Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 19th, 2004, 10:54 AM

How Important are Pets to People??

How Important are Pets to People?

More and more Canadians are becoming pet owners. In fact, studies indicate that over 50% of households in Canada have either a dog or cat, and more and more people consider themselves to be more than simply a pet-owner – they see themselves more as ‘pet parents’.

In a recent survey of Canadian and US pet parents conducted by AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association), the special relationship that people have with their pets became very clear.

Some key findings from this study:

84% refer to themselves as their pet's "mom" or "dad"
72% first greet their pet when they return home, 13% first greet their spouse or significant other; and 7% first greet their children
63% celebrate their pet's birthday and 43% give their pet a wrapped present
87% include their pet in holiday plans and celebrations, with Christmas topping the list
65% have sung or danced with their pet
44% of pet owners have taken their pet to work
52% have cooked or prepared a special meal for their pet
Pet-Related Employment Stats

More than half of pet owners surveyed have taken time off of work to tend to a sick pet.
92% say they consider vaccinations and routine care to be critical to their pet's quality of life
67% frequent their veterinarian more than their own doctor.

Heather
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

That sounds about right. Pets are a big part of people's lives anymore. I know I love my pets and everyone else on this board does also. Thanks for the neat info.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I've always had animals,don't really know what it would be like without them,they are our comfort zone,always there for you no matter what,they make you laugh even if you don't feel like it.
When we go on vacation,having our son stay with the cats,we cannot wait to get back home to our cats,weird,eh
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

That is not weird at all that is a sign of a good mom. I know you love your pets and it shows.
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:26 PM

Thumbs up

My pets are very important to me They love you without judging you. They are defiantely a comfort zone for me also. I get so upset when I see animals miss treated. I feel if you can't take care of them properly than you shouldn't have them. I joined this forum today and I really like it JENN
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Jenn!! What pets do you have??
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Jenn good to have you on board. Lookforward to talking to you soon. What kind of pets do you have?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM

Thanks everyone! I have 2 cats....Mr. Kitty is black and white and he was born without his tail. He is so pretty. My other cat's name is Mikey...he is tiger stripped. I adopted him from my vet I also have 1 dog....he is a black and white Springer Spaniel. He is my baby What kind of pets do you all have?? JENN
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:24 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ciara is my life. She stuck by my side two years ago when my world fell apart. Now it is time for me to do the same for her.
I could have a higher paying job in either of my two career fields, in a job I actually like, instead I choose to work here where I live. I can check on her, go for walks and rush to the vet if needed anytime.
I bake her a birthday cake every year. I make it from ground turkey and for the frosting I use Gerber strained turkey. Also "Frosty Paws" dog ice cream.
Fun is had by all...
The rear of my suv is all for her. The leather seats have always been down with an eggshell crate foam mattress covered in a flannel sheet. She has her own set of food/water bowls & toys for the truck.
She has the bedroom, I sleep on the couch.
She has more toys than I ever had during my entire childhood.

Nah.....she's not special.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:27 AM

Welcome aboard Jenn!!!!

I love my pets and treat them like my kids (they're all spoiled kids and dogs).

I have a Pit Bull, Pit Bull Mix, German Shepard. and 3 two legged kids.

my pit bull's name is Petie and he is the best dog I ever had and I grew up w/alot of different dog breeds. hubby rescued him from his job, a woman needed to find a home for petie, he grand kids were moving in w/her and were allergic to him.

my pit bull mix name is Thor, he was a very abused, neglected dog. hubby rescued him also the day they were going to put him to sleep. hubby brought him home, and he's come a long way.

next but not last, my german shepard his name is Ruger (actually he's hubby's dog). When my hubby and i met he already had ruger. Ruger has become our escape artist, and destructer of the house. Within 4 days he did 4 different things. On Wed. he chewed our toilet seat, on Thurs. he knocked the baby gate down that is blocking the steps to go upstairs, and on Fri and Sat he and our 2 other dogs were all outside in the kennel and he learned how to open the door, so he opened it and all 3 of them took off thorugh the neighborhood. We did get them all back safe and sound.

ruger is well i don't know right now, i'm just upset w/him. i hope he'll be good again and VERY Soon!!

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Jenn,I have three cats,Rocky,Chico and Vinnie+some wild friends outdoors and I don't mean the neighbors
Karin you are a very devoted mom,is Ciara sick? I remember you telling us about your ordeals with illness,but maybe I remember wrong
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I've never been without pets in my life, except for one period when I lost my elderly cat and dog within two weeks. The house was cold and dead without any pets, so that didn't last long!

