Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Alleric cat

It's going to be hard to keep this brief, but I will try. I rescued a cat early this year with lots of problems. All problems were resolved quickly except the skin. Diet changed to Before Grain Chicken (grain free). She was originally diagnosed with sarcoptic mange. Underwent many Lyme sulphur dips and retested negative for mange on several occasions. Scabs and skin lesions cleared up with bathing/dipping alone. Scabs returned soon after bathing was discontinued. She was put on oral prednisolone which cleared skin, but came back after stopping. Tested negative on 2 occasions for fungal infections. Allergy vet changed diet to Hills Z/D and gave a long acting cortisone inj. which cleared the skin again. Shot wore off in 5 weeks and scabs returned. Went to see a board certified dermatologist after 6 weeks on Z/D who said to give it 2 more weeks to work. Also started on Atopica daily. Started improving after 2 weeks on Atopica and discontinued z/d at that time due cost of both. I put her back on the Before Grain Chicken. After 3-4 weeks on Atopica, the scabs began returning. Changed diet to Instinct raw rabbit and canned venison. She's been off of chicken since 11/20 with no improvement.
The dermatologist does not think this is pemphigus because it is not localized around her face and feet. She thinks it is allergies, and wants to test her for airborne allergens. She is PUSHING IVD rabbit and pea or venison and pea stating Royal Canin is the only place that processes the special foods in a separate facility. $6/pound here and she hates the rabbit.
I've spent a fortune on this stray cat, but what can you do? Allergy testing is $300 with additional $220 for 6 months of shots. No guarantee that will help. Especially if it's a food allergy.
Advice please? Need more info? I got it!
Thanks,
Kathy

P.S. Does anyone know if the cat is allergic to fish, can you still give fish oil? Also, if it's allergic to chicken, can you still have chicken fat in the food? I found a venison diet (Addiction Viva la Venison) that has chicken fat in it. Their claim is that the fat doesn't have the protein in it that causes the allergy. The dermatologist says NO to fish oil or chicken fat.