Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old October 10th, 2004, 11:09 PM
2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot

Arrow Wanted: Small breed mixed pup

Please e-mail me the particulars if you have a pup (a very small breedX or daucshundX) that requires a loving forever home.

We presently have 4 furry kids (OLD shepX, poodleX, daucshund and cat) that are all rescues from local shelters.

We are located in Northern Ontario, so if you are in the vacinity it would make adoption much easier.

Thank you ,
Andrea
asark@hotmail.com
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't see any small breed young dogs in Northern ON., but there is an adorable dachshund mix in Toronto. She sounds pretty perfect.

Doxie mix
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

You should try Kathy J - her rescue is 15 mins south of north bay, in Powassan. RR3- 430 Oakwood Road Powassan Ontario Canada
705-724-2630 or bearcreek@efni.com http://ontariopetrescue.com/
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:27 PM
2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot

Thank you both for your wonderful suggestions!!!

After visiting your suggested sites (and MANY others), I am starting to wonder if starting some sort of dog rescue of my own would be a viable option. Rather than giving one dog a loving home, perhaps fostering various dogs in need would be an option. See, my husband's work calls for us to soon move to a town that has no animal care facilities (though a a pop. of 3000). It is located 2 hours from the nearest SPCA too.

Initially I was considering a very small boarding facility with basic grooming and basic supplies... but why not a rescue??! It may help stop people form disposing of unwanted pets in inhumane ways... what could be a better thing to do?!!!

If any of you have tips or hints as to how to pull off this kind of thing successfully, please let me know... and funding options as well... I hope to have a rudimentary business plan put together in the next week or so...

Thank you all again!!!
Andrea
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Make sure you have a healthy bank account, plenty of room to isolate new animals, and don't take in more animals than you can care for. It's very hard to turn down animals in need, but try not to take owner turn ins, and concentrate on pets who are already homeless and /or in danger of being killed.

Start with one dog - get it vetted, take care of any behavioral problems it has, print up adoption applications and contracts, charge an adoption fee, and carefully screen any potential adopters.

You'll need to do lots of legwork and try and get sponsors. Contact all local media, like newspapers or radio stations to advertise your animals. Get to know local businesses and you may be able to hold adoption clinics on their premises.
Fund raising can consist of garage or bake sales, raffles (if you can get a business to donate a prize) or dinners.

You will need to find a vet who will help you out by charging minimal fees too.

Before getting involved in all this, I really suggest you volunteer for a rescue or shelter and get a good inside look at how things run.

Good luck!
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:03 PM
2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot

Thank you...

I appreciate the input, and will start things one at a time. I think I will start with the small grooming/boarding thing and perhaps grow from there. I can foster a few dogs in the meantime, and see how things go.

"Start small - dream big"... I don't know who said it, but it suits me well at the moment!!

Thank you all for helping me make a big decision!!!

Any further ideas would be great too!

Thanks again!!!
Andrea