Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old September 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM

URGENT - Deaf pitbull needs foster home ASAP

Wonderful white pitbull, deaf, needs foster care ASAP or will end up on death row. He is absolutely wonderful, great with kids, dogs and cats. He loves people in general and is very affectionate.

If you can open your home temporarily to save his life, please contact me at sophie@rimasec.net. This is an urgent situation.
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:50 PM
AmInaL

Where is he located?
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Give a little more info about the dog please, such as is he crate trained, and good with male dogs ???
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no.

Sophie, please try posting on this board:

Bullies in Need
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Yes, he can be crated (that's what he's been doing for the last 2 days - almost non-stop....), he gets along great with all other dogs (so far anyway), and is very sweet.

Right now he's couped up in a crate in my kitchen, I live in Montreal. Anyone interested in saving his life, please contact me ASAP by phone (514) 523-5052 or e-mail at sophie@rimasec.net as I don't have much time to come on the board these days.

I need to find a solution by tonight for this poor guy........
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM

I'm a bit confused, please don't take offense but how would the dog end up on death row if he is presently in your care?
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM
AmInaL

If I was closer, I would most certainly foster him. I hope he finds a safe haven.
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I am in Toronto and could not possibly keep him (so I say now) but if I can help out for a short term solution I will. I am working on a T.V. series and I am gone 12 hours a day. I take Bud out to the park for an hour or two before I leave which wears him out but I don't know if this guy could be left that long but maybe as a interm stop on the way to his forever home. Bud is partially deaf so that is not a problem for me. PM me if you think this could help out I think it is a better alternative than what could possibly await him instead. Also there is a girl in the loft upstairs from me that might be able to help me out as well. She has owned dogs and she might just fall in love with him and find him a forever home
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

That is an unbelievably kind offer, mastifflover. Would your friend be prepared to deal with the problems - legal, insurance, muzzles etc. that go with owning a pit bull in TO?
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

That is wonderful of you to offer Mastifflover but what about the legality of it? Can you bring in a pit bull from another province and foster it?? As far as the dumb a$$ bill I mean? Can we even foster pit bulls??? I thought there were only a few placas like the Humane societys etc. that could still adopt them out and I know none of us that have pit bulls can qualify, I know you dont have a pit bull but does anyone have more specific legal info?
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have no problem with not saying where the dog came from and I can do the muzzle if need be even though I am totally against muzzles for these innocent dogs but I would do it. Insurance would not be a problem since I am a firm believer in leashes and he would not be off lead. Also as far as I am concerned this is all a bunch of BS and if the village idiot has a problem he can deal with me directly because he does not scare me one bit but, I am sure if he was met at the door by Buddy he would run away like the little pansy a$$ he is. I have also found by talking with the police and animal control in my area they have absolutley no interest in enforcing this stupid law and only will if they feel there is a dangerous dog involved.
P.S.I am at work so I will check in throughout the evening

Last edited by mastifflover; September 28th, 2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I am heading out for the night but I will be back in about 1:00pm. I am willing and I hope nothing has happened to this poor guy. But post or pm me and I will check when I get in tomorrow
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Insurance would not be a problem since I am a firm believer in leashes and he would not be off lead.
I mean home insurance.

You are a wonderful and caring person to offer to take this poor dog!

Quote:
if the village idiot has a problem he can deal with me directly because he does not scare me one bit but, I am sure if he was met at the door by Buddy he would run away like the little pansy a$$ he is.
You must be referring to M.B. I"m so glad to think that he can sleep peacefully knowing he's safe from the locking jaws of the canine terrorists.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Pitbull

OK, I need to clarify once again. How could any of you even doubt me? I am getting tired of having to "explain" myself. I will not be putting this dog down, but hear me out.....

First of all, he's no longer headed for deathrow as I had the guy deviate and bring him to me....and believe me I gave him ****. This was a foster family who offered to take this dog, dog which was not "in my care" to start with, but he was saved and needed a roof. So I helped find a foster home, who turned out to be jerks, unfortunately. These things do happen, and it is beyond my control when we are talking about urgent situations.

So he's safe and sound here, but he cannot stay. I am overloaded with dogs, and have way too many at my place. This dog is massive, heavier and much stronger than me, has knocked me down twice and is uncontrollable (for tiny little me). Some of you know of my little grouchy Max, and I cannot take a chance that Max will attack him, so he is basically quarantined and crated.... I cannot keep him here. What are this guy's options?

The person who rescued him has no solution, and I have no solution. So what are this guy's options? I have done more than my share of rescuing, and I cannot handle this one. It was bound to happen sooner or later, and it's hapenning. So where does that leave the guy? Crated in my kitchen 24/7 and going on my balcony as I can't even take him out?

That's what I meant.... If I don't help him, who will. I know lots of you are out there daily, can any of you help save his life?

Hate me if you have to, I'm not Mother Theresa and never claimed to be.... so where does that leave the little guy? I'm doing my best, I can't work miracles. I've been trying for a week and I have no solution.

