Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just a few

I can't show you anymore 'cause there are too many weeds.
Iris' just opening.
My tree peony.
My lupins. Wish they lasted longer.
Winston - I got a potato bush topiary the other day. See what you started!!
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Love the pics 14+...I hope you like it ! I do! only down side is I have to bring mine indoors for the winter..My mom had one and left it out and it did not survive...Its really funny if you let it go without a haircut! looks like a chia pet gone wild! ..You lupins are beautiful too! mine are just coming up and not looking too good!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Love the pics 14+...I hope you like it ! I do! only down side is I have to bring mine indoors for the winter..My mom had one and left it out and it did not survive...Its really funny if you let it go without a haircut! looks like a chia pet gone wild! ..You lupins are beautiful too! mine are just coming up and not looking too good!

Thanks! About the only things that look good right now. When I give mine a haircut I hope to be able to do cuttings. It would be neat to be able to sell them here without charging an arm and leg. Although a chia pet may be interesting.

Which kitty is in your avatar? He/she is very cute. I think it is time you posted some pics of your fur family. Not so subtle hint, huh?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Bomber is in my avatar and Tabitha is his sister..
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
150% PRO S/N

Pretty babies!! They certainly don't look 12 years old! I see what you mean about them being small though. Didn't you say Tabitha was a tiny little thing? So cute!!!
And how is your cold coming along? Feeling any better yet?

Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
-

Hmm - let's stick to gardening folks j/k

I wanna see photos of a potato bush please I don't know what that is.

Purty flowers 14+k more please, you have a whole greenhouse. It's amazing just living that little bit south what a difference it makes to the garden. Tho when I go into town (Newmarket) and that is only 15 mins away the difference is noticeable. :sad:
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
150% PRO S/N

Yes Chris, I have 2 greenhouses. The drawback of that is I don't have a lot of time to work in my own gardens. But I am making time now. I promised myself at least an hour a day. Should only take me until August at that rate to get my gardens weed free.
Actually, I was about to post a couple of new pics I took today. Not great ones but all I can take until I get more work done.
I will take a pic of my potato topiary tomorrow and post it here. It's a pretty neat plant actually. I have done some reading about it since Winston first asked if I had them. Winston has 2!
I was going to ask too Winston, are yours both purple? Mine is white.
As for being this far south - yep, we live in a "warm" zone. I think this area is actually considered Zone 6 although most around are Zone 7. Just going down of the mountain makes a difference too. In Grimsby (5 min away) the plants flower one to two weeks earlier than they do up here. Strange.

Old June 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post

I wanna see photos of a potato bush please I don't know what that is.

Chris - This is the potato bush. Or in this case potato topiary. The name on the tag is Solanum Rantonnetii. I found it at WM for $22.99. I think Winston has the actual bush. It is Solanum Macranthum. Very pretty trees and a tender perennial (you bring it in for the winter).
Attached Images

Old June 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
-

Very pretty, will it flower all summer? That's how big I'm hoping my Lantana will be in the year X.

My gardens are a perpetual work in progress. Right now lots of lush green, but not many flowers :sad: At the end of last summer I bought 10 plants for $8 at Loblaws and put them in my hospital (a little patch about 6' x 6' where I get sun all day) Now I have to dig them up and put them elsewhere they grew so well, I hate doing that, then they start to droop, I know they will pick-up, but the transition always has me fretting.
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
150% PRO S/N

It is supposed to flower all summer and go dormat in the winter. I am going to try to take cuttings and see how it goes.

It is scary moving plants. I moved a small Japanese Maple the other day. I really hope it takes to where I moved it to.

Old June 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
It is supposed to flower all summer and go dormat in the winter. I am going to try to take cuttings and see how it goes.

You is lucky, yous got a greenhouse :sad:

It is scary moving plants. I moved a small Japanese Maple the other day. I really hope it takes to where I moved it to.
Me - waiting for them to take.
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're beautiful, Geri! I really like that peony tree bloom--looks like a rose! Do they get big and round like a peony when they're fully opened?

And how do you get your lupine to bloom? The native lupine around here does great, but the hybrids I have in the garden put out massive lush leaves but never bloom...

I can't believe you're in zone 6! We're in zone 3...4 in a warm year. Are you that much further south than we are?

Oh, and Winston--beautiful kitties.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
150% PRO S/N

Hazel - the peony tree is only a few years old and about 2 feet tall. I have one bloom fully opened, one not quite open yet. That is all I will have this year. Next year hopefully it will be bigger and I will have more blooms. They are gorgeous! The bloom that is open is about the size of a teacup saucer.

