Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Hello -I'm new at this sort of thing

Howdy Howdy from frozen North Dakota. I'm looking for an answer and haven't been able to come up with one yet. I have a healthy 7 year old medium sized Black Lab. He howls in his sleep about 3-4 times a week. I don't think he hears any other dogs howling in the far off distance or anything like that. I tracked the time when it was happening and there is no set time. Could he just be reacting to a 'bad' dream?
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by werthr View Post
Howdy Howdy from frozen North Dakota. I'm looking for an answer and haven't been able to come up with one yet. I have a healthy 7 year old medium sized Black Lab. He howls in his sleep about 3-4 times a week. I don't think he hears any other dogs howling in the far off distance or anything like that. I tracked the time when it was happening and there is no set time. Could he just be reacting to a 'bad' dream?
First, welcome to the board. We'd love to see pics of your lab if you have any to post.

Does your lab wake up to howl or is he literally howling in his sleep?

Our dogs routinely wake up to bark when we can't hear anything. Usually it occurs when we know the local wolves or coyotes have been yapping earlier in the day--I'm not sure if our dogs just get up once in a while to warn them off in a "proactive" way, or if they're hearing them throughout the night and responding... So if your dog gets up to howl, perhaps he's hearing something that you can't...

If your dog doesn't wake up to howl, it's likely in response to a dream. We don't have howlers here...they just have big mouths ...and they shoot them off as much when they're sleeping as when they're awake.
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Live well, laugh often

Welcome to the forum . My labs don't howl in their sleep but they do whine, small barks and move their legs a fair amount.
Old January 7th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Lady Hooter and Haley (Three Dog Night!!)

Hooter 'the sleeping howler' is the one in the middle. Lady was his mother (she's no longer with us) and Big Galoot Haley is also no longer with us.
The Fiber Optic boys were a little taken aback when I told them where to and where not to dig 'because My Huntin' Buddies were buried back there'!
I had to explain what I meant!
Attached Images