Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Iranian cleric issues Fatwa against dogs

In an effort to discourage the inclusion of dogs as pets, an Iranian cleric issues a Fatwa against dogs, considered "unclean" in Islam.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37794231...deastn_africa/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick,nice to hear from you again
I am sorry,but these people are unbelievable to me,not only because of the dogs,but for the way women are treated and a million other reasons.
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

While yes it is horrible to think that dogs are not as pets, but look at places like India...where cows are sacared, yet North America seems nothing wrong with eating cows.
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

The truth is,these "sacred"cows are suffering on the streets,in the cities
It really has nothing to do with some cleric in Iran deciding to order war(Fatwa) against dogs
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I am sorry,but these people are unbelievable to me,not only because of the dogs,but for the way women are treated and a million other reasons.
I know what you mean
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM

as a muslim (though it might not matter to some of you) i'd like to say that you shouldnt look at countries like iran, india, pakistan, afghanistan, and other countries that share similar circumstances as good role models for islam. i mean, its not only for dogs, theres many other things that are being blown out of proportion all for the sake of islam, which is a complete neglegance.

all animals are creations of god (Allah in islams case). so you cant discriminate against them, some people need them for livestock protection, and other things of that nature. they've prooved wonderful for drugs, bombs, etc.. etc...

yes a dog is very loving, loyal, and couragous.

yes they're saliva is considered unclean, but thats what soap and sand are for.

but for reasons other than the most obvious ones (like angels' dislike for them) theres reasons we dont know yet as to why we cant have dogs for recreational reasons.

if its a necessity then thats a different story.

really, the only restriction with dogs in islam is that you dont own one for a unecissary reason such as: i want it for a pet.

but that doesnt mean you are allowed to harm dogs, bother them, or even torture/kill aimlessly for that matter. thats basically a one way ticket to hell.

though i will most likely end up with like 2 or so GSD's.

anyhow, yeah... take it or leave it.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; June 20th, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
The truth is,these "sacred"cows are suffering on the streets,in the cities
It really has nothing to do with some cleric in Iran deciding to order war(Fatwa) against dogs
where did it say he was declaring war?

fatwa doesnt mean war. it means an opinon, or a ruling.

not war.

not that im blaming you, but thats how people missunderstand my religion
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Mickey, my angel

Thank you for your explanation, Abe. It does matter and is obviously needed. It is unfortunate that you and other members of your faith or any other faith for that matter are put in a position (on this board or elsewhere) where you need to defend or explain your religion. Unfortunately, there is far too much ignorance and misinformation about Islam here in North America, although I believe and hope that this is slowly changing.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
Thank you for your explanation, Abe. It does matter and is obviously needed. It is unfortunate that you and other members of your faith or any other faith for that matter are put in a position (on this board or elsewhere) where you need to defend or explain your religion. Unfortunately, there is far too much ignorance and misinformation about Islam here in North America, although I believe and hope that this is slowly changing.
i feel sometimes that i have to explain, and other times, i have to just grit my teeth and overlook someones rude comments (in real life or the internet.)

but its the few people who's thoughts arent taken away by the media (or whatever else) that really make you feel better.
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just wondering what happens to all these dogs? If they are not allowed to be kept as pets do they just wander? After all, a person can only own so many dogs for herding purposes or guarding purposes. If that is the case do they form packs of wild dogs? Are they allowed to breed? That then leads to sickness and inbreeding. Soon the population is out of control which brings out many many more problems.
And, before I get attacked one more time because people take what I write the wrong way, I am not talking because of the area they are in. I would be asking the same if it was going on in my back yard. This is a general question to anyone who feels they have the answer(s). I don't.

Edit to say if it were going on in my back yard I would be doing something to fix it. One person at a time slowly changes things for the better........

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; June 20th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew-sew-steve View Post

really, the only restriction with dogs in islam is that you dont own one for a unecissary reason such as: i want it for a pet.
the "only" restriction ? It's one hell of a restriction to me !!
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Just wondering what happens to all these dogs? If they are not allowed to be kept as pets do they just wander? After all, a person can only own so many dogs for herding purposes or guarding purposes. If that is the case do they form packs of wild dogs? Are they allowed to breed? That then leads to sickness and inbreeding. Soon the population is out of control which brings out many many more problems.
And, before I get attacked one more time because people take what I write the wrong way, I am not talking because of the area they are in. I would be asking the same if it was going on in my back yard. This is a general question to anyone who feels they have the answer(s). I don't.
i dont recall you being attacked for anything before. so i dont know what you were insinuating there.

as for your question, thats another issue that can be taken as neglect to the animals because some solely depend on their persons. unless they are being relocated then thats a different story.
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
the "only" restriction ? It's one hell of a restriction to me !!
i dont get what you're saying.

its a restriction, sure.

but is it causing any harm to the animal? no.

is it causing any neglect to the animal? no.

is it even gonna affect the animal? no.

doesnt mean, if you see a baby stray dog, you're not allowed to raise it. it also doesnt mean you cant nurture a wandering dog, and it surely doesnt mean cant play with a dog someone already owns.

its really the owning thing.
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I remember my father saying if you want to start an argument start a conversation about politics or religion. Once more it seems it is true.

