Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Gollum update

This is just to touch base. I had such helpful responses to my earlier post about Gollum, who had been diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia (not necessarily cardiomyopathy although it could be the early stages of that) and developed kidney problems. The kidneys eventually rebounded, but then the liver failed and he became severely anemic!

I took him back to my vet a few days after the anemia appeared, as he wasn't doing much except lying there in misery, unable to eat on his own, losing weight almost by the hour, and I felt perhaps it was time to call a halt to his suffering. He's only just five, so that was a hard decision. However, blood work revealed that his red cell count was back to normal. The vet then told me that with patience and persistence, there was a shred of hope that I might help Gollum at least be more comfortable.

Denamarin was recommended in another thread and I ordered some online from an American supplier, as it's not available here in Canada. I also force-fed pureed liver (yuck) and Hill's A/D, together with daily 4 ml doses of pediapred, one clavamox a day (62.5 mg), diltiazem cream rubbed into the ears, sub-Q saline injections three times a day, and potassium gluconate alternating with mashed banana flavored with a touch of corn syrup.

These troubles all began on April 29th with a heart arrhythmia that causes clots in the hind legs, leading to the kidney challenges. Now it is nearly September. About two weeks into the Denamarin, in late August, Gollum suddely jumped down from his usual resting place on my bedroom windowsill and went to the kitchen looking for food. He started showing interest in everything from dry Purina Cat Chow to Whiskas pouches and everything in between. I even made him some pureed chicken livers and he ate that on his own. And he quite likes corn syrup! If I'm eating frozen yogurt, he heads straight for the bowl to lick it out afterwards.

He's gained back half the weight he lost, and since he was too heavy to begin with, he's probably rather normal now. His appetite is fine - he eats often, in small amounts, but that was always his style anyhow. He's back to running after my older calico, then jumping on her to knock her over. He sleeps with my husband at nap time, which he wouldn't do throughout his illness. He seems upbeat and happy about life again. The only he doesn't do is run freely outdoors. We've made our deck into an escape-proof enclosure through use of high lattice nailed around it, which was initially inadequate to contain him as he jumped out twice. We raised the height, so now he's content to lounge in the dappled sunlight and collect cat treats whenever they're offered. He is a different kitty. Next week he's going for a complete blood assessment, so we can then decide how to proceed with the meds. I'm hoping I can cut down on some of the dosages, at least.

My only dilemma now is that he's picked up a couple fleas. They itch; he scratches. The vet recommended that Advantage would be the safest choice, so I have it sitting here awaiting application. But I'm scared! I know it's low in toxicity, and that it is primarily an external medication as opposed to systemic. The vet feels he'll be fine with it, and I don't want flea anemia. Does anyone have experience with Advantage as applied to a less-than-healthy cat?

Thank you so much to those who offered support and advice. I just wanted you to know how things have been going so far. As far as I'm concerned, that Denamarin is amazing! I've been after my vet to get some and he seems interested.

Brenda

Last edited by faranya; August 28th, 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo