Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Doggie Wench

I Don't Have A Garden But....

I so enjoy viewing everyone's garden pics and, although I don't have one yet...this is what I have found growing in and around the yard. Even though some may be considered weeds, I think they're still pretty .
Attached Images

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Doggie Wench

Still practicing using the close-up function of my camera .
Attached Images

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Can anyone tell me what the second one is?
Attached Images

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Doggie Wench

The second pic is the woods behind our house...I'm going to have to get on a pair of rubber boots (lots of poison ivy I'm told) and wander through there to see what else grows.
Attached Images

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

LP,for someone with no garden,you have some beautiful flowers,even the Dandilion and you have woods with wild-flowers,what I would not give to have that as my back-yard
No,I don't know what that flower is,pretty though.
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Garden nut

The picture you wanted to have ID? Well I think it might be Chickweed. But not sure since can only really see the flower and not the foliage.

Here's a description

Chickweed
Stellaria media L.
Caryophyllaceae

Description: Oval leaves about 1/4 inch across. Week sprawling stems, hairy stem, prostrate, white flower about 1/4 inch across, lance shaped petals, regular shape. Common ground cover.

You might like this guy on YouTube. Every few days he uploads a new video describing a wild edible plant.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds

Chickweed is on there, and Burdock and Stinging Nettles. If you happen to come across in your woods exploring a Black Elderberry, Wild Gooseberry (these usually have "spines" on the fruit and much smaller than cultivated Gooseberry), Wild Currant, maybe I can convince you to take cuttings for me. Looks like also you will have good hunting ground for wild mushrooms this fall. Who knows maybe you will find a nice patch of Chantarelle mushrooms.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; June 12th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They are pretty! I go around photographing all the wildflowers around here, too, when I have time. Some of the weeds have the prettiest flowers--I love those petite white ones. I think we get them, too. They grow like crazy and creep out and get entwined in the rest of the garden, so I pull them out when I see them there, but I let them go crazy on the rocks cuz I think they're pretty.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sometimes nature's flowers are prettier than cultivated ones. After all, they all started as weeds at some point. Occasionally you will see a plant we have always known as "weeds" show up at garden centers. Sometimes they sell like crazy; others not so much.
Your yard is gorgeous. So much space for the pups to roam.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So, LP, is this the same as your little white flower?:
Name:  White mystery weed 6-13-09.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  58.6 KB

I love them...they're so pretty...awfully invasive, though. I try to keep them out of the garden, but they do well in the rock landscaping around the house, too...I leave them there cuz they're so nice to look at, even though hubby hates 'em. aw, what does he know

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Doggie Wench

Thanks Ceara (cool link !) Chickweed .

That's the same flower Hazel. They're only growing around the bases of the decks and the stairs...a few along the house too. If your dh finds you have to many, tell him to pick them for supper...they're edible!

Speaking of hubbies...dh was going to mow the lawn today and I said " NO!" I noticed this morning that we have clumps of daisies about to bloom all over the place. I have to get markers up of some kind to make sure he doesn't go over them with the mower .
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Garden nut

You're welcome!

My new thing this year is studying about wild edible foods.

Tried Dandelion coffee. Didn't like it.

Tried Fireweed shoots, steamed like Asparagus shoots. Fireweed was yummy! Will try tea later this year with Fireweed leaves and also cook something with the blossoms.

Oh forgot to add. If you do happen to run into some Poison Ivy, there's a plant that should be growing wild there called Jewelweed. Crush the Jewelweed and apply plant juices to the affected area. Jewelweed is part of the Impatiens family.

Last edited by CearaQC; June 13th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Stinging Nettle, if you can find it, makes an excellent tea. Sort of nutty tasting...I love it. Have you tried dandelion salad? Oh, and noticed a bunch of mushrooms growing in the yard...I offered to cook them up for dh but he politely declined .

What a great hobby to try Ceara .
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Last year we tried cowslips (marsh marigold) for the first time. Not too bad, but lots of work. Lots of vitamins, I've been told.

Old June 14th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Garden nut

I love seeing all the neat pictures!

Marsh Marigold is somewhat edible, but not something to eat every day. There's a chemical in there that is not that great for humans. It is a beautiful plant. We have some growing wild in a marshy area on our land, and in the spring, all along the river banks, it's just covered with yellow blooms. I should have walked down there to take pictures but my girls are terrified of walking on the road and I did not want to go alone.

Quote:
Edibility
EDIBLE PARTS: Cooked, early spring greens are edible.

SAFE HANDLING PROCEDURES: Cover the young leaves with 2-3 changes of boiling water until barely tender; cut into bite-sized pieces, salt lightly, and cover with butter and some vinegar. Tightly closed buds can be pickled after covering with boiling water as described for leaves.

SOURCE: Angier, B. 1974. Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants. Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, Pa, 255 pp. Elias, T.S. and P.A. Dykeman. 1982. Field Guide to North American Edible Wild Plants. Outdoor Life Books, New York, 286 pp.