Welcome Jenn! I have 3 ex-feral cats - Stinkerbelle (the boomerang kitten), Owen and Owen's mom Emma - and a pit bull named Chloe.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I have 2 cats, a rotti/shep X dog, 2 fish, 2 giant african land snails, 3 leopard geckos, 1 house gecko and 1 anole. Busy household!!! I too have never been without pets in my life!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

My pets are my life..I have never not had pets.And this may sound a bit silly,but there have been times when I just needed to be away from hubby and daughter.So I would make a coffee,grab a book and hide in my room.The only ones allowed in where the dogs.They would lay on the bed,one on each side.This was very relaxing for me.And a major stress reliever.

Welcome Jenn...

I have 2 GSD's...Yukon and Tron... 2 1/2 year old Calico,Phoenix(back home)..An 8 month old kitten,Casper,white DMH with ice blue eyes(deaf).And our newest edition is an 11 week old kitten Winnie,brown buff colour tabby.Who is starting to put Casper in his place.....
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Welcome Jenn,I have three cats,Rocky,Chico and Vinnie+some wild friends outdoors and I don't mean the neighbors
Karin you are a very devoted mom,is Ciara sick? I remember you telling us about your ordeals with illness,but maybe I remember wrong
Ciara has a very long list of problems. I realize she will not be with me for a normal lifespan due this breed because of them. We take it day by day, here for the moment.
Right now she is feeling wonderful! Credit to the Metacam....she is due for her Adequan injection today but since she is snoozing so peacefully I'll wait until later.
*won a little lottery money again the other day, once I leave the Lottery office on Tuesday & go to the bank, (must set up a new account to cover taxes), the balance is going for stocking up on her medication that has brought her this far. So really she won! Yeah! Tires for the truck can wait.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

yay Ciara won lotto, she should be in the tv ads (i would probably buy it then) gosh you a nice mummy.
Welcome Jenn, to our faaaabuuulous board of lots of very nice, charming and happy people.(well, we do try )
i agree with heathers post, it is all true and lovely. sometimes i think i would not be able to breath without my charlie girl, she is an 8yo GSD X and is the spunk of my life, i believe we were meant to be and she is the true love of my soul, she is my one constant in a world of variables (so is hubby but she was there first). i just adore her, we have been everywhere together and shared some great experiences. i was a bit of a wild child before we met, and when we did, boy did she teach me alot about life and responsibility ( but we were lucky, i dont think this is the best way to learn these skills, a dog should not be there to teach one this, but again we were lucky that i was pretty smart and able to catch on quick). we have hitchhiked all over australia together(wet blanket husband wont allow this type of behaviour anymore, what a sh@*), been to great parties together (she used to take me home afterward, oh that was very handy at times) and us girls feel so safe together, it is like we are a team and if you mess with us, well we have a good chance of looking after ourselves. it is a different love to that of any human relationship i have known, it is not a love that is spoken, we have no trust issues or we dont argue or the rest, we look at each other and there is nothing else, she just loves me so much how can you not feel special? and when i have been so sad i though my heart had broken, along comes charlie to give you a cuddle and everything just seem to work out and all right, oh she truly is the best . and well trained to boot which always makes me so proud of her, she is rarely naughty these days. so anyway i will stop now before i explode and say i love my dog for the millionth time, yay for charlie the wonderdog
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:52 PM

Just in case I have not mentioned lately ...

I love Ciara sooo very much.

If I have mentioned it before I am not sorry for the repeat.

*Question?..... How does one go through life without animals sharing their lives?

I cannot fathom this...I pity anyone who has not expeirenced what they are missing out on...some people do not like animals....
Their lives must be very empty....I shy away immediately from them.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:59 PM

i love my pets more than anything in the world, i think everybody should have apet
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

bitz, i totally understand your excitement for pets, but i really dont think everyone should have one, and a few people with them now shouldnt have them either. are you new here, never met, well welcome tothe best darn animal board in the west (am not sure what i mean here, so dont ask) .
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Isnt that the truth,huh! mel..
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Karin,I am soo sorry about Ciara,but you two are very lucky to have each other,I know the love you feel,it is soooo strong.
Some people might think you cannot have that feeling with cats,but I love my cats so much it sometimes hurts and I think they love me back,they show it in so many wonderful purry,furry ways
and yes,I pity anyone who's never had the wonderful,comforting experience of having an animal to love. Ooops,getting mushy
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Ciara is doing really good right now...I always treasure these moments and try not to think about the down side.
Today I was able to pick up an extra supply of her Adequan. This will last her until next year. Tomorrow I will pick up another bottle of Metacam and other suppies. I want to be stocked up, I never know when I will have the extra cash.
I love cats very much too. We had a feral kitten living with us last year, (the "terrorist"). Ciara loved her and wants a cat again so much! Ciara plays and ends up hurting herself...sometimes I wonder if guarding her as I do can be doing harm to her also...am I being to greedy, over protective? She loves animal companionship . I am so very afraid all of what we have acomplished in the last year will be undone if we take on another.
Sorry...snibbling again.