Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old October 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Zoo operator

Charlotte joined the zoo

Hey all ! We adopted new zoo resident...Her name is charlotte and she is a beige teddy bear hamster. She lives in a huge aquarium. ( i have been just dying to fill it with a little pocket pet!! he he he) She is so sweet! I think she is about a year old. We had a bad start however, she got out last night, we found her were the guinea pigs usually hang out (under theshoe rack) luckily!!
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM
cat slave

awwwwwww a hammie!

can we see some pictures?I love teddy bear hamsters they get so fluffy. I had a light brown one and he started growing some odd fluffs of fur behind his ears, he looked like an alien. hehe
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
cat slave

oh and be careful, those hammies are sneaky. Mine used to live in a cage and he knew how to unhook the door open. WE had to tie the door up with wire, then he learned to untie that, so we had to tie it up in several spots to keep him busy for the night hehe
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Zoo operator

aha yes, I will add some pics as soon as I get some done, she is sorta ...nervous...so im giving her space to adjust adn havent handled her much yet. TOmarrow might be a good day
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
cat slave

awww I can't wait. I love tiny creatures Those sneaky hammies.

have you owned a hamster before?? Can I warn you against something?

My hammie would furiously chew his cage in the evenings and one night i walked in the room and he got really startled and pulled on the bars and he broke his top teeth off. And then for the rest of his life he couldn't eat hard food. We had to moisten it and the vet had to trim his bottom teeth every month. So I hope you keep that in mind and it never happens to your girly hammie one of those once in a blue moon hammie freak accidents :sad:
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Zoo operator

Wow, poor little guy! THat would make things a bit challenging eh! I will take head. In fact charlotte is housed in a large aquarium so she doesnt have any bars to chew on (lucky i guess ) but she miraculouly found a way out her first night here...likely climbed on top of the stool i put in there as cover for her...well thats gone! and i put a better top on the aquarium.
Thanks for the advice!
I have not owned a hamster before, but i believe my brother had one or a gerbil or something, i always had guinea pigs and cats lol. BUt it certianly is fun having a variety of pets !! its somewhat of a hobby for me i think.