Get the religious part out of this equation please and focus on what happens to these dogs who are not allowed to be kept as pets. That is what I care about. Do they then wander and form packs which become a danger to livestock? Simple question. Look at China and the major cull that went on before they hosted the Olympics. That was a travesty of their own making. It was also the reason I refused to watch the Olympics that year but that's another story. It was horrible to read the stories coming out of there. Dogs being shot, clubbed, etc. You can not tell me that is purely the media perpetrating stories to make news. There has to be a grain of salt in there somewhere.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM

no one is arguing with you. you said you dont want to get attacked again.

all im saying is, you never did. atleast not by me.

i came on her, to make sure my religion was in the clear, not to argue with anyone. because its obvious its gonna get tied up with the stupid rule they have.

i dont know what they are doing exactly with the dogs, i dont live in iran, im not irani, and i dont plan on visiting there. i found about this just like you did.

"You can not tell me that is purely the media perpetrating stories to make news. There has to be a grain of salt in there somewhere."

i was talking about the media perpetrating my religion, not whats going on with the dogs.

like i said, i came on her to make sure people understand this is an irani thing, not an islamic thing.

didnt come on here to argue, especially not with you.
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
150% PRO S/N

I couldn't care a monkey's hill of beans if people are Catholic, Islamic, Protestants, white, black, purple, whatever. I judge people by their actions and the way they treat other people and animals. I like most people for that. Couldn't care a fiddler's hoot for religious background. In fact if religion never came up again it would make me ecstatic!!!! This is a pet site, not a religious site.
If anyone else would like to answer or can answer without involving religion I would love to hear the responses. Other than that I am so done with this thread. Sorry Rick.

Old June 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM

well excuse me for learning my lesson from the last time my religion came up.
i'd love it if religion was kept out too, but i cant take that for granted can ii?

im very well composed, and i havent made any confrontations or anything. im just replying to what you are saying. you wanna leave, go ahead, you wanna stay be my guest. but if my religions comes up, i will too.

not here to argue or anything, here to clear things up, thats all.
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Mickey, my angel

I totally agree that religion should not matter, and defamatory and condescending statements against any religion, particularly when based on ignorance and misinformation, absolutely do not belong on this forum. Our religion or, in some cases, lack thereof is a part of who we are. As I said in a previous post, it is unfortunate that members of any faith are put in a position where they feel the need to to defend or explain it.

Abe, you were not the one who brought up religion. You attempted to correct some erroneous (to say the least) statements that should never have been made on this forum in the first place, and you did so in a very polite and respectful manner. Keep coming back.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
-

Quote:
I totally agree that religion should not matter, and defamatory and condescending statements against any religion, particularly when based on ignorance and misinformation, absolutely do not belong on this forum.
There was nothing posted of this sense . But we're all in tittle to our opinions and .. oh yes , free speech !
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew-sew-steve View Post
yes they're saliva is considered unclean, but thats what soap and sand are for.
Edited to add this paragraph: Sew-sew-steve, even though the quote was from you, please do not think my statements below are in any way aimed at you or intended for you. It's just a general statement.

The human mouth (and saliva) is far more unclean than a dogs.

My husband and I can't have children, so we have pets... and my oldest boy has gotten me through some very tough times, emotionally. I can't imagine being without him.
I understand people have different religions/beliefs, and that's fine. I don't push mine on anyone or talk down/judge anyone I don't agree with, but one thing that does bother me is you hear people saying we need to be "tolerant" to Muslim (and all other) beliefs. I say "fine", but it goes both ways. When all you ever hear in the Muslim communities (both North American and abroad) is how "western ways" and "western lifestyle" are evil and immoral (yet alot of them have no problem benefiting from the freedoms here) it becomes harder and harder to remain tolerant.

This Fatwa against dogs is just unimaginable to me. Even though the Fatwa is not intended to harm or injure animals, there will always be the extremists who take it that step further. What's to happen to these poor dogs when that happens? Keep the Fatwa in the originating country and pray those animals will have someone caring who will look out for them because it won't be tolerated here.

