Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Abused and abandoned pets: Will Montreal’s $23 million change anything?

There is also a podcast at the end http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...ange-anything/

In the caption under the picture they suggest this person is helping after a puppy mill bust....THAT's the bigger issue imo.

A shiny new building is a band-aid. Yeah a shiny 23 million dollar building is good I guess....but it won't help Quebec from continuing to remain the puppy mill capital of Canada. Not a thing.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM

I do think it's a step in the right direction.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

A 23 million dollar building for pets is a good thing.

Hard to say it isn't a good thing as jobs will be created and abandoned pets have a newer place to hang when their owners dispose of them.

But quebec has a problem. it has a reputation for being a terrible place for pets. If you were an abandoned animal you would never choose Quebec as your hope because all of the other provinces are better choices.

We need to EDUCATE quebecers on animal welfare and animal suffering. We need to make Quebecers feel PROUD about being the best province for pets. We need to get Quebecers to be MORE disgusted when they come across the relentless animal cruelty in the form of puppy/kitten mills.

There are many issues that Quebec leads on with regard to social welfare and progressive thinking. The 23 million would have been better spent on education imo.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Angry Proposed Montreal Bylaw

The city of Montreal needs to call in outside experts from the other provinces and the United States. As long as they don't deal with the source of the problem (selling of unsterilized pets in pet stores and over the internet) this problem of abondoned pets will continue. This bylaw also proposes putting a limit (2 dogs and 2 cats) on the number of pets permitted per private dwelling. Many responsible pet owners are able to handle more than the four pet maximum in their "private" dwellings. If these pets become a nuisance to the neighbors, then this problem can be dealt with under existing nuisance bylaws. The SPCA Montreal is also against placing a limit on pet ownership. Someone has to take in the abondoned stray animals and keep them out of the neighbors' gardens. Then there is the proposed licensing fees for cats. This extra cost will only discourage people from taking in stray cats and may lead to some people abondoning their pets. We, the people, who take in abondoned cats, sterilize them, keep them indoors and provide them with loving forever homes are not part of the problem but rather are part of the solution. The government is part of the problem for refusing to deal with the source of the problem. No mention of whether this proposed bylaw will contain a grandfather clause. Imagine a government official telling you that you have to give up one of your pets. It would be better that they give the twenty three million dollars to local SPCA'S and vet clinics to provide for low cost spay/neuter and trap/release programs in the local municipalities. Now if we could come up with a politician control bylaw to deal with our major corruption problems.