Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 15th, 2004, 01:14 AM

waitresses!!

i'm a college student who is an east side mario's waitress... i have been there for over 3 years now! but serving for less then 2 years...

it BUGS me when people tip only 10 percent.. i think of myself as a very good server.. i always get the drinks/food/apps fast... and everything you might need ( no matter how busy we are) and still shi@#y tips... its frustrating cause we get paid 6 bucks an hour... and i'm trying to save up for school.. and pay all of rex's vet bills ( neutering... shots.... obedience classes) and other expenses.. i work my bum off!! and all i get is people tipping 10 percent.. its suppose to be 15 the least!!!!!!!! ( not saying that EVERYONE tips bad though)

pllleaseeee people, serving is a very stressful job-- tip us right ( well if the service is good )
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just dont think some people can calculate

Yes u have a stressful job, I give you credit!
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:25 AM

haha.. thanks!! its GREAT experience with customer service tho... i usually find myself screaming in the back of the resturants at least 1 time during the night..lol...
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I fully agree with you, if you ever want to loose weight become a GOOD waitress, they work their bum off is an understatment, they put up with bad cooks then get the blame when something is not right, or the owners that dont keep supplies up then get the evil eye because a customer orders something only to be told "sorry we don't have any tonight" cleaning up after all us sloppies for sometimes over an hour at a time for what 2 bucks When I can afford it and I go out for dinner or a night of boozin I always factor in 25% tip for a night out but I am also the type that will not tip kindly if your having a bad day and I'm getting the brunt of it or I walk in and it takes 20 minutes before I'm noticed or acknowleged ( If you never saw me I probably left), if it's cold I send it back if its over done I also will not eat it if you are understanding to my dilema of not wanting to eat a steak that has been cooked to medium well when I only enjoy medium rare then you are the waitress for me and will be rewarded for a job well done but if you roll your eyes when I say it is to well done..........NO TIP FOR YOU I become the TIP NAZI.....lol
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I am a single mom with three kids, so dinner out someplace that has a waitress is a rarity for me. I don't have a problem tipping a good watiress/waiter. I do have a problem tipping a waitress/waiter that thinks that as long as they got the food to the table reasonably warm they did a good job.
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I actually worked in a restaurant here in Oakville for 20yrs ,it was supposed to be for a couple of years,but got stuck because we had so much fun.
It was called"A landmark of fine dining",sure!!!
All of us had been there for years,I developed many longlasting friendships with customers,mostly cat-lovers
I was,if I may say so myself,very good at what I did and would not serve anything not up to par...
But it takes a lot of patience dealing with the public,diplomacy and a great sense of humour.
I worked only weekends for 15 yrs and families with children,were sometimes a nightmare,Mothers Day beeing the worst day of the year
Waiters/waitresses are highly underrated and underpaid and people who think any"dummie"can do the job,have no clue!!
Personally,I tip well for good service,not at all if the waitress knowingly gives bad service,not removing finished plates,refill coffee,not returning to the table other than giving the bill.
Believe me,being a good waitress/waiter is an art-form and requires more than big Hooters
Old August 15th, 2004, 10:11 AM
The Sunshine of Your Life

I always tip 20% even if service is less than stellar. I will tip more than that for excellent service. I can handle service that isn't that super as long as there isn't attitude to accompany it.

My friends who used to serve told me that oftentimes it's the people who can afford it who aren't the best tippers. Pizza deliverers say the same thing. Nice houses tip less than small working-poor houses.

Of course it's a blanket stereotype, but it happens enough for it to become one.