Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old January 25th, 2010, 02:50 PM
-

Just a suggestion

I enjoy talking about Wild Birds in general....I know other folks on this site do also, we don't always have photos on hand to open a thread....me especially .

What I was thinking if we could have an ongoing thread similar to the TJT where we just chat about them.....Anybody interested?

You probably all think I'm silly
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Me! Me! I love birds

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't thinkk it s silly Chris. I love my birdies and am one of the weird people who have their feeders in their front yard so I can watch them when I am in the living room. My neighbours are not too thrilled...but what the hey?
I am not too knowledgeable about identifying birds though, beyond the obvious, bluejays, cardinals, those little brownish ones....see how well informed I am? .
I would love to see a thread where pictures are posted with the birds identified, then I will know what it is I am enjoying watching so much!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
-

I know you love birdies Hazel, we always chat in the tjt about them, I thought it would be neat to hear what's going on in other Birdhoods
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
-

QMC this wouldn't be so much about posting pics but chatting in general as to what is happening in one hood or another, ya' know what I mean, just like we do in the tjt.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You mean like how the birds around here are singing snippets of spring song and beginning to chase each other a little more in preparation for spring?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

OK guys...I don't think I have that kind of relationship with my birdies....I just enjoy watching their antics, so I will peruse, but keep in the TJT house!!!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
You mean like how the birds around here are singing snippets of spring song and beginning to chase each other a little more in preparation for spring?
Yes, yes...what do ya' think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
OK guys...I don't think I have that kind of relationship with my birdies....I just enjoy watching their antics, so I will peruse, but keep in the TJT house!!!
Join in too QMC, surprisingly the same birds in different areas behave differently.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

When they do something particularly entertaining, qmc, you can post their antics in the bird thread

Old January 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chris thats a great idea! I post every year about my falcon friends so I would be interested!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Chris thats a great idea! I post every year about my falcon friends so I would be interested!
....I appreciate your falcon thread Winston, I just love it.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chris I am soo excited this year! I didnt get to participate last summer in the Volunteer Falconwatch cause of the surgury but this year! I am in again!

PLUS the pair having been giving me beautiful long flights right downtown Hamilton in between the buildings and god they are gorgeous in flight!

They stick around all winter and dont migrate! but they hide well! with this warmer winter I see them lots!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Cool! A little work-time entertainment! How close are you to the nest site?

Old January 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel its across the street now from where I work...but I used to be in the building next to it! (I can look from the 10th floor of our old office right into the nest!)

It was way cool! I volunteer for my 1/2 lunch and then after work I usually put in a couple of hours....its a lot of fun and very interesting to watch the parents and how they raise their young! I have learned alot about raptors too!

The young ones are entertaining too! A few yrs ago there was a male in the nest with 3 girls and OMG he was a little sF%$ disterber! always getting into trouble! Our Matriarch Mariah has maintained her nest for 12 yrs now and I am so glad I have not had to personally witness a territory battle ...as I am sure you know there is only 1 winner!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I don't know much about peregrines, I'm afraid. We don't typically have them around here. I hesitate to ask...what happens to the loser? Just driven off? Or don't I wanna know?

Old January 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Either or........depends on how smart they are! usually hormones play a roll...and funny from what I have read its usually the female that initiates the battle for territory usually. The male is always hlf the size of the female.....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

They are really a gorgeous raptor!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They really are beautiful! Most of the raptors are that way--fems larger than the males. I'd love to see a territorial squabble, but I'd be too anxious worrying about someone getting hurt... I can understand it dispassionately, but when I'm watching it, I always find myself choosing sides.

Old January 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would be biased too cause Mariah is such an amazing bird and mother!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Here ya go: The TJTwitter