Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Rabies Vaccine for Cats

My vet told us that there is only a yearly rabies shot for cats, and a 3yr for dogs...I thought there was a 3-yr rabies shot for cats as well?
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM
chronically insane.

Yes there is a 3 year one. I can personally verify that this exists. I was working in the clinic at my shelter and had to fill out all the rabies vaccine certificates and can say yes, there is a 3 year one and the manufacturer starts with SCH. That's about all I remember.

I only like the 1 year ones. With the 3 year ones you can only get it after the cat has already had a 1 year one and have previous proof of it.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I wonder why my vet only uses a 1yr...what are your thoughts on the 1yr vs the 3yr? I guess I just don't like the idea of them getting it every year if there's a 3yr available
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by szelynn View Post
I wonder why my vet only uses a 1yr...what are your thoughts on the 1yr vs the 3yr? I guess I just don't like the idea of them getting it every year if there's a 3yr available
According to our resident Dr. Lee, the only rabies vaccine cats should get is a non-adjuvanted one, which would be Merial's Purevax. That one is currently an annual vax. Here is his post: http://74.55.158.149/forum/showthrea...ies#post600493
And another: http://74.55.158.149/forum/showthrea...ies#post603451

And this from the VAS Awareness website:

Quote:
Deadly cancers, called feline vaccine-associated sarcomas, have been more commonly observed since rabies vaccines began to contain an additive called an adjuvant. An adjuvant is a compound that is added to the vaccine to trigger a stronger inflammatory reaction at the location of the injection than a non-adjuvant vaccine does. There is concern that the adjuvant and the inflammation may predispose some cats to develop a vaccine-associated sarcoma. All rabies vaccines contain adjuvant with the exception of a product called Purevax ®, which was developed by vaccine manufacturer Merial.

Purevax ®, Merial’s non-adjuvant rabies product, can be given to kittens as early as 8 weeks of age. With USDA approval pending to administer this vaccine less frequently, it is currently recommended annually. Adjuvanted rabies vaccines are recommended to be given every three years, but many experts agree that the Purevax ® rabies vaccine given annually is safer than an adjuvanted rabies vaccine given every three years.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler