Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Little Girl Killed Trying to Save Trapped Pit Bull

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A 10-year-old girl has died after being attacked by her neighbor's dog while trying to help the animal after it had gotten its collar caught on a chain link fence.

Amber Jones was in her backyard Friday afternoon practicing cheerleadering moves when she noticed that in an attempt to jump over the fence, the pit bull was caught. As she had done several times before, she asked her mom if she could help the dog.

He mother said yes. When the girl went to the dog's rescue, the dog attacked her.

Hearing her daughter's screams, Lori Jones ran into the backyard. The dog had bitten Amber in the stomach and was now attached to her neck.

Amber's mother tried to push the dog off. A man rushed to help and got the dog away from both mother and daughter. The family does not know the man but said if he had not been there the dog could have attacked Lori Jones as well.

Amber was airlifted to University Hospital, where she died a couple hours later.

"You just try to keep it together," her father, Robert Jones, said the day after her death. "We're hanging together and trying to reason it out."

The dog was put into the custody of Animal Services and will likely be euthanized because it killed someone, said Animal Cruelty Investigator Eddie Wright. There will be a hearing during which the owners of the dog will have a chance to defend the animal. That hearing has to be held within 10 days of the incident, he said.

Robert Jones said the family that owns the dog did come to their house to apologize for what happened.

Police spokesman Joe Rios said criminal charges against the owners appear unlikely. He said the report indicates it was "just an unfortunate accident."

---

Information from: San Antonio Express-News, http://www.mysanantonio.com
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I feel for the family, but what a weird story (as usual).

Quote:
As she had done several times before, she asked her mom if she could help the dog.
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

They are always weird...I dont understand if it happend before why wasnt something done to fix it.....
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
They are always weird...I dont understand if it happend before why wasnt something done to fix it.....
I think my new signature helps to explain. Still weird though isn't it?
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:19 PM

Yikes approaching a trapped and distressed animal is a big no no without proper equipment I'm surprised the mom wouldn't of just said lets call animal control to be safe.

Really sad to hear though as obviously the girl had good intentions just very innocent in the sense of not understand that most animals can be very dangerous when they feel trapped.

Kayla