Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm hoping Benni's appetite increases soon, 14+. Is she still eating a little dry food at least?
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM

I had success with tubing

Hi 14-

I hope Benni is still doing well and eating on her own. I just wanted to add though.

About 1yr ago my cat Janie decieded not to eat. She lost 2lbs in a pretty short amount of time. I tried force feeding her but she and I hated it!! Plus she wasn't gaining at all and only maintaining. Sooo, after many vet visits and lab work it was discovered she was in liver failure also, likely because of the not eating and developing fatty liver disease. I then made the choice to have a feeding tube placed. BEST CHOICE EVER!!! Im sooo glad SCM suggested it as well as my vet. It made life soo much easier for both her and I. I gave all her meds down it and the whole process took maybe 5-10mins. After about 6weeks one day I tried not feeding her and she started eating on her own and has since. She also gained all her weight back.

If you end up in that situation I would go with the tube for sure. Plus, its not really that expensive in the grand scheme of things too.

Becki
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
-

How are things going with Bennie today?
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ so glad to hear she ate!!! Hope she will keep eating on her own or letting you feed her the easy way. You are in my thoughts lots with all your little kitties! hang in there!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

LP - Benni still eats some treats and a small amount of dry every day. At least she is maintaining weight now.
Becki - Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate it. I am very glad Janie started eating for you. I'm hoping soon Benni decides she needs more than just tuna. It's been a very long haul but I'd do it again.
rainbow - She has eaten almost a whole can of tuna today! I am still giving her other foods as well but she is still turning her nose up at them all. Stubborn girl!
MWW - Thank you my friend.

I am just very glad her blood work came back so much more improved. Of course I am keeping an eagle eye on her. She is getting a lot more exercise too. She still hates all other cats but loves to spend time with me walking around the house. When I pick her up she gives me little kisses on the cheek. Oh, I forgot. She shared a little bit of pear with me today too. I figured it wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for everyones' continued prayers. I believe they are helping.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so glad that Benni is eating something on her own. That is HUGE progress. Can you mix a wee bit of cat food in her tuna and slowly increase the amount of cat food?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I think Benni is fooling you,she loves all the attention and tuna(just kidding)
Good news on the bloodwork
With such a truly dedicated mom I am sure little Benni will eventually be ok
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

L4 - Just wanted to say a huge thank you again for sending food along for Benni. I really appreciate it! I will try her with it with her next feeding. I tried mixing a very tiny amount (around 1/4 of a tsp) of food in with her tuna the other day. She refused to touch the tuna.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You are welcome. Hopefully she will eat some of the Almo. It is not nutritionally complete though.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
150% PRO S/N

Almo tuna and shrimp - nope!! Can you say stubborn? I am leaving it with her. Hopefully she will eat some later.

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

But it is just tuna with a few shrimp in it , no salt though , could it be the salt?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
But it is just tuna with a few shrimp in it , no salt though , could it be the salt?
I have wondered if it's the salt myself. I hope not. I'm beginning to think she has kidney issues too. She pees a lot and I am not SQing her. The vet told me to stop because she was afraid her kidneys would get flushed out. But nothing showed up in the blood work.
I'm not giving up. Will keep on trying. She has to eat something sometime.

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I have wondered if it's the salt myself. I hope not. I'm beginning to think she has kidney issues too. She pees a lot and I am not SQing her. The vet told me to stop because she was afraid her kidneys would get flushed out. But nothing showed up in the blood work.
I'm not giving up. Will keep on trying. She has to eat something sometime.

You would think, but now that I have witnessed Sweet Pea not eating, I know how easily cats can get turned off food .

Puddles prefers her tuna with sodium, but will now eat the Almo.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM
-

Benni, stop being so stubborn.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Come on benni you gotta eat!!!!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
150% PRO S/N

Benni's eating BC Chicken!!!! Yay!!! I have tried every single food I could buy for her. BC chicken she's turned her nose up I don't know how many times. I finally left some of it in her crate with her and her bowl of tuna. The tuna was gone when I got home from work and I didn't fill it up right away. I just went out to the kitchen again to put cat food away and clean and she was eating the chicken!!! Whew!! This has been a long haul. I hope this is the start of a turn around.

Old November 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, what a long haul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Now I just want to shake that girl for giving us such a scare , but really it would turn into just a huge hug and kiss

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Now I just want to shake that girl for giving us such a scare , but really it would turn into just a huge hug and kiss
You and me both!! Actually I waited for her to eat what she wanted and I did give her a hug. Now we just have to wait to see if she stays eating.

Old November 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
LP - Benni still eats some treats and a small amount of dry every day. At least she is maintaining weight now.
Becki - Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate it. I am very glad Janie started eating for you. I'm hoping soon Benni decides she needs more than just tuna. It's been a very long haul but I'd do it again.
rainbow - She has eaten almost a whole can of tuna today! I am still giving her other foods as well but she is still turning her nose up at them all. Stubborn girl!
MWW - Thank you my friend.

I am just very glad her blood work came back so much more improved. Of course I am keeping an eagle eye on her. She is getting a lot more exercise too. She still hates all other cats but loves to spend time with me walking around the house. When I pick her up she gives me little kisses on the cheek. Oh, I forgot. She shared a little bit of pear with me today too. I figured it wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for everyones' continued prayers. I believe they are helping.
Are u concern that with her eating all the tuna she is, that she might become addicted to tuna? I know your just giving her the tuna cause she will eat that,,,but I didn't know if u knew about the problem with some cats, that they become addicted to tuna.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

TQ,I am sure 14+knows that.like we all do,but Benni ate chicken,which is great news and that she continues
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:06 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Are u concern that with her eating all the tuna she is, that she might become addicted to tuna? I know your just giving her the tuna cause she will eat that,,,but I didn't know if u knew about the problem with some cats, that they become addicted to tuna.
Debbie
No TQ. I am concerned about only tuna because there is no taurine in it and way too much salt. She wouldn't touch the tuna for cats. It had to be human grade. That means salt added unfortunately. I wanted something a little more nutritionally complete and she wouldn't touch raw either.

Old November 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay! I'm so glad she's finally eating.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
-

Great news 14k