Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM

dog has blood in urine

Yesterday when I picked up Guinness from daycare/grooming they told me they'd observed him peeing blood, said it wasn't much but thought I should know. I was hoping they were mistaken, but no, when we got home last night he did have blood in his urine (which I was only able to see thanks to the snow in the backyard). Honestly, if they hadn't noticed it, I probably wouldn't have last night as it was dark, so still wouldn't know. I called the ER vet and they did say it was ok to wait to call my regular vet in the morning unless I observed him in pain or unable to urinate. So today we have an appointment and I am bringing in a sample. Just wondering what are some causes of this? If it is a UTI, what makes a dog prone to getting those? btw, Guinness is a male dog. Could he have crystals? I know cats get those, and it is more of a problem for males.
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Probably an infection, easily cleared with antibiotics.
Reminds me of the bright red urine on a snowbank that I spotted last week, wondering if the owner had seen it, or taken his poor animal to the vet :sad:
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM

thanks, I hope it is something easily cured! He's otherwise been acting normal, so yeah, it would be easy to miss this problem if it weren't for the snow, at least until he really started feeling bad.
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I went through this several years ago with my male Dachshund - he had bladder stones - scared the heck out of me when I came home to find him peeing blood. I would take to vet as soon as possible to determine cause.
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
-

The most common cause of blood in the urine is a UTI but it can also be a bladder or kidney infection. Good luck at the vet and keep us posted.
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:28 PM

I always assume the worst when it comes to these things. Hopefully the lab results are done by the time we get to the vet's... but my dog seems comfortable and doesn't act like he's in any pain. We're supposed to leave for my parent's place tomorrow, too, but now not sure what we'll do. If this is really serious, we may have to stay in town. What causes bladder stones? Could it be something he's eaten? Poor Guinness