You know where to reach me to help save this guy, as he has to go back into the care of the person who rescued him, and she has no options right now..... She can't take him....

Think what you will, there comes a time when we are just overwhelmed with rescued dogs and I'm there now. I can't help this guy right now.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:18 PM

Please don't get upset. I think Tigger was just asking for background info. I for one know you're doing your best and I also know that no matter how hard you try, you can't save them all. :sad: We all admire all of you in rescue who work your hineys off for these furries. You guys are saints, even if you can't save them all. :love:
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Please don't get upset. I think Tigger was just asking for background info. I for one know you're doing your best and I also know that no matter how hard you try, you can't save them all. :sad: We all admire all of you in rescue who work your hineys off for these furries. You guys are saints, even if you can't save them all. :love:
Exactly. The post was rather confusing as many members know how hard you work to help the pits. Thank you for explaining it more clearly.
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Lil Rickymom, I for one appreciate and respect everything you are doing to help these poor animals. You are doing WAY MORE then most people are willing to do.
So please don't let the comments get you down!!!

And here is a little poem for you (gives people just a glimpse of what your life must be like)

Lament of a Pooped Out Rescuer

There was a time, there really was
When I was sweet and kind.
When there were days I never thought
Of washing a pup's behind.

I went to bed at half past ten;
Having spent my day just shopping.
Now I spend my days at home
Washing doggie beds and mopping.

It started quite some years ago,
When a friend suggested "Rescue,"
And so began my arduous journey
Taken on without a clue.

I used to dress with flair and style,
That was the life, don't knock it.
But now I dress in jeans and tees
With treats within my pocket.

I used to have a cute sports car
That I drove from store to store.
Now I drive a big ole van
With crate pads on the floor.

My house was always finely furnished
With oriental rugs of many loops.
But now I have only pleather and tile
Easier to clean up pees and poops.

Once I spoke of national issues
With much adeptness and proficiency
But now I speak of transports, vet checks
throw-ups and its consistency!

I was taught to be well-groomed
No matter the time of day.
Now by the time I feed and walk
At noon I'm still in PJs.

I used to long for exotic trips
Continental cuisine I would be fed.
Now the thing I yearn for most
Is to find room for my body in my bed.

I adored a man who charmed me so
With roses and fine jewels.
But now the words I live by most
Are but three - "Rescue Dals/Danes Rule!"

I rise at dawn and begin the day
Full of barks and kibble and fleas.
I'm lucky if by 3 p.m.
I've had the time to pee.

I really love this doggy life
I wouldn't care to change it.
But when there are no pups to place.
I plan to rearrange it;

When my time on earth is done
I hope it can be said
Merry was a real good rescuer
It's just too bad she's dead!

Merry Jo - she was a good ole gal!
Author Unknown

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You are doing WAY MORE then most people are willing to do
You do a HECK of a lot more than I could ever do!!
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Any luck with this guy yet? It seems to be raining pits lately. :sad:
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I am still willing to help and I do have renters insurance. Contact me if I can help
Old September 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I spoke to her today. He is good with other dogs, but very big, and strong. No manners from what it seems. Since he is deaf, training will be alittle more complicated. He is crate trained, but needs a very strong person, as he pulls like there is no tomorrow. No luck with him yet.....still there, but she really does not know what to do....mastifflover, PM me please, I will see what we can work out with her. He really is a good dog, just no training at all...Not many people can train a deaf dog, I know I would find it hard....
Old September 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

There is someone who rescues only deaf dogs, and has a great website with tons of info.
http://catatonic.freeservers.com/penny/deafdogs.html
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Well I am still willing to help and I do have renters insurance. Contact me if I can help
Again Mastifflover that is wonderful of you! I don;t understand the conversation around insurance. The bill does not require it and so far neither does Toronto. good luck to al of you, Lil Rickys mom, i don't know you but I have seen lots of your posts trying to help foster pitties and as a pittie owner myself I really appreciate what your doing for the thee dogs. I can tell you have the respect of the people here who know you so please don't feel that your work is not appreciated and admired!
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I did not think that you needed to have insurance. I could not bear to see this poor guy meet his end at such a young age. Also training a deaf dog is not that much harder just have to be more aware of things around you and the hardest part is teaching watch me. Buddy has partial hearing so he understand most hand signals as well as voice if you are standing on his good side. Also he watches me all the time like I might leave him in the park (fat chance of that). But I am going to speak to someone who loves pits and might be interested, which would be great and she lives in my building
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Pitbulls - URGENT need for temporary placement

Guys, I still have not found a solution for Casper, and Gigi is not working out in the foster home. She is very dominant, 10 months old and has been from place to place. So she is testing her limits, and can be a bit intimidating. To make matters worst, the man is having asthma attacks ever since she arrived (we knew he was allergic - hoped they could tough it out)... So I'm stuck again. Time is of the essence, guys. Anyone out there who can help, please call me directly at home (514) 523-5052. Leave me a message if I am not there, this is very urgent now. Thanks