prior to surgery and going out to pee every hour for the last month maybe her leg would have had some rest, nothing seems to be going right since this injury

Last edited by Lukka'sma; January 20th, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hope all goes well - and I guess the surgeon will let you know when/if to expect surgery on the second leg - hopefully it won't come to this. I know you will miss Lukka for the 2 days, but it will be much easier for you - and better for Lukka, rest wise, if she stays at the vets. Once home she will try and overdo it - just as people do. I guess you will be sitting by the phone waiting for the surgeon's call. Hopefully you won't get a solicitation call as you are waiting resulting in surgeon's call going to voice mail.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:37 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm concerned about the prednisone having a big impact on this.
I am sending you hugs to cope with this and happy birthday big pupper.
We're all rootin for you!!
hugs for your surgery and getting well.
Give him lots of fresh foods to help boost his immune system
xoxoxo
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:48 AM
Live well, laugh often

I'd try to massage her good leg as much as you can. Poor Lukka, I'll definately keep my fingers crossed for a quick and painless recovery .
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Massage is a great idea, but if there is ligament damage the last thing you want to do is massage, move or strain it in any way. It may need immobilization or brace to prevent further injury (until surgery). My dog spent nearly a year in a leg brace after cruciate #2 blew (from prednisone).
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
-

How is poor Lukka doing today? :sad:
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Just incase you dont' read my pm in time....

Orthopedic surgeon is who you want to go with on this type of delicate surgery. If it's not an ortho, then get an ortho referral pronto and get BOTH legs evaluated. Surgeon may decide both need to be done at the same time to prevent further injury to one of the legs.
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM

Smile

To Lukka'sma my dog had her left hind acl repaired it will be 4 weeks on Thursday. It has been hard keeping her from running down in the yard. We are keeping her confined as much as I can, but she loves to watch out the window and sees, foxes, deer and this drives her nuts! So if I don't let her out she basicly does the same thing inside jumping at the window crying barking to get out for them. I have her inside our pool yard fenced in but she still runs down to the fence and jumps up on her hind legs barking at the wild life. Hopefully she will not blow the other leg. I'm not sure I could put her through that again so soon. She was pathetic crying and panting, she must have been in soon much pain, even with the morphine patch. Good luck to you maybe she'll be alright and not need surgery. Molly's mom
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Good luck tomorrow Lukka we're thinking about you.
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Lukka! (You, too, LM! )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope your baby is feeling better soon from HRH Missy the Poo, HRH Miss Tyra and Piper

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by refsmom View Post
To Lukka'sma my dog had her left hind acl repaired it will be 4 weeks on Thursday. It has been hard keeping her from running down in the yard. We are keeping her confined as much as I can, but she loves to watch out the window and sees, foxes, deer and this drives her nuts! So if I don't let her out she basicly does the same thing inside jumping at the window crying barking to get out for them. I have her inside our pool yard fenced in but she still runs down to the fence and jumps up on her hind legs barking at the wild life. Hopefully she will not blow the other leg. I'm not sure I could put her through that again so soon. She was pathetic crying and panting, she must have been in soon much pain, even with the morphine patch. Good luck to you maybe she'll be alright and not need surgery. Molly's mom
Nice to know that after just four weeks your dog can use that leg well enough to run on it. I hope for this for Lukka too.

Thanks everyone, Lukka is resting behind my computer chair. I have told her that she will be getting better starting tomorrow afternoon once she gets to recovery.
I am nervous about not having her with me for two days following surgery.
I can imagine I will be calling the vet office all the time for updates.
As soon as I hear anything from the vet after surgery I will let you all know how she is doing.
Thanks for all the support.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
As soon as I hear anything from the vet after surgery I will let you all know how she is doing.
Please do! We're all worried about the lovely Lukka, too!

Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
-

Hope Lukka's surgery goes well today.