Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Scaly/flaky skin?

I posted previously about my cat who has hair loss. I'm waiting to get paid this month to bring him into the vet. The areas that are balding have large scales all over. It looks like cradle cap would on an infant. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I wouldnt really put this type of thing off! Can you work it out in a couple of payments? Skin issues can be difficult to deal with at the best of times?? We really arent vets here to diagnose your pet? Are there any other symptoms? hair loss doesnt sound good?? When is your appointment?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM

My appointment isn't until the 25th of November. This is a really bad month because I've got sooo many birthdays (my oldest daughter's is 3 days after his vet appointment), but that's obviously a different topic. I've brought my cat to this vet before and they don't like doing payments, but my husband knows the owner so maybe he can talk to her. His symptoms are extreme itchiness/scratching and licking, hair loss and the skin flaking. The flakes don't look like dandruff but are stuck in his fur down by his skin. I just don't know what to do.
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_ehngel View Post
His symptoms are extreme itchiness/scratching and licking, hair loss and the skin flaking.
This really sounds like an allergic reaction. I noticed in your other thread that you feed your cat Purina Cat Chow. Even if that isn't the source of the problem (and I'm willing to bet it is at least partly to blame), your cat would be much better off on a higher quality WET food. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they must derive their nutrition from meat. Problem with dry food, and cheap ones like Purina Cat Chow especially, is that they have predominantly plant-based ingredients (like grains). Cats are not designed to digest plants. Feeding them a diet high in plants frequently results in numerous health issues, allergies being one of them.

My suggestion is to switch your cat to something along the lines of canned Wellness, Innova Evo, Nature's Variety, By Nature, Merrick, etc. You might even have to try a novel protein source like venison or duck. Make sure whatever brands you choose are grain-free. Better food is going to cost you more up front, but the savings will be in fewer vet bills.

A website for you to check out that goes into greater detail on why cats should not be eating dry food: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:35 AM
-

I also said that you need to change your cat's diet and the brands that sugarcatmom mentioned are the best. Even when you do take him into your vet do not let her talk you into feeding the Medi-Cal or Hill's brands as your cat needs to be eating grain free food as it is a big contributing factor to his hair loss, itching and flaking..