Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Trap Neuter Release T/N/R - How to do it

I thought this deserved a thread of its' own. This is a wonderful handbook that you can download to your computer that teaches you step by step how to trap feral cats. Maybe if this information is made readily available more people would consider helping out a few cats.

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...R_Handbook.PDF

*Please note - some of the advice on supplementing is old news. It is not necessary to provide VitC to feral cats. In some cases it can actually cause damage. Thanks L4H for pointing that out.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added important info
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ooops, thanks Marko. Should have checked the link myself. DUH!! And thanks L4 mf for noticing it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Some great advice in there.

I only have one nutrition concern and that is the blurb about Vit C. Cats can produce all the Vit C they need, even those cats who are eating their natural diet of rodents/birds. Vit C can actually increase the acidity in the urine causing a formation of calcium oxalate stones and therefore I would hesitate to add any Vit C to a cat's diet unless under Vet care (or any other vitamins/minerals for that matter).

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
150% PRO S/N

Great advice L4. Hopefully most folks will use this for the t/n/r section and will feed food containing enough VitC. I'll do an edit in the starting post now.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
chronically insane.

BTW- If anyone is wondering where to order the traps from, these are the ones I use and they are the BEST ones I have ever dealt with

http://www.animal-traps.com/animal-trap-cats-tc.html

Here is a furball I caught the other day right before I released him. They are lightweight traps, very easy to use and unlike spring traps they are silent when tripped.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Great advice L4. Hopefully most folks will use this for the t/n/r section and will feed food containing enough VitC. I'll do an edit in the starting post now.
There should NOT be any Vit C (Ascobic Acid) in any cat food. Cat's produce their own Vit C, unlike humans. The exception would be if a cat has a high urine ph and is recommended by a vet.

I just don't want any members reading this and adding any Vit C to a cat's diet .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
There should NOT be any Vit C (Ascobic Acid) in any cat food. Cat's produce their own Vit C, unlike humans. The exception would be if a cat has a high urine ph and is recommended by a vet.

I just don't want any members reading this and adding any Vit C to a cat's diet .
And again - thank you. I am having major brain blips this morning. Too much going on I suppose. Good thing you got my back.

Old April 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

hey 14 any news on Half Mask? SHe is a tricky one to trap.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
hey 14 any news on Half Mask? SHe is a tricky one to trap.
She's still on the loose. They haven't tried to trap her for a while. They're hoping she'll forget what the trap is and when they bring it back out soon she'll go in willingly. Let's hope so. The coyotes are still around.