Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Shadow is having incontinence issues

Well Shadow has started to have problems with her bowels. She seems to be starting to show signs of incontinence. The last few days she has pooped under my desk at work, right in a corner, and I've never even noticed her getting up, I honestly think it's just happening when she's asleep. Today she didn't go while we were walking, and when she jumped into the back seat of the car she pooped. Boy was she upset! We have a good doggy seat cover/protector so it was no big deal, but I'm afraid it's not a good sign. Just the exertion of jumping into the car and turning around was enough to trigger it. I think the arthritis may be affecting her spine and her nerves now. Will be taking her to the vet tonight to talk to him about our options. I don't know if trying Tramadol or some other med might help. If you have any suggestions please let me know, I'm open to it all. I do know though that if she does become incontinent we will not go with diapers, we will make the decision to put her down as it is clearly a sign that her body is failing her. So throw me some suggestions friends, I don't want to go the other way if I don't have to yet.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, half an hour after getting to work now Shadow started pacing so I headed her outside and she barely made it out to have the runs. Ah gotta love old age.... At least this time she was able to get up and walk to let me know.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Awww... poor old girl. I can honestly say that age may have something to do with Shadows, but our poor little Nookie has those issues as well. He does what we have termed "The Potty Run"
When he has to go, he doesn't give us much notice (he may not have much notice himself, we haven't quite figured him out yet). He will run, full speed, to the front door, then to the back door. He has a real sense of urgency when doing this. Over the weekend, I ran to let him out and the poor little guy was hunched a bit and spinning in a circle at the door. You could tell he was trying to hold it, but it just didn't work and he dropped a couple of small ones at the door. OnceI got there and opened the door, he bolted out pooping as he was running. I hope Shadows is just due to her maybe having a little tummy upset. Hugs to you both

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes, I know the potty run. That's what she was doing today! Poor Nookie he's too young to have these issues.

It seems our regular vet is away this week. Now I'm trying to decide if I should take Shadow in or just wait until my regular guy is back on Monday. He's been working with us with her arthritis from the get go, so he's very familiar with her.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; August 23rd, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Half Way To Crazy

DD is it only the incontinence issues that is your worry or is it something else??

is it also the inflammation that is concerning you??
there is a homeopath pills that was brought to my attention, haven't tried it yet cause bree hasn't had any problems with her shoulder (knock on wood) so not sure if it would work, but they do say it was clinically proven to reduce inflammation it has arnica in it
traumeel
it's for muscle pain, injuries and inflammation

if it was me and there is nothing else wrong with shadow I probably wait until your reg vet comes back, unless it worsens.

poor shadow
Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Breeze, really right now it's the incontinence thing mostly. We've had some really nice weather so her arthritis has been behaving nicely. I just remember when we first started with this issue (the arthritis) it all came up because she couldn't walk one day, she kept falling over. The vet said she had swelling in her spine that probably was cutting off the circulation in her legs. He did not suggest, or do, xrays or anything, just based on the fact of her advanced age and arthritis issues. I mentioned to him at the time that she would sometimes poop right in the middle of the road when we were out walking. He gave me a funny look but didn't offer any opinions. So I'm thinking that the incontinence could be from arthritis in her spine area. I'm not sure that doing xrays is really going to tell us anything more than we know, she's very old and has arthritis. Anyhow, I'm inclined like you said to wait until next week unless it gets worse. Will look up traumeel you mentioned. Tks.