Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Lucy's daddy

What's the best punishment for a rude groaner?

Sweet little Lucy is starting to tick me off with her unnecessary groaning and roaring. She's a little Shih-poo and can't be any harm to anyone, but I just don't want her to make that scary sound everytime I put her in her crate or take away her toys.

She also gives me dirty looks and sometimes barks.

I've only tried ignoring her as a punishment so far, but I think she needs to learn that groaning, roaring or barking for no reason is a big "NO NO".

I know she doesn't like to be in her crate and that's why I put her there to show her the consequences of her wrongdoings(like biting or eating off the plants or chewing on the expensive persian carpet! I only do this after she ignores my firm "NO" 2-3 times. Most of her training is praise-training, but sometimes it's impossible to stay on the positive side when your dog is doing wrong things.

I don't put her in the crate for more than 5-6 minutes just so she knows everytime she does something wrong she'll spend the next few minutes without her toys and inside the crate, and I love how after I let her out she comes and expresses her love by licking me all over, but she still makes very angry sounds when she's in the crate.

Please assist.
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Do you agree that, despite your best efforts, what you have tried isn't changing her behavior?
This is because...
Dogs will challenge you more than 2-3 times if they don't respect you. If they do respect you then it will only be 3-5 times. Unfortunately you stopped just short of earning some respect.
Ignoring her is not a punishment or correction. If she were chewing on your best shoes ignoring her would not teach her to stop. She doesn't care about what you are NOT doing, it is what you DO that matters.
Crates should not be used as punishment,please try to teach her that the crate is a great place to be, and her safe haven from the world.
Praising her for only the good puts her pretty high on the pedestal, and does not teach her that the real world has boundaries on her behavior.
Her growling and challenging behavior tells me that there might be love in the room, but not much respect. She is acting like a spoiled child who doesn't want to go to bed or share her toys.
She has challenged you for the leadership of the house and she is winning.
I am sorry if I am criticizing what you have done, but I wanted to point out why these methods don't work. Dogs are dogs - whether they are tiny or tall, and they can all do damage if they are out of control. Small dogs often are the worst because they are so darn cute and they get away with soooo much.
I highly recommend you get into a training class. Miss Lucy needs to start earning her keep. She needs to work for the toys, the love, the food. She needs to be grateful to you that you take such good care of her. She needs to learn to share - the 'leave it' and 'drop & take it' commands will do her a world of good. When you say 'bed' she should sidle into the crate with no arguments. When you reach for her toy she should release it to you with no hesitation. Dirty looks? I don't think so - not in this house, and back talk is out of the question.
You need to start with a new attitude of tough love for this little lady, and those licks that you so adore will come pouring from her in gratitude.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Lucy's daddy

I have nothing to do but to be thankfull to you with that great post. Nothing is better than positive critisizm.

She will be attending the training class in a few weeks(when I have time to attend them). I was just wondering how to deal with her and occasionally "PUNISH" her after she does the wrong thing.

it's easy to correct dogs by saying "NO" to them while they're doing something wrong, but when they have a piece of your carpet in their mouth and running away from you, there's nothing to say "NO" to! It's done! Is it possible to make her feel like she has just done the wrong thing?

Thanks!
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Never use the crate as punishment. Ignore her when she is barking at you for attention. Try to prevent her from pestering you for attention. You can exercise her until she is tired and/or keep her busy by giving her a filled kong to enjoy in her crate while you do your thing.
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:19 PM

You should also take a look at this thread for more ideas on keeping your pup occupied and out of trouble.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24771
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

There are 5 different kinds of pressure you can try.
1. Voice - low, sharp correcting tone.
2. Distance - the closer you get the more pressure she feels.
3. Startles - a hand clap, foot stomp, sharp word, noise startle her to get her attention and get her to drop the item and when she looks at you - you can redirect her to something that she can do - ie chew a bone.
4. Eye contact - let her know you are unhappy with strong eye contact. This works best on sensitive dogs.
5. Irritations - having her on the leash and giving her a series of short, 'dinks' with the leash to get her to focus on yo and not the thing she wants.
Important note - the most important thing in 'pressure and release' is the release. When you say no to something you need to say yes to something else or there is no learning.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended