Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Unhappy Mylo, my cat, has a discharge from his anus and is sick

Mylo, has a clear thick discharge that come from his anal area. He can be sleeping and when he gets up the towel or blanket is soaked. I even saw it come out when he meowed. It does not have an odor.
He does not eat anymore and I can tell he does not feel good. He drinks a lot of water and his urine output is ok.
I took him to the vet, and she took xrays, but could not give me any answers. Just said he should eat, and gave me some pills to make him hungry. My cat is sick, and I don't know what is causing this clear liquid stuff to come out so much. Any help would be appreciated. Mylo is only 2 years old, been inside all the time, and never sick until 3 days ago.
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstandfest View Post
I took him to the vet, and she took xrays, but could not give me any answers. Just said he should eat, and gave me some pills to make him hungry.
Did the vet take any blood for analysis?

Is your cat able to defecate? Has he started eating yet?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
-

I think I would take him to a different vet.
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree, get a second opinion, even when his appetite comes back, you haven't gotten any answers. Did the original vet take a sample of the discharge or wasn't it happening when he was there? If so, you'll have to collect some yourself ( but necessary) in a clean container and take it in.
When he has an appetite make sure you give him soft food, like boiled chicken or decent quality canned food; dry kibble will irritate a sore stomach (if that is in fact the problem). Did he have a good look at his anal glands? Does the discharge smell of anything in particular?
Poor guy.
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I think I would take him to a different vet.

Ditto. :sad:
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Unhappy Mylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Did the vet take any blood for analysis?

Is your cat able to defecate? Has he started eating yet?
I took in a sample of the yucky stuff and she just looked at it and put it down.
No he has not defecated yet, not since Saturday. But he has not eatin either. He ate about 1 bite tonight. The stuff is still coming out. The vet said if he was not better by tomorrow, she would do blood work. She said she would have to sedate him to do that.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Swift Tribe

holy cow, a cat not eating for more than 48 hours is serious business!! please get him to ANOTHER vet along with a sample of the clear stuff. see if they suggest force feeding. have you tried different wet foods or cooked foods, raw meats?? your greatest concern is getting your cat to a point where he will eat.

please please please get him to another vet, tell them whats happened so far. cats, unlike dogs, develop serious health complications from not eating for even short periods of time. no more than 24 hours really.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Totally agree with want4rain, he needs help now! X-rays are not enough to go on at this point, he may need IV fluids. Why does the vet need to sedate him to take blood? Is he very fractious? Did he have to be sedated for the x-ray?

The others are right, I'd be getting another opinion. Are there any cat-only vets around you?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Mylo update

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
holy cow, a cat not eating for more than 48 hours is serious business!! please get him to ANOTHER vet along with a sample of the clear stuff. see if they suggest force feeding. have you tried different wet foods or cooked foods, raw meats?? your greatest concern is getting your cat to a point where he will eat.

please please please get him to another vet, tell them whats happened so far. cats, unlike dogs, develop serious health complications from not eating for even short periods of time. no more than 24 hours really.

-ashley
Well, we made it thru the night with Mylo.
The pills the vet gave me has given him a little appetite. He eats a little at a time, all night long, making sure to wake me up each time he wanted something. I tried cottage cheese , no luck, tried yogurt, no luck, so opened a can of chicken, and that got him started eating. This morning he is eating a little of his cat food again, but he is still drinking water constantly. That is not like Mylo . It seems the drainage has slowed down some too.
He pees a lot, naturally, but so far no poop. That worries me. No vomiting tho, so far. Everything stays down. He is now on antibiotics and some good bacteria for his intestines. He hates that.
To draw blood , they take it from his neck, so she said they had to sedate him to do that. I guess just enough to keep him quiet.
The vet won't be in for another 1 1/2 hours so I will keep you posted.
I really appreciate everyone help.
Cindy
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He eats a little at a time, all night long, making sure to wake me up each time he wanted something. I tried cottage cheese , no luck, tried yogurt, no luck, so opened a can of chicken, and that got him started eating.
Glad that he's at least eating something. Can you get some plain chicken baby food (no onions) and offer that? Most cats go nuts for it.

Quote:
.....but he is still drinking water constantly. ....
He pees a lot,
That is a bit worrisome. Make sure the vet checks for diabetes (blood glucose), hyperthyroid (T4 test), and kidney problems (BUN, Creatinine, Urine Specific Gravity). These can all cause dehydration (despite the excessive drinking) and result in constipation. It's good that he's not vomiting.