Just my

Last edited by Rgeurts; June 20th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well said Rgeurts
Abe,sorry if I misunderstood the word"fatwa",but we hear it often and "fatwa "against westerners,is about the same as war,it's been proven time and again..
Kuwait is a reasonably wealthy country,I do not compare Kuwait with Iran,who has a nut-case for a leader.

As for Muslims in general,I cannot say,I carry any great respect,but yes,mostly due to the fanatics from 9/11 and thousands of other horrors committed in the name of Islam.

I am certain Muslim people who only want to live in peace,is the majority,but not the ones we read about.
I just wish we could all live happily ever after,people of all color and faiths and care for all the animals in the world,before they are all gone,like you say,we are all Gods(Allahs)creatures.

Last edited by chico2; June 21st, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
I am certain Muslim people who only want to live in peace,is the majority,but not the ones we read about.

I just wish the arab world would join the 21st century and we could all live happily ever after,people of all color and faiths and care for all the animals in the world,before they are all gone,like you say,we are all Gods(Allahs)creatures.
I too am 1 million percent certain that the the vast vast vast vast majority of Muslims, Jews and Christians and atheists want to live in peace.

But to say that you wish Arabs would join the modern world is very provocative...
Personally I'd like people to reconsider their words when writing about other people's religions.

Every major religion that I know of has aspects of that religion that are not popular (depending on your particular belief - that phrase could be a major major understatement), every single one.

This forum is no place to bash the religion/traditions of other religions. We can talk about most anything around here as long as threads remain civil.

Thx - Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by marko; June 20th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I enjoy when different nationalities/religions talks about their way of life...its interesting to see how others live and to find out the truth about it besides what the tv wants us to know, sorry, just my opinion, I don't get involved in these topics because I like to stay in the background and just read and learn.*L*
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
It's not their religion they have to defend, it is the treatment of animals . Religion is not a factor.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There is nothing that can beat the unconditional love from a pet, whether it be a dog, cat, bird, or cow. Many children and adults have been consoled by a pet during very stressful times in their lives.

It is too bad that this Iranian cleric does not see that all creatures on this planet are worthy of sharing love.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:12 AM
Kitty pimp

I think we are missng a point here betwwen religion , government ant social mores. Relgion is always a factor in muslim countries, islam defines your life and is a great part of political thought and action.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
It's not their religion they have to defend, it is the treatment of animals . Religion is not a factor.
Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier but unfortunately ----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
I think we are missng a point here betwwen religion , government ant social mores. Relgion is always a factor in muslim countries, islam defines your life and is a great part of political thought and action.
the above statement seems to be the norm. That is so sad.

Old June 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM

I'll be honest, I know much less about Islam than i do about Christianity and Judaism. I am not a religious person but I am quite fascinated by religion and religious belief.

I'd be willing to bet 95% or more members also know very little about Islam.

We have an opportunity in this thread to learn a little bit from some of our Muslim members and we should embrace this learning opportunity.

Do i agree with a Fatwa against owing dogs on a personal level, no. But am I going to to bash the religion or people belonging to that religion because of what 1 cleric believes or preaches, no.

For what it's worth.....Ultra-Orthodox Jews also do not keep dogs for the same reason (uncleanliness) and it would not surprise me one bit if certain branches of Christianity also believe the same. Certainly Christianity, the prevalent religion in north America has plenty of tenets or decrees from the Church that are not acceptable to many people on this board.

Let's learn - not bash please.

Almost every Jew and Christian I know has problems with certain things that are written in their respective bibles...

What I am incredibly curious about is how this Fatwa (and Fatwas is general) affects Muslims in the western world.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:44 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Let's learn - not bash please.
Marko - in all due respect - I fail to see anyone that has "bashed" anyone else. I have asked a question that no one seems to be able to answer. No bashing intended. If it was taken that way I apologize. But this thing has been going on for the last couple of months now. I made a mistake which I apologized for a long time ago. I am done. It is unfortunate because of it I now have an ignore list which I never felt the need to have before. Freedom of speech seems to be a one way street at times.

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM

My comment was not aimed at any one person in particular.

'Free Speech' - I'm all for it, but for obvious reasons it's not an absolute in any media in any country in the world as far as i know. It's only an absolute when people are talking in private.

We the admin and mods have every right to curtail any member's speech for rudeness, spam, slander etc. This in and of itself limits a member's free speech. Every other decent forum I know is the same and every forum would be overun by spammers, trolls etc if this were not the case.

We are not perfect but most members seem to think that we do a decent job.

To end this post on a positive note...Nobody will curtail anyone's free speech around here so long as threads remain civil.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread