Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Cat Suddenly Vomitting

I'm not sure what to do about my cat Madison. She seems to be having trouble keeping raw meat meals down.

Almost three weeks ago she started vomiting shortly after meals. At this time she was eating commercial raw chicken patties. She had transitioned from dry food to eating raw well, and was doing fine for a month when suddenly the vomiting began.

I took her to a holistic vet, and he told me that her throat is irritated either from vomiting or an infection. (He felt her throat, and she coughed when he rubbed it) So, he gave her to take antibiotics for 2 weeks and told me to feed her wet canned food during this time since the commercial raw patties often contain large pieces of bone which could be irritating her throat. She also had blood work done which came back normal.

So, I had Madison take the antibiotics and eat the canned food for 2 weeks. Now after those 2 weeks, she is still having problems keeping her food down. She doesn't seem to have trouble keeping the canned food down though. I also tried giving her some commercial raw llama meat (containing no bone or fruits/vegetables), but she vomited that also.

I don't think she's allergic to the chicken. I gave her some plain raw chicken, and she didn't vomit that. I even started making homemade raw meals for her using a recipe (http://rawmeatcatfood.com/2010/08/20...t-food-recipe/), but she's still vomiting.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to give up on raw with her. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions?

Last edited by eternity83; January 10th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

eternity,if she only vomits from eating raw,I would stick with good quality,grain-free canned food.
My cats eat Wellness canned,but there are several very good choices out there.
I believe not all cats tolerate raw,I know my cats won't eat it
Check out the cat-food Forum,Good Luck!
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:16 PM

I think that's what I'll have to do. Tomorrow I'll pick up some high quality grain-free canned wet food for her.
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Doggie Wench

I agree with Chico, eternity. Feeding her a good quality canned is better than the raw at this point so don't feel bad, ok?

You say she kept down raw chicken meat but not the home made raw you prepared? I'm wondering if it's the bone her tummy just can't tolerate. Still, I think your best bet is going with canned for now.
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
You say she kept down raw chicken meat but not the home made raw you prepared? I'm wondering if it's the bone her tummy just can't tolerate.
That's what I thought too. But, the commercial llama meat that I fed her didn't have any bone, but she still vomited. And, I ground the raw homemade chicken meal twice, so that there were no big pieces of bone.

She was eating commercial raw chicken patties for a month, and had no problems. Can some cats suddenly develop an intolerance for raw meat?
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

What temperature is the raw when you feed it? Do you bring it up to room temp or is it cold?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM

I take it out from the fridge and feed it to her. She and my other 3 cats haven't had a problem before, but I will try bringing it up to room temperature for her and see if it makes a difference. She vomits about 45 mins-2 hours after eating raw meat.

I went to the petstore today and picked up some Wellness canned wet food for her. I want to give her a break for a couple of weeks before trying with raw again. Maybe if I baby her system with probiotics and enzymes, she can eat raw meat again.

Last edited by eternity83; January 12th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.