Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I hate it too when vets (or human doctors) just start prescribing meds with the 'lets see if this works' attitude.

How frustrating though! I hope this other vet can give you a better idea of what the problem is. In my mind, something taking over 48 hours to go through her system (the mushroom) is not a stomach problem, that's an intestinal problem. Although I'd think she'd be reluctant to eat if it was a partial blockage or something. I think I would insist on bloodwork - yes, there are things that won't show up, but at least it can rule out a whole bunch of things and it might have something that just jumps out at the vet.
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You are right, Kandy, if food stays in the stomach for longer than about 6 hours, there is a problem with the stomach emptying into the small intestine.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Hi. I am so new here but found the site looking for answers for the exact same thing going on with my mini daschund. Yesterday I paid for the xrays and bloodworkt and today i sit starring at the phone for the call to tell me wth is wrong. It's not my reg vet that is working with us. she has been sick since last thursday.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

DCH, is there any chance that this is less related to the baby mice and possibly related to mushrooms? We've had mushrooms popping up here for months and we're starting to see effects in the dogs. According to our vet, some mushrooms can cause some pretty rough gastro-intestinal symptoms. Are you sure the mushrooms you saw came from your dinner and not from out in the yard?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
-

DCH, poor you and Zoe.

I'm glad you are going for a second opinion and I would be insisting on bloodwork & xrays as well.

Hope you get the appt soon and good luck.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Sorry it has been so long for an update. Things have not been going well.

Zoe had an emergency vet appt yesterday. She passed blood and a large blood clot in her stool. Then she started puking non stop......I was waiting on hold with the vet when this started. The woman told me to bring her in.

She has lost 7 pounds in two weeks, she has been refusing food for 4 days. The diarreaha has not cleared up, the mucus in her stools is getting more and more, so much so that she has more mucus in her stools than fecal matter. She is still drinking and very active......her energy level has not gone down one bit. Both meds from the last vet did nothing, we had maybe three days of firm stools, then back to the poops.

So new vet checked all vitals, heart, lungs, eyes, mouth (everything fine). When he took her temp, which was perfect, the thermometer came out with poop on it, and it was mostly hair. He was puzzled. Zoe doesn't eat her own hair, plus the colour of the hair was not any colour of any of the pets in my place. He thinks she ate something outside....not to worry, he said it probably is not connected to her problem, seeing it has been well over a month she has had problems.

So he did his own bloodwork.......which he did in the exam room!!!! Four vials and not a peep out of Zoe. He ordered a full blood profile, and a CBC with differential (what does that mean?) Then he said she is to get 10ml of pepto bismol at least three times a day, and he gave me Tylosin (200mgs twice a day). He said he would try to have the bloodwork results to me by the end of day, if not tomorrow morning. So now I am waiting for a phone call this morning.

I gave her 5mls of pepto last night, about a half an hour later she was begging to be fed. Oh goodness......you wouldn't even believe how happy I was.

So that is where we are today. Once again I apologize for how long it has taken me to update..it has been a little much to handle over here. Spending time with her and not on the computer.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

How horrible for her. I hope this new vet can give you some answers and you can figure out what's wrong with her. At least it's a good sign that not only her activity and demeanor hasn't changed, but at least she was asking for food yesterday.

Please let us know the minute you hear back from the vet. for good news.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

DCH,what a terrible experience you've had:sad:hopefully you'll get some results today,find out what's wrong so that Zoe can be treated properly
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks AG and Chico.

I have to say I was impressed with the new vets attitude. He said "This is something that needs serious care" It's not just an upset belly....this needs lab work and some serious looking into. He wasn't too impressed about the weight loss. Looking at her, she doesn't look like she lost weight, but then I am around her everyday. He said rapid weight loss is not something to fool around with.

I was also impressed that he picked her up and put her on the table, not me, and he also picked her up and put her on the floor, instead of letting her jump the distance. He showed absolutely no fear with her, and he didn't list her as a "caution needed when handling" And the blood work in the room.......well heck, that was more than simple. The only thing she pulled away from was the tourniquet......after that was on, she didn't budge. Even when the one vial didn't have a vaccuum and no blood was coming out, she sat there while he got a new one.