Toxic Principle
Protoanemonin.
Severity
TOXIC ONLY IF LARGE QUANTITIES EATEN.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Calthpa.htm

Mushrooms, gotta be careful. There are LOT of lookalikes. Some things are no brainers, like Shaggy Manes in the fall, or yummy aromatic Chantarelles. The LBM (Little Brown Mushrooms) in lawns can either be edible, "magic" or deadly. I have two large mushroom ID books and found stuff out in the woods that's not in either book! I really want to get into the log cultivation of some gourmet mushrooms like Oyster and Shiitake. You guys might like to do it too!

http://www.fungi.com/plugs/index.html

I've been trying to find Stinging Nettles, and not found any! So disappointed. That stuff is chock full of nutrients. It's said to really help with Arthritis. A couple of weeks ago I had a dr visit and he said according to my xray, I have beginning of osteo-arthritis in my spine. Joy.

According to

http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/

My area should have Stinging Nettle, but I just can't find it yet. :sad:
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll send ya stinging nettles Actually, they're not so bad--once you learn how to grasp them properly, they're pretty easy to handle...but you have to be careful not to casually brush your hand on the one next to the one you're plucking.

Yep, cowslips are labor-intensive, but very similar to spinach when you're done.

Old June 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and by the bye....not sure if either of these are chickweed now...

I found another plant that looks similar, except the flowers are only about a quarter inch (as opposed to a half inch) across and it has leaves like crab grass blades instead of the broader leaves...

Picture is a little blurry, but you can see the difference in the size of the flower:

Name:  Chickweed 6-14-09.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  50.3 KB

I'm not gonna taste either of them till I find out what they both are

My guess is the smaller one, at least, is edible, though--it matches your description of chickweed, CearaQC.

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Garden nut

Well according what I can see online, there are no poisonous Chickweed lookalikes. Maybe you just have a different strain?

Never tasted Chickweed. Gotta find it first. lol

I want to try the Lambs Quarters though. Those are in abundance here.

See if you can access this link Hazel. It's long, hope it works. From Google Books, the book is Edible wild plants by Thomas S. Elias, Peter A. Dykeman. It shows two descriptions from similar plants, both listed as edible.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=uo4G...num=2#PPA85,M1

If you guys live near water, give Cattail pollen a try. Supposed to be high in protein and from a video I watched, the guy collects the pollen from the male stalks and freezes batches and uses them to add to pancakes, waffles, etc.

Then he makes a wild pizza, with cattail pollen in the dough, stinging nettles and all sorts of stuff for the toppings, and makes a giant mess while doing it. lol

http://www.herbvideos.com/
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The video is beyond my connection's reach, but I tried the book...wouldn't let me look I do have a couple of books on edible plants, though, with instructions and line drawings but no pictures--so I have a wild-flower (including "weeds") identification book that I use to make sure I'm not going to poison myself too badly!

If you know how to ship nettles so that they survive a couple of weeks in transit, let me know. I'm more than willing to send you some. Customs might have a different idea, though!

Old June 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Garden nut

Seeds shouldn't be a problem though!
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They must be small...I've never seen any seeds.

They must also be prolific, though, unless they reproduce by rhizome, cuz they pop up all over the place.

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful flowers and a lovely piece of property u have! If u walk in the woods and think u hit poison ivy, they say if u wash by 30 minutes after u walk in it you won't get a rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Last year we tried cowslips (marsh marigold) for the first time. Not too bad, but lots of work. Lots of vitamins, I've been told.
I didn't know that. I grow them in my pond. Do u eat the flowers or leaves and how do u prepare them?

I have made dandelion jelly that was nice. Lots of work but it was good. *S*

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Doggie Wench

A few more recent blooms. Could the first one be strawberries ?
Attached Images

Old June 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Doggie Wench

I've never noticed Daisies growing on the fuzzy type of stems/leaves as in the third pic . Dh has heeded my warnings and, with much grumbling, is mowing around most of the patches of blooming flowers/weeds in the yard .
Attached Images

Old June 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

LP.I think those fuzzy-stemmed yellow Daisies are a weed and I don't think your first one is Strawberry,they have more compact little flowers.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Doggie Wench

What do I know ? The leaves do look a lot like those on a strawberry plant .
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think your strawberry might be a blackberry, LP. I just came across this one this week:

Name:  100_6577.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  77.9 KB

That vetch is beautiful (the purple cascading thingy ) and I love whatever that is that you posted just after that.

The whitish-lavendar 'daisy' with the tiny and very numerous petals is actually an aster.

So pretty, all of them!

Old June 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

TQ--we eat the leaves, although I think the unopened buds are also edible. You have to boil the leaves (and buds) three times to get the toxins out, discarding the water between boilings. The leaves look a lot like canned spinach when you're done. I usually fry up a piece of bacon till it's crisp, then fry up the chopped leaves with the crumbled bacon in some of the bacon grease.

Old June 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
I think your strawberry might be a blackberry, LP.
Cool ! There seems to be quite a few of those growing along the edge of the woods.

Quote:
That vetch is beautiful (the purple cascading thingy ) and I love whatever that is that you posted just after that.
Whatever it is, there are some that are at least 4' high.

Quote:
The whitish-lavendar 'daisy' with the tiny and very numerous petals is actually an aster.

So pretty, all of them!
Thank you Hazel. It's nice to put a name to some of them. At least it'll look like I know what I'm talking about when ppl come to visit .
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Four feet tall on those pretty pink clustery flowers? Wow!!! I wonder what they are? They sure are cool looking!

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Garden nut

The strawberry-looking plant is Dewberry, in the raspberry/blackberry family Rubus. Some people use them to make homemade wine. Food for lots of forest critters too.

http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/ph_s...ciesid=1005057