Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM

my cat is peeing on all my things

hi,
my sister and i just moved into a new condo, and my cat is peeing on all my clothes, and bags. I don't know if she is sick or how to get her to stop plz help!
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
head in the clouds

oh no... my cat did this when she had cystitus... would sit and wee on things... orrrr... she may just not know where her litter tray is in the new place.... you should have kept her in 1 room for a few days until she settled.
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

is she pooping in the litter box?

Either she doesnt know where the litterbox is as duttypaws suggested (if shes doing both outside the box)

Shes stressed because of the move (behavioral)

Or she might just have a urine infection. My cat peed all over my clothes and in the bathtub when he had one. Need a vet for that.
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
head in the clouds

they wail (literaly) when they have an infection if i remember cos its so sore.... to widdle....

im thinking shes a little upset with the move and cant find her tray....if shes pooping in the tray... shes' just one p'd off cat!
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Not all cats cry in association with UTI issues. A vet check is still a good idea anytime there's inappropriate elimination, although stress in this case is quite likely the biggest factor. Also, idiopathic cystitis can be triggered by stress. Perhaps some Rescue Remedy or Feliway would be useful.

More info:
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

my guy didnt wail when he had an infection

Just peed on my freshly pressed pants that I was supposed to wear to my exam that morning
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Puddles didn't cry when she had a UTI either.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

All cats - like all humans are differents0- just like there are different types of UTI's so I would take her to a vet first. She is not doing this to get back at you. Cats NEVER think =like that but if you think like a cat, try to think why she might do this. Does she like the litter? Has there been a move- an upset cat might urinate inappropriately, once she is used to the new place, she should be just fine. She could be unhappy with the location of the litter box. Cats are territorial and a move is a major problem for them - gone are their special places. You have not just moved her but gone to her also are her special areas and places and things she believed were hers only. So it's natural for her to be upset. VERY upset!

My sister just moved three cats from Mass to Kentucky without too much trouble but I think it is because they have each other and all their toys and litter boxes, condos, etc are layed out in the same way as in the house they were in before.
Good luck!
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM

I read the "Cats NEVER think like that" and I'm not sure I'd agree...well I'm sure I would if you don't have an orange tabby.

I'd had my orange boy for about 6 months and my roommate gave him a swat when he was sharpening his claws on her chair. He glared at her and then jumped on top of the fridge where we had a metal tray that held keys, change, earrings, pins, and other bits and bobs. He stared at her until he caught her eye and then reached out his paw and pushed on the tray. He kept staring at her and pushing the tray until he knocked it off the fridge. Then he jumped down and walked slowly to her chair, jumped up on it, curled up and went to sleep. Maybe sometimes cats DO think like that.
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I know it may seem as if they do but science shows us they do not. We have to learn how to think like them though and I know I tend to anthropomorphisize my own cats which I should not do but they are NOT vindictive. If they do anything, it is meant fir some reason of their own and has nothing to do with getting back at us. They do not have that in their DNA. I must have raed 1000 cat books - and someone gave me a wedding present "The Encyclopedia of Cats" (like I need another cat book, heheh)

But a vet check is the first item on the list here.
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
head in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkwitch View Post
I read the "Cats NEVER think like that" and I'm not sure I'd agree...well I'm sure I would if you don't have an orange tabby.

I'd had my orange boy for about 6 months and my roommate gave him a swat when he was sharpening his claws on her chair. He glared at her and then jumped on top of the fridge where we had a metal tray that held keys, change, earrings, pins, and other bits and bobs. He stared at her until he caught her eye and then reached out his paw and pushed on the tray. He kept staring at her and pushing the tray until he knocked it off the fridge. Then he jumped down and walked slowly to her chair, jumped up on it, curled up and went to sleep. Maybe sometimes cats DO think like that.
omg sooooo funny!!!
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV