Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM

I believe my male cat is attempting to mount my dog O.o any one else ever see this?

I have a 2 year old, female German Shepard / Border Collie mix. She's about 80 lbs. I also have a 6ish month old, male kitten.

Now, these two have always gotten along, and they always play quite physically. It's adorable to watch.

I'm starting to notice something new though. Now, I've only ever noticed this once, and at the time I thought my dog was in heat, so I didn't think on it all that much.

My kitten, Kaden, climbs onto her back, which she doesn't really mind since he's so much smaller than her, and he bites the back of her neck. He bites her pretty regularly when they play, so that didn't really tune me in at first.

But as I was sitting here, typing up a post oddly enough, I noticed that he was moving his hind end oddly, as if he was trying to mate with her. I flipped him on his back and sure enough - the cat was .. well let's say 'exposed'.

Not too worried, just thought it was odd and wondered if anyone has had this happen with their animals? Possibly if there's anything I can, or even should do about it.

Really odd if you ask me though .... o.0 - makes me feel bad for Jersey - my dog :S
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is what he is trying to do. It would be a good idea when you take your kitten to the vet for worming, shots, etc if you take your dog along and get her fixed as well. Then you won't have any worries.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM

I should have mentioned that. Jersey is spayed. I kind of thought she may somehow be going into heat anyways because my mother's male dog - who isn't neutered yet - suddenly started acting very protective of her, sniffing and pestering her, and trying to mount her. It's not the first time it's happened. The first time Kaden mounted her I thought it was because she must still be releasing the hormones somehow, but my mom's male hasn't been acting oddly at all the past few weeks.
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Catlover2

Get your pets spayed & neutered!

Your 6 mo. old kitten's hormones are starting to kick in and he's starting to feel "studdy". Have you had him neutered? If not, you should and that will probably stop this behaviour, as he will become more frustrated and more aggressive as he gets older if he's not neutered. Right now it's not really doing the dog any harm as long as she doesn't object. You say you "thought my dog was in heat" ??? Why have you not had her spayed?....at 2 yrs. she should be, as coming into heat will not be good for her continually and may result in more expensive vet bills in the long run or unwanted pups. Please! get both your pets fixed before you run into more serious problems.
While editing I see that your dog Jersey is spayed.....but do get your cat neutered as soon as possible.

Last edited by catlover2; November 1st, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ah, ok. She will not be in heat if she is spayed.
The kitten is reaching sexual maturity then. It would be a good idea to have him neutered asap. If he isn't he may start spraying which is an entirely undesirable action. Please keep him indoors. Especially now. Once they reach this age they start to wander looking for females. One thing the world does not need is more kittens.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

If Jersey is spayed she cannot possibly go into heat. A lot of mounting behaviour between dogs has to do with dominance, not sex. Your mother's male was likely trying to show dominance with her. And if he is not fixed, some intact males will show an interest in any female they see, even if they are spayed. I've had a few develop quite the interest in my female, who was spayed ages ago.

It's definately time to get your kitty fixed though! Please do so ASAP.

I have to admit, I've never heard of a cat doing that to a dog.....definately odd.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
150% PRO S/N

Chaser - if the cat and dog have a close relationship it can happen. Weird, I agree.

Old November 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM

thanks for the replies will definitely get Kaden neutered as soon as I can afford it and can arrange for a visit to the vet - as we live in a small town and don't have our own.

thanks again
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Chaser - if the cat and dog have a close relationship it can happen. Weird, I agree.
That is so bizarre!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

See, Messina still goes into a kind of heat...she gets all friendly and coos a lot...none of the screaming butt up thing, but it lasts about a week every few months ...and Seth, well he is always ready to go

Maybe because both got fixed after a year? Maybe because I have wierd cats like me

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM

I think some cats are just weird, My male cat tigger will occasionally try to hump my 6 month old puppies head! He has been fixed since he was a year old and also humps blankets and stuff...So obviously some male cats do this anyways even once fixed. However i do think the head humping may have had something to do with the dog park, maybe Riley got jumped on by an in heat female??

Tags
dog, kitten, odd behavior