Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

mystery limp

I believe I've asked about this in the past, but I can't find the thread, so here's the short (kind of) re-cap:

About 3 years ago Streets developed a limp. It was pretty noticeable, and recurring, but never lasted too long. One day, seemingly out of the blue, in the middle of a walk he just refused to move and had to be carried home. Once there he could barely move without screeching so off to the vet we went.

X rays of his neck, shoulders, elbows and examination by 3 different vets proved useless. Everything looked perfect and none of us to even locate the specific area causing the problem, beyond just that it was something in his front half.

A few weeks of restricted activity and a couple of days of anti-inflammatories and he was fine.

For a whole year he's fine, no sign of a limp at all, then last summer he starts having a slight catch or glitch or something unnoticeable to anyone but me in his gait. Again though, it's there one morning and fine by the afternoon. I take him to the vet a couple more times, once we discover a small cut in his foot and assume that's the issue, another time we can't figure out at all what is going on and she just suggests some rest.

Every fall/winter/spring there is no sign of the limp, summer roles around and it shows back up, never anywhere near as sever as it was initially, but there on and off none the less.

So here we are again, Streets has this weird "catch" in his step on average every couple of weeks. It usually only lasts a few hours to a day and then disappears again. I've spoken to my vet about it and she doesn't seem too concerned and only suggested massage and not going on long walks (which is verging on hilarious because I refuse to live with a wound up psycho Streets).

The other out there theory I had, after reading about this in humans, is that inflammation in one part of the body (in this case Streets' flare up of colitis which happens in the spring/summer every year) can cause inflammation in other parts of the body, specifically joints. In theory my vet seems to think this is remotely possible, but has never seen it.

I can't find a chiro or acupuncturist who work on animals here, and in any case I still don't know what exactly the issue is.

So, the question, finally lol Do I get more x rays taken? Do I get a 4th opinion? Do I assume it's some weird muscle injury or arthritis in his toe or something equally hard to figure out and just leave it be? Are there other options I'm not thinking of?

I apologize for the length of this , it's just driving me a bit nuts trying to figure it out.