Lupine is tricky. Hates to be moved, transplanted, disturbed in any way, and it shows you by not flowering. Unless you are very fortunate. Some people say they bloom like crazy for them. I think it's the ground they go in. Not too heavy, well drained. The best way to get them to grow for you that I have found is to just wait till the seeds are very ripe and plunk them where you want them and then ignore them. If they grow, they grow. If not, try again. I don't attempt to grow them for the greenhouse because I hate people to be disappointed in my plants. If they don't grow for them I feel responsible.

As for our location - we are only about 1/2 of an hour or so away from Niagara Falls so yep, Zone 5/6.

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

My lupine were started from seed right where they are now. I'm wondering, though, if the soil is too rich for them? It's modified black dirt. The wild lupine prefer sandy, 'diluted' soil and they flower like gangbusters!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM
150% PRO S/N

It might well be Hazel, that the soil is too rich. You could try moving them plant to a different spot with sandy soil. If you decide to try again try soaking your seed for 48 hours before starting. That gives them a better chance of germinating.

Taken from : http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...14/-1/life0604

Perhaps finer than any listed here are the plants imported from England known as Russell lupines. Developed by George Russell of Yorkshire, after many years of selection and hybridizing, their flowering spikes are 2 ½ to 3 ½ feet high, the upper two-thirds of the spike a closely packed cluster of gorgeous bloom. Seeds are difficult to germinate unless nicked with a file, and if left too long in the soil without germination are apt to rot. For this reason, it is better to sprout them in pure sand or in posting mix.

Lupine like full sun to partial shade. They will grow quickly to a height of 2 to 3 feet. Lupine will do well in average soils and in cool weather. The soil should be loose and lime-free(they do not like lime). Keep the soil moist to feed their quick growth. Water them during dry periods, once or twice per week. Adding a general purpose fertilizer once a month before blooming will result in bigger plants and blooms.

Deadhead spent blooms to prolong the blooming period. Insects and disease are not a major problem. If problems occur, treat early with organic or chemical insect repellents and fungicide.

Chris - You are right, I am lucky. Where's your hubby? I'll put a bug in his ear! And the being scared - I figure if it's meant to work out, it will. If not, try again. Doesn't mean I don't get upset. I do. But I can't change anything so I don't stress too much! My lantana will be a good size for next year too. I will have to buy more seed this winter and start more.

Old June 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey 14+kitties I didnt know they had a white one!! Guess what I am going to buy? Its sooo nice! I will post a pic of last years in bloom but its hard to make out with the wall of morning glories behind it! and what it looks like after I gave it a haircut after putting it outside!!! and one of my lillies I love the color!

Cindy
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

My new potato tree (cause I thought the old one was dead!) or at least thats what I told hubby! and my tree peony from the other day! god its nice to see some color!!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

ooops forgot the 3rd one..
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

I couldn't find the purple one Winston. That's why I got the white one. I want the purple!!! I will look at other WMs to see if they have one. I can see why you wondered if the first tree would come back. It does look a little dead. But you said it's coming along great!
I can't wait till my tree peony gets to be the size of yours! It is beautiful in bloom! And the lilies - nice colour! I think I have one similar but it doens't open till later. My lilies are all getting moved this year. Don't know where yet, just moved.

Old June 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
-

Love the colour of the Lillies Winston, I got lucky this year my g/f was separating hers and gave me two pots exact same colour, so vibrant.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

We've dried out enough that I was actually out planting tomatoes and pansies yesterday, looked over at my lupine and It has buds on it! Big ones!! Wonder of wonders, praise the Lord!!!!!

I guess the trick with lupines is to complain on an open forum that they don't bloom

Old June 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Rox - forever in my heart

14K+ : those are gorgeous blooms. The peony looks huge. Mu lupines have not made an appearance this year.

I had never heard of a potato tree/ bush. It certainly looks very pretty. I'll have to do some research.

Winston: Your lilies are fabulous.

You must be much further south than I am. The only thing blooming in my garden right now are the iris. :sad:
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Hey 14+kitties I didnt know they had a white one!! Guess what I am going to buy?

Hey Winston Guess who got a purple one!! Found it at Canadian Tire of all places. I am a happy camper now.

Thanks kimnmark! Unfortunately the bloom doesn't last near long enough in our wind. It's already done blooming for the year. :sad: Lupine is just a tricky plant. It either likes where you put it and will bloom or it won't even grow!

Hazel - on the blooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!