Quote:
To draw blood , they take it from his neck, so she said they had to sedate him to do that. I guess just enough to keep him quiet.
Blood can also be taken from a leg vein. Any good vet tech can do either one without having to sedate the cat (unless the cat is a freakazoid). It almost sounds to me like your vet is afraid of cats.

Quote:
Cindy
Definitely keep us updated.

Old February 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

you get some answers at the vet today!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Red face Tues update on Mylo

Quote:
Well, we made it thru the night with Mylo.
The pills the vet gave me has given him a little appetite. He eats a little at a time, all night long, making sure to wake me up each time he wanted something. I tried cottage cheese , no luck, tried yogurt, no luck, so opened a can of chicken, and that got him started eating. This morning he is eating a little of his cat food again, but he is still drinking water constantly. That is not like Mylo . It seems the drainage has slowed down some too.
He pees a lot, naturally, but so far no poop. That worries me. No vomiting tho, so far. Everything stays down. He is now on antibiotics and some good bacteria for his intestines. He hates that.
Cindy
My this is getting to be a regular story here.
Anyway, Mylo is still on the med for good bacteria in the intestines, and pills for his appetitie. He is still eating a little at a time, discharge subsided, but still drinking a lot of water. BUT, we had a poop today!! Now how about that!! Never thought something like that would be exciting. But get this, in the little poop was something round and hard, about the size of a marble, but not a marble, I don't have those around the house. I think this may have been some of the problem.Can't figure out why it did not show up on xrays. HMM, It may be syrofoam ball from the plant he was tearing up one day. I did not take a real close look. Yuck!
In any case, have a dr. app. tomorrow for blood work, Thinking about not going. I dont want him to have to go thru that if not necessary. He is getting better a little at a time. Will let you know if I go.
You guys out there are great, !!
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad that things are looking up! What a relief. Hopefully the mysterious object in his poop was the problem and Mylo will be a-okay now. Keep on eye on his drinking/peeing though, as too much can be a sign of something going on. Might also just be from the appetite stimulant. As an aside, if you aren't already, you might want to start feeding him canned food rather than dry. It's much better for all cats, but especially the boys. http://www.catinfo.org/

Old February 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
-

I would also save the "little marble" you found in his poop.

And, if he does need bloodwork, I would go to a different vet that can draw it from his arm instead of sedating him.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Glad that things are looking up! What a relief. Hopefully the mysterious object in his poop was the problem and Mylo will be a-okay now. Keep on eye on his drinking/peeing though, as too much can be a sign of something going on. Might also just be from the appetite stimulant. As an aside, if you aren't already, you might want to start feeding him canned food rather than dry. It's much better for all cats, but especially the boys. http://www.catinfo.org/

I did not know that canned food was better. Everyone tells me to keep him on dry food for his teeth. Of course he eats both, and mostly canned. I am glad to know I was doing the right thing.
Thank you,
He continues to improve, but still drinks a lot of water. His meds will be finished in 3 days, if he does not return to normal by then, will be doing blool work.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM

My cat Kami is doing the same thing!

This just started with her last night... very odd. Same as mylo--- clear, thicker than water, no odor whatsoever... also drinking lots and peeing loads. Every once in a while, a little pink tint to the clear but that's it. Thought maybe anal sac issues but with no odor, there's no way.

Now that some time has passed, did Mylo ever repeat, or did you ever find out anything conclusive?

thanks and hope Mylo is well!!

Mom to Kami (et al),
Cynthia
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
-

Poor Kami. Have you taken her to the vet yet?
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Haven't taken her in yet-- this just started last night out of the blue. She's been a "howler" for some time whenever she toilets, but last night she was very vocal... at first I thought she was peeing little spots on the floor but then I saw all the wetness on the sides of her tail. Poor kami indeed

I will be calling the vets today to see if I can get her in this week. I am glad to say she has a great appetite still, that's a plus She had lost it badly for a while, she's so old and likely in renal decline so every few months we have a downhill slide. But she's perked back up. She was very constipated recently, but that passed (omg i was amazed at what she passed!).

By the way your little kitty smiley looks just like her LOL

thanks for the group hug!!
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
-

I would get a geriatric blood panel done. A senior cat should have one at least once a year.....preferably every 6 months to stay on top of any medical issues.

What are you feeding her? A premium/holistic canned food is best especially for an older cat.

