Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM
You can call me DOG!

Those are 2 great pictures of 4 beautiful birds ownedbycats!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:03 AM

There were actually two males and three females there, but they kept diving under and then popping up so it was hard to get a group shot. There was another black and white duck with a red beak, not a mallard or one of the Muscovies, that I didn't recognize. Is this the usual time for mergansers to show up, Hazel? Are they migrating?
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ducks will often overwinter wherever they can find open water--we used to see a lot of them for most of the year in Milwaukee harbor. I've also seen some current pics mergansers from people living in the Toronto area, so I think they've just stuck around. There may be more later as the ones that winter further south begin to migrate your way. I suspect that'll happen pretty soon now as spring approaches.

The other ducks you saw with the red beaks--are the bills sort of long and thin like the ones in your pics, or more like a mallard's beak, wide and flat? If the former, then you may be seeing another species of merganser, maybe a common merganser. The males have green heads that look black unless the light hits just right. If the bill is more like a mallard's, I have no clue

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Hazel, using my second most favorite bird identifying site (my most favorite being to just post here and wait for you to identify it for me, I'm lazy) I think the other ducks were a common merganser and a redheaded duck.
This is the site I like for bird identifying by the way:
http://identify.whatbird.com/
It lets you add in one identifying feature at a time: size, color of body, color of head/wings, size, beak shape and provides a list above that narrows down further each time you add an identifying characteristic.
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hmmm....the link doesn't work for me.

So are you seeing lots of different waterfowl?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

try this hazel...

http://www.identify.whatbird.com/
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aha! There is is. Thanks.

A little far afield, aren't ya, aslan? I thought bird talk bored you...

Old February 28th, 2011, 08:04 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Aha! There is is. Thanks.

A little far afield, aren't ya, aslan? I thought bird talk bored you...
Not in the least,, just never comment.and you're welcome
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

This is my first attempt of taking a good picture of our resident Hawk. He lives at the bottom of our back yard.

I realize he hangs around because all the little birds are in our yard.

Just before I snapped the picture he was preening. I have never seen him preen before.
Attached Images

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nice hawk, Sylvie!!! I've never had much luck photographing them!

aslan, so in your lurking, have you learned anything?

Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Sylvie,nice Hawk,it looks like one of mine except he had a longer tail..I've got to get a better camera.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
-

Quote:
Nice hawk, Sylvie!!! I've never had much luck photographing them!

aslan, so in your lurking, have you learned anything?
i'm always lurking and i actually do know alot about birds,,,but yes i have learned some stuff thank you.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad to hear it! In a way, it's your thread, since it was your comment that inspired its spin-off from the TJT. Nice that you enjoyed it, too.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
-

something i said?...anyway more important,,, any idea how come our canary,,cardinal and blue jays never left this year?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep. Chris likely remembers, too.

Goldfinches, cardinals and blue jays are year-round residents. I have over 300 goldfinches here this year and more than 3 dozen jays hanging around...sometimes even under the feeders all at once! Cardinals usually stick around all year, but our resident male died two years ago and the female moved on. Since then I've only seen one juvenile passing through. We have good habitat but it's a bit isolated in all this forest. However, if another breeding pair should find the place and set up housekeeping, they'll be here all year round.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
-

really,,ours are usually here for the spring and summer then mid fall they always disappear..this year they've been front and center almost daily.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
any idea how come our canary,,cardinal and blue jays never left this year?
That's funny aslan. You aren't that far away from me and I have blue jays and cardinals all year round. I love seeing that pop of blue or red at the feeder. Occasionally they even brave it at the same time.
I was driving back from St. Cats yesterday and noticed (I think) the turkey vultures have arrived. Or at least are heading this way. They were about half way between St. Cats and us - so about 20 k away.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's odd, aslan! If there is a source of wild food near you, they may temporarily take advantage of it and not visit feeders as often--we sometimes see a lessening of goldfinch numbers in late Dec through Jan until they exhaust the wild seed supplies. ?The jays (and cardinals if we have any) are pretty regular visitors at the feeders here in winter, though. This year the numbers have been pretty steady--I think the deep snow in Dec covered the available wild seed sources.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
-

could it be cause we're closer to the lake and there are less trees around me than you guys? We're using the same feed and suet blocks so not that.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That wouldn't explain why it's different this year than other years, though.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
-

lol,,maybe they heard we're leaving and they're trying to find out where we're going. Ok another important question,,any idea how to attract a barn owl?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Build a barn.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
-

Quote:
Build a barn.
that's in the plan,,G has her heart set on a resident barn owl.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Remember that they need an access. Make sure you have a window or vent of some sort that allows them to get in. They can't nest in many modern barns because they can't get in.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
lol,,maybe they heard we're leaving and they're trying to find out where we're going. Ok another important question,,any idea how to attract a barn owl?
I know you weren't addressing me aslan but maybe these will help..........

http://tommy51.tripod.com/

http://www.barnowlvideo.com/attract.html

http://www.owls.org/Information/attract.htm

Now I'll bow out.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
-

oh excellent 14+

Hazel we're going a more old fashion barn from what i'm told,,i just say yes dear..my bil is in charge of the framing so he'll go old instead of modern,,he's that kinda guy. And newfie has huuuge rats and these evil weasel things so G wants an owl or pair to help the situation.

i know we'll have Grouse,,i had them scare the crap out of me twice when we were there.
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Sylvie - Just wanted to say that was a nice photo capture of the hawk.
Aslan - If you do attract a barn owl, you may just find me sneaking onto your property looking for a photo
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Sylvie - Just wanted to say that was a nice photo capture of the hawk.
Aslan - If you do attract a barn owl, you may just find me sneaking onto your property looking for a photo

if i do attract a barn owl i'll post pictures,sneaking may not be a good idea,,one word...Pyrenees.
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
You can call me DOG!

Couple action shots from today...

Two female Cardinals spotted today. Missed the male.

Name:  IMG_0220.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  117.6 KB

Variety pack...

Name:  IMG_0210.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  97.9 KB

Chickadee deep in thought....

Name:  IMG_0221.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  58.6 KB

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

klm.those two are male House-Finches,or Purple Finches,but very pretty
We have no more House-Finches or Purples
Lots of Cardinals though..