Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Unhappy My kitty has FelV

So the issue about the neuter was just about resolved, when we took him for his shots and vaccines. Because both kitties are brothers and indoor kitties, we decided to have all vaccines except for FelV, because we wanted to test first and get it done a bit later. Today we learned that Rocky, the brother is FelV positive, but that Bullwinkle, the one with the heart murmur, tested FelV negative. The vet said that the negative is probably wrong, because they were born and raised together, sharing everything from water to grooming, and are now 5 months old. We love these boys, and though we have only had them for a couple weeks, they are part of our family. We are taking them both in in about a month for a retest, and are getting them neutered ASAP, but am now a bit confused. I have read a bit about Leukemia before, but still am unsure about what is going to happen, and if they are going to be ok. I know I have to keep them as indoor kitties forever, but is there anything else I should do? Is it ok that I am keeping them and not putting them to sleep? Is FelV or FIV at ALL transmittable to humans? This is all so confusing!
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet866 View Post
Is it ok that I am keeping them and not putting them to sleep? Is FelV or FIV at ALL transmittable to humans? This is all so confusing!
Unless the animal is suffering I dont see why you should put them to sleep. Cats with FIV can live happily for many years.

FIV is not transferable to people, it is species specific - 'feline immunodeficiency virus'.

There are members on this forum who I am sure will soon provide you with much more details information...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Chicklet,a friend of mine has 5 FIV-positive cats,he's had them for 5 years,has had no trouble,they are just like normal healthy kitties.
Don't worry,I am sure they'll be fine
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe Chicklet866 is saying that her cat tested positive for feline leukemia (FeLV), which is different than the feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV).

Here are some really good links for you to check out:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html
http://felineleukemia.org/

And a Yahoo group worth joining: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeLVPositiveCats/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

SCM,thank's for pointing that out,missed it completely.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM

yeah i missed it too...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That sucks! I am so sorry the kitties have FelV. Hopefully they will be within the 15 percentile who have a long, relatively healthy life.
It doesn't take long for these little ones to wind their way into our hearts. I will keep your two in my prayers.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry that your kitties have Felv. Are they the only two you have if so then you should be ok. Its contagious with other cats you are right they have to remain indoors at all times. I did a lot of research on it when i ended up with a 6 month old kitten i named zoey and find out she was postive with it. sadly we lost her when she was a year.

Basically some small facts is some cats are carriers meaning they can transfer the virus but it doesn't usually effect them. Then others have it and it will effect them. By effect them i mean they are more prone to being sick often or if they have surgery like neutering extra care has to be taken as they can get infections easly. With boys it might be easier. With zoey being female it was a mess she got really infected.

There is no cure for it but many cats with leukemia can live up to eight years or longer. Sometimes they live shorter. It all depends on the cat. If they are healthy and acting like normal cats then i say do not put them to sleep you never know how long of a life they live but as long as they are healthy it doesn't hurt them. its mainly that attacks their blood similar to the human strand of it. thats why they get infections easly.

As far as i know it is not transferable to humans but i would wash hands after handling them before touching any other animal as you can transfer it to others that way. Outside the body it doesn't live long but if the cats are sharing food water litter then more then likely they both have it as your vet says. in kittens the test sometimes will test a false negative. But sometimes it will test a false postive. i would suggest getting him retested if you like sometimes it does change.

those are some of the info i know any other questions feel free to ask. We ended up keeping zoey with two other cats we had who were negative and it was hard but lucky the other two stayed healthy and sad we lost zoey but even if they have a short life its the amount of love they get in that time that really counts

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007

Tags
contageous, disease, felv, leukemia, positive