Good luck at the vet and please post with an update. It would be best if you started a new thread as well. The OP of this thread has never come back after posting here. If your Kami does have renal/kidney issues there is lots of great information here on that.

Sugarcatmom is our cat guru here, as well as growler, and they will be able to give you lots of help.

Oh, and btw, welcome to pets.ca .....we would love to see pics of your fur family once you are able to post attachments.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome

Kami does not go to the vet regularly because the couple that i used to take her to were very particular about treating her when I didn't want to pay for unnecessary things. Then she started having reactions to vaccinations, and trips to the vet were INCREDIBLY stressful for her, so I have kind of resigned myself to caring for her at home over the years (pretty successfully so far, knock on wood). I have done rehydration with her, brought her back really from what appeared to be the brink of death (eyes sunken in, pupils enlarged so entire eye was black, skin sagging, no appetite... all over a matter of DAYS it happened), treated her constipation, skin disorders, etc. She's my old soul and I know at her age her days are probably not that many more... but i love my old gal

I need to find a reasonably priced veterinarian who will accept my answer that I do not believe in vaccinating her (she's a STRICTLY indoor cat so one of them finally said "well she's at very limited risk of catching things... so follow your belief if that is what you feel is best for her"... then he moved LOL) and still treat her. Due to her age many treatments are kind of out of the question as well.

Poor old gal... just love her to pieces!!

and one day i will definitely post pics of the furries!
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you can find a more holistic vet in your area that will listen to your concerns (and ya, an elderly cat that has had reactions to vaccines SHOULD NOT be vaccinated!! - shame on vets that only look at the $$$ they're losing). Here's a directory listing for holistic vets: http://www.holisticvetlist.com/

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM

i will absolutley not vaccinate her now!!! no way!

I have sent an email to a holistic vet who does housecalls... hope it works out!!

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynister1 View Post
This just started with her last night... very odd. Same as mylo--- clear, thicker than water, no odor whatsoever... also drinking lots and peeing loads. Every once in a while, a little pink tint to the clear but that's it. Thought maybe anal sac issues but with no odor, there's no way.

Now that some time has passed, did Mylo ever repeat, or did you ever find out anything conclusive?

thanks and hope Mylo is well!!

Mom to Kami (et al),
Cynthia
Mylo is doing very well, I took him to the vet and he was put on antibiotics and some special food. IT took him about 4 days to feel better. It was an intestinal infection if left unattended, he could have died.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM

HOORAY for happy endings!!!!! yay Mylo!
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
-

cstandfest, I am so glad to hear that Mylo has recovered and welcome back.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:18 AM

cstandfest thank you for checking in to update us Good to hear everything is well now.

Cynister1 you say she howls when she uses the litterbox is this while peeing or pooping? At 16.5 years old Kami needs bloodwork to check for Hyperthyroidism - cats tend to be very vocal w/HyperT, among other things and a urinanlysis to check for both kidney function as well as crystals and/or stones - while more common in males crystals & stones can affect females as well

Quote:
she's so old and likely in renal decline so every few months we have a downhill slide. But she's perked back up. She was very constipated recently, but that passed (omg i was amazed at what she passed!)

If she has kidney failure her body will be removing excess water from her poop making it very dry & hard, not to mention painful, to go.

How does her poop look? does it look dry, crumbly, light in colour? If so she could be constipated w/very dry poop - this is what my cat w/Kidney failure was dealing with. If she is constipated you can add 1/4 teaspoon of pure organic Butternut Squash babyfood to her canned meals & less than 1/8 teaspoon of ground flaxseed ~ mix teaspoon w/water then add a little to the food to help lubricate her poop.

Good luck hope you find a good vet that does house calls

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; May 21st, 2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post

Cynister1 you say she howls when she uses the litterbox is this while peeing or pooping?
The meowling (meowing/howling) is at an amusing time... she alerts me AFTER she has gone and tried to cover it up-- always! She dosn't use the litter box anymore (i think because her legs are a bit arthritic, it hurts to get in/out), she uses puppy pee-pee pads... and after she goes, she comes and tells me Some nights though she is VERY vocal at the most annoying hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
If she has kidney failure her body will be removing excess water from her poop making it very dry & hard, not to mention painful, to go.

