Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 13th, 2006, 10:38 PM

New behavior problems with my adult cat!

I hope that I am in the correct area. This is my first post! My family is in the process of moving from Colorado to Pennsylvania. I didn't want to upset my cat too much with the packing and the boxes, so I sent him to Pennsylvania with my husband. My sister offered to take care of him until we arrived. She has had him for about one month now. We will be picking him up in about a week. My problem is that my sister is complaining that my cat chewed her wooden cabinets, her bedspread, her chair pads and her table cloth. He has never chewed on any of these items at my home. Also, I am concerned that when I do pick him up will he do this at my new home. I am at a loss as to why he has just started to do this. He is two years old and I am wondering if these will be new habits or if he is just acting out. I know that moving is very upsetting to animals but I need some tips on how to curb these behaviors. Thanks!

Last edited by Christin; September 13th, 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Hi and welcome, First off I would relax the kitty is probably a little stressed and perhaps your sister had bought different cat food for her, creating more stress to her diet and creating an anxiety. If you haven't had any problems with her chewing in the past then you can pretty much blame it on the stress of the move and it will subside, however, should you find that she does want to chew after you are both settled don't be shy to offer her a chew toy! Honestly some cats like to gnaw on them you can use catnip to encourage the proper item to chew!! not the couch or the bedspread etc! hope this helps and ugh with moving bet you'll be glad when thats all over!
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM

Thanks

I was hoping this was the case. I feel a lot better now! Thanks for the encouraging words!
Christin
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
cat slave

maybe he's very upset that he's in a new house and doesn't recognize anyone. He probably thinks you've given him away.
I'm sure things will setlle when you reunite
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM

i agree with the others, it is the stress of the move. I had a perfectly housetrained cat pee all over my favorite coat when i brought a kitten home because he was unhappy. Once you pick him up and he settles in to the new place he will be back to his old self. You might try setting up one room first and limiting him to that one space at first. If there arn't boxes, and he recognizes the stuff (a chair or bed he likes to sleep on, ect.) he won't freak out as much.
Old September 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Christin,cats are very habitual,do not like changes in their lives and get really stressed.
I am surprised he's chewing and not scratching or peeing.
Is he declawed??
Don't be surprised if he shows displeasure moving back with you in your new house,it will still be an environment not familiar to him.
Lots of TLC will eventually cure him of any stress,but don't be alarmed if he is not behaving like your normal sweet cat for a while.Good Luck!