Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 1st, 2016, 11:40 PM

What antibiotic did they give JD for the URI?

Aside from this one instance where he was reacting to/wasn't feeling well after the shots - If there is any sign of him straining to pee, going small amounts frequently, peeing blood, crying when peeing or peeing in places other than the litter box - it should be treated as an emergency - urinary blockages in male cats can be deadly very fast.

A rabbit/rodent cage that has both a top opening door & a end door is great for a litter box. You can use the top door for cleaning & take the end door off & face it to wall/corner. Place it with just enough space from the wall/corner for JD to get in but not allow the dogs in for snacking.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Did JD get rabies with the other shots? I have had to separate the rabies from the others with a couple of cats. The only reaction was prolonged lethargy, like several days instead of just one. No signs of pain and no vomitting, but they are all different in how they'll react. Hope he is better now.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He seems better this morning (whew ). We're thinking his hip was sore from his shot--sore enough to make squatting in the box painful. This morning, he wanted to use the box, but was standing next to it meowing pitifully, so we brought down an additional litter box (a covered one, more on that later ) and filled it. He went to it immediately, hopped in, peed, then pooped

We took the cover off and put it on the floor next to the litter box, just to give him easier access since he was desperate and didn't know about swing doors, yet. That actually was a hit, too--he dragged his crinkly bunny-bird toy in there and a rope mouse and was happily batting them around for about 20 minutes! Who knew that litter box covers could be so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
What antibiotic did they give JD for the URI?
Unfortunately, it was Convenia. I forgot to warn hubby about it--but JD seemed to take it okay--no diarrhea or additional lethargy (but he was already lethargic from the URI, so it might be hard to tell...)

Quote:
Aside from this one instance where he was reacting to/wasn't feeling well after the shots - If there is any sign of him straining to pee, going small amounts frequently, peeing blood, crying when peeing or peeing in places other than the litter box - it should be treated as an emergency - urinary blockages in male cats can be deadly very fast.
Good to know! I know I'd read about crying at the litter box before and that it was a bad sign, which is why I immediately called the vet. I guess I've absorbed a lot of information about cats on pets.ca!

Quote:
A rabbit/rodent cage that has both a top opening door & a end door is great for a litter box. You can use the top door for cleaning & take the end door off & face it to wall/corner. Place it with just enough space from the wall/corner for JD to get in but not allow the dogs in for snacking.
This is a really good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Did JD get rabies with the other shots?
No, it was just the FVRCP. We've had enough bad reactions with combining vaccinations in the dogs that we just do them all singly now as a matter of course. So glad we decided to stick with that with JD given how crappy he felt after just the combo shot! He has to go back for his rabies vaccination in 2 wks. If we decide to do the FeLV, it'll be 2 wks after that...and we may have him neutered then, too, if he's healthy enough.

Anyone have any advice on the vaccinations? Frequency / which are impt / which can be skipped?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
This is a really good idea!
Not my idea this is how TeriM has her upstairs litter box to keep the dogs out

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ah-ha! I'll have to congratulate TeriM on her clever solution! But thanks for passing it on!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."