Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Raw Eggs

I gave my dog a raw egg for the first time. How many times a week should they get eggs. I heard that most dogs eat the shell too. He wouldn't eat it.
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

I never feed the egg whites, only the yolk. If you want to feed the shell, I would put it it in grinder and grind it down to fine powder and mix it in with the food. I give my dogs one to two eggs per week.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I give one once a week and crack it into my dog's food. If you have a large breed you could probably give two a week. I've heard a lot of dogs will instictively puncture the shell and suck out the egg....mine is a little stupid sometimes and he pounced on it and crushed it, then licked the egg off the floor. If your dog isn't into the shell, I wouldn't worry about it....as long as he eats a good-quality food he probably gets plenty of calcium. Or you can just grind it up like Sabine suggested.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Is there a reason that you don't give the egg whites. Are they not suppose to eat it. I will try grinding the shell for him. Thanks Eileen
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Young at Heart

My two Goldens get raw eggs about 3 times a week - I crack the shell and dump the whole works in their food. They love them!
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#addfood

The dog aware site says that the yolks contain plenty of biotin to make up for what the raw egg whites destroy.

Not really sure what that means but I guess it's fine to feed both.

I give eggs once or twice a week however one of my dogs prefers them slightly cooked while the other enjoys them raw.

Not sure if there is a better type to feed? I go with the vita free run but they do have the more expensive organic eggs.
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Some of mine eat eggs on daily basis. Self-served, whoever gets into the chicken coop first as whatever they find on the floor is fair game. Crunch, crunch, gobble, gulp! Shells and all, gone in a big hurry. Of course they have to carry them outside of the coop to eat them or else fight off the chickens that move in to share once the eggs are broken.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Albert's mommy

I've never heard of the egg whites being an issue either. If anything, your dog would get more protein out of the egg whites vs. the yolks. So the entire thing would be ideal.

I personally feed one whole egg plus an egg white a day. I crush the egg whites in a coffee grinder or else he will eat around them.

Now I do have a special case, where we have early kidney disease...so egg whites are more crucial to him than the yolk..his diet must get the most protein possible and the lowest phosphorous possible. By using my ratio, I get the most protein at less phosphorous.

For a perfectly healthy doggie..it should be fine. Some like to play with it and if you feed it whole it gives them something to do for a while.

I have also read that the eggs are more bioavailable if cooked. So I cook them anyway. When I'm preparing his food I get stuck with a lot of leftover yolks. I use to feed them to my fosters, they liked licking them out of the shell. Usually I'll let Albert do that with one, and he likes it.