How does her poop look? does it look dry, crumbly, light in colour? If so she could be constipated w/very dry poop - this is what my cat w/Kidney failure was dealing with. If she is constipated you can add 1/4 teaspoon of pure organic Butternut Squash babyfood to her canned meals & less than 1/8 teaspoon of ground flaxseed ~ mix teaspoon w/water then add a little to the food to help lubricate her poop.
Her poops lately have been pretty soft-- with the switch to wet food and occasionally adding just a smidge of mineral oil to the food, after she passed a massive, DRY stool (it looked like palm tree fiber it was so dry and hard!), she's been passing softer stools. I also mix just a bit of dry food in for more "substance" and give her some extra fiber when it seems she needs it.

And oddly enough, when I got home from work last evening, she was SO bright-eyed and bushy tailed, no discharge any longer, very energetic and ran me down when i took the canned food out-- there was a pretty large poop in the box so I wonder if that was hers and that was the problem.

Still keeping a vigilant eye on her!! I'm 7 months+ pregnant so I'm giving her all the attention I can right now

Thanks!!!
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The meowling (meowing/howling) is at an amusing time... she alerts me AFTER she has gone and tried to cover it up-- always! She dosn't use the litter box anymore (i think because her legs are a bit arthritic, it hurts to get in/out), she uses puppy pee-pee pads... and after she goes, she comes and tells me Some nights though she is VERY vocal at the most annoying hours
My grrl does that too - kinda like a "Hey you, I'm done in there, you can clean it now "

When she goes for her next check up which @ her age should be every 6 months have them do a geriatric blood panel & a Thyroid check

Quote:
Her poops lately have been pretty soft-- with the switch to wet food and occasionally adding just a smidge of mineral oil to the food, after she passed a massive, DRY stool (it looked like palm tree fiber it was so dry and hard!), she's been passing softer stools. I also mix just a bit of dry food in for more "substance" and give her some extra fiber when it seems she needs it.

And oddly enough, when I got home from work last evening, she was SO bright-eyed and bushy tailed, no discharge any longer, very energetic and ran me down when i took the canned food out-- there was a pretty large poop in the box so I wonder if that was hers and that was the problem.

Still keeping a vigilant eye on her!! I'm 7 months+ pregnant so I'm giving her all the attention I can right now

Thanks!!!
Instead of the mineral oil I would add a little ground flaxseed or melted butter to help things move alittle smoother, mineral oil cannot be completely passed out of the intestinal tract.

Some info on mineral oil http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....612#post554612

Yeah my grrl feels much better after a good poop too, when they get older the body functions slower so it takes more energy reserves for regular things like that.

Please be sure you are not the one cleaning the pee pads, there is a transferrable parasite called Toxoplasmosis that can affect unborn babies in pregnant women.

Keep us posted on how Kami's doing

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:34 AM

The mineral oil was at the suggestion of not one but two veterinarians... so alas that is where i went with it Maybe she was getting rid of THAT... quite honestly, the consistency of what she was passing could definitely have been mineral oil! no smell, all clear... HMM! And yes, LOL... the "Hey you, i'm done, come clean up after me" would definitely suit my little sassy queen. I am the one cleaning up, but always wear gloves and use antibacterial disinfectant-- this is baby # 4 for me, and i've never in my life NOT had cats in my house (wow) and my OB doctors have always assured me after THAT much exposure, i'm probably so immune to the Toxoplasmosis that they could make a vaccine out of my blood

My Kami has limited exposure to vet offices these days-- mainly because a.) she is not up to date on vaccinations (she had bad reactions to them as a youngster and the vet said "As long as she's not an outdoor cat, or exposed to outdoor cats, she's fairly safe not being on continuous shots"... however, that vet retired... and now the vets around here are all interested in making $$$ and won't see her unless I bring her in...get a FULL series of shots... a huge panel of labwork etc) and b.) she is physically stressed by car trips than most cats are-- she becomes sick for days and nearly faints from the hyperventilation. There is a veterinarian who I work with via email just for Q&A stuff and he says i've really been doing a great job of care at home (i have intravenous hydration materials, syringe feeding supplies, pain meds, supplements, you name it) and that at 16.5, preserving her quality of life (i.e. spoiling her rotten ) is probably much better than having her poked and prodded and stressed out.

Whew! I love that baby though!!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM

Cynister1 - sounds like you've got a good handle on things

I guess it is possible it was mucous clearing out the mineral oil in an unusual way

Yes I agree, quality of life is most important at this age, my girl Duffy just turned 17 years old, has been through Hyperthyroidism and is currently dealing with kidney failure but she looks, feels and acts like a 5 year old , and she gets whatever she wants

Lots of for Kami, you & baby too