Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM

Exclamation !Need Help -- 3 Abandoned stray kittens found in backyard

My husband and I live in south Etobicoke, and this morning we were in the backyard and noticed 4 kittens for the third time in a week. There is no sign of a mother and they appeared to be getting weaker, so we took 3 of 4 in (the 4th kept running away, too timid). We gave them some food (they were starving...
) and a bath to get rid of most of the fleas. We are caring for them for now, since we have one dog and one cat already, we do not plan on keeping them.

They obviously need to be checked by a vet, unfortunately, we can't afford to bring all three of them in. Can anybody suggest an inexpensive or free way to have them checked now and vaccinated down the road? We are planing to have a yard/bake sale this coming weekend to raise some money, but we are not sure if this is gonna be enough. We also want to try to find them good homes (responsible owners) once their health has stabilized and they are more socialized.

We also need some advice on how to care for really young kittens, they are only 4-5 weeks old, not really sure. We know all the local shelters are packed, therefore we are trying to foster them. Any suggestions are welcome!! Thank you!! We will post some pictures soon...
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM

Here are some pictures we took.
Attached Images

Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Could you try to catch the fourth kitten? Maybe take a towel out and throw it over the kitten quickly so you can pick it up? It faces certain death otherwise. Or maybe ask around and see if someone has a live trap you could use. A kitten that size you could even use a live trap meant for a large rodent. They are fairly reasonable at Home Depot stores.
If you are willing to foster you could possible contact Toronto Cat Rescue and see if they would be willing to take you on as an owner/foster. I know there are other rescues in the area who may do the same but I can't think of any. Sorry, it's been a long day.

http://www.torontocatrescue.ca/store/index.asp

Thank you for helping these little ones. You are their

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM

Thank you for the info. and support! We are going to contact the TCR 2moro. They just finished dinner and now they are ...
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're cute little guys and lucky!! I hope you can catch the last remaining kitten! And thank you for going to bat for these little munchkins.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:57 AM

How adorable these wee ones are

on catching the 4th kitten asap Any sign of a possible mama cat around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMushroom View Post
They obviously need to be checked by a vet, unfortunately, we can't afford to bring all three of them in. Can anybody suggest an inexpensive or free way to have them checked now and vaccinated down the road?
First ask your vet and then call around to other vets & see if they offer a multi-pet discount. Some will give lower rates when bringing in 3+ at the same time.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for saving these guys.

Were you able to get the fourth one. Perhaps putting some sardines outside will entice him/her to come to the food dish and as 14+ suggested, throw a towel over it.

Good luck.

Kitten Wellness makes a real good canned food for kittens. It looks like they are old enough to be feeding on their own. It looks like you are giving the kitten some KMR?? You can mix some of this with their canned food for added nutrition.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. We did see the forth kitten plus a fifth! We'd like to collect the rest of them using the methods you guys mentioned. We saw the mother, who we know has had few litters over the past few years. One neighbour even said she's had 8 previous litters, which we doubt...We don't know exactly how many, but we know there are lots of cats around that came from her...

We are thinking to trap her humanely and release her back to the neighbourhood after her being fixed. We just want to stop the "kitten factory". Plus we saw two of her kittens were killed by cars, one right in front of our eyes...this is all a result of a in-responsible neighbour!!!

We are just hoping to get the medical services done at no cost to us, since we are already spending money on food and some supplies.

Thank you, Love4himies, for the food suggestion. We are feeding our cat Wellness and California Natural, and our dog Innova. I actually really believe in the holistic approach. We just can't afford to feed these kittens on the holistic diet...which was killing me when I had to get some Whiskas this afternoon

They are soooo cute, and they already start coming to me purrrrring when I enter the room
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:30 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

LittleMushroom,,,not sure where in south etobicoke you are,,i'm kipling and lakeshore area.,,there is a petfood store on lakeshore right across from Tim hortons on 26th street that will usually give out sample bags,,if you tell them the situation i'm sure they'll help..the global pets at kipling and queensway will also give you samples,,if you get the older lady she'll hook you up there is also an oriental grocery store at brownsline and evans that will sell raw at an extremely reasonable price..If you're around me and need help trying to catch the kittens let me know and i'll give it a shot.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope you do find a solution to get momma fixed . That is probably the kindest thing you can do for her .

Five kittens

If you can't afford the kitten Wellness, then perhaps the large cans of Wellness. They are really not that much more than 5.5 oz size.
Kittens are born with underdeveloped digestive tracts so the closest to their natural diet helps keep their organs developing normally.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM

aslan, you live really close to me. I go to that global pet foods at kipling and queensway all the time. Dunno which old lady you were talking about, there is one woman there named Tracy, she is very nice, that's pretty much why we keep going back there. We are going to have our yard sale this Sunday, so if you are interested, you are welcome to come! I am going to PM my address to you. And thanks for offering to catch kittens with me. I haven't seen them lately though. But we actually have 20+ kitties around because of the inresponsible neighbour, who also always has a baseball bat in his hands when I walk by his house with my dog: loser: It would be nice if we could catch them all and get them fixed...sigh

Love4himies, do I still need to mix some of the milk in when I give them Wellness?? thx