I am trying to be patient on the blood work......it is hard. Good news is that she ate some turkey for breakfast. I think I am just going to go and take her for her morning walk and see what she has for a poop. Plus I know the minute I leave the phone will ring, then I will be able to call back and not feel like I am harassing anyone.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Not that I know as much as many here seem too, the fact that he hasn't pooped might be the empty intenstinal tract could be filling now since no diarhea or vomiting? I had a dog (Cassie, RIP) who had a similar problem with the drooling, panting, and mucus and it was indeed a sour stomach - too much acid.

I hope Zoe gets better soon --

Norm
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Can you sign up to be on that vet's patient list?! omd, he sounds wonderful!! Or does he just do emergency stuff?

that the Tylosin does it's job and she's turned the corner. Wonderful that she's getting her appetite back!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Okay just got the bloodwork results back....I am not too happy but the vet says not to worry.

The only thing high on her test was her white blood count. Vet said the high is 17.3, and Zoe is at 16.9.

But she said looking at the white cells under the microscope showed that they are trying to fight some kind of infection.:sad: I asked about the big "C" and the vet said no he doesn't believe so.

All her organs are working properly. I can pick up the full bloodwork results tomorrow, they want to add another anti-botic, amoxciallan along with the tylosin.

I told the vet that the tylosin is making her drink and pee like crazy, so he said to bring in a urine sample when I come to pick up the new prescription. They will check to make sure everything is good in that department too. And yeah....when I asked about how to collect a urine sample...well they make it sound so EASY.

so that is where we are at today.....everything is going to be alright.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
He ordered a full blood profile, and a CBC with differential (what does that mean?)
CBC is a complete blood count - red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, hemoglobin, mean corp volume, etc. The differential breaks down the white blood cell count into it's different components - Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils. That will help point the vet in the right direction as to where the infection is coming from.

Anytime the wbc is high it means the body is fighting some kind of infection.

for Zoe

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks Growler, I just found that out when I talked with my vet. I can pick up the full work up tomorrow, I will post it here....I don't know really what I am looking at....the vet only gave me the WBC over the phone. And he told me not to freak out when she finally poops that it probably will be black because of the pepto bismol. Thank goodness he called me back, and after hours to tell me that. She hasn't pooped yet, I only gave her two doses of pepto. One at supper because she tried to go outside and eat grass...and one yesterday that got her to eat. He said now she is eating maybe one dose a day, maybe two, one in the morning one at night, depending on if she vomits or refuses food.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, on the one hand it's good that so far the tests are normal. But you still don't really know what is going on with her.

I hope you find out soon.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sending lots of ers and and for Zoe and for you. What a trial you two have been through. I hope you will soon get to the bottom of it all.
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

The new vet sounds great - at least he realizes that this is something that needs to be solved with more than just a 'let's try this drug next' type of program.

Typically high white blood cells do indicate infection - but the body can mistake something else as infection and send the warriors out. That's why the vet asked for the differential on the bloodwork - so he can see the numbers on the different kinds of white blood cells.

I researched this because Hazel had a lesion show up on her TPLO leg. Long story short, she had an infection tract present - with no infection. It was caused from irritation or inflammation at the sight where she has the plate in her leg.

I hope this new vet gets Zoe well quickly - she's been sick for way too long! Since he found hair in her stool, do you think she's continuing to eat furry critters outside (the mice)?
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Couldn't get to the vet today, had myself a large panic attack and was pretty medicated all day long.

I couldn't get a urine sample, every time she squatted and I knelt she would jump up and give me the WTH do you think you are doing look. I taped a pie tin to a mop handle and will see if I can sneak it up behind her tomorrow. I only need a teaspoon

Bad thing is that my new vet is out of town for a week now, but I was told that another vet would handle her urine test. But she is taking all her meds, no need for pepto today, she is eating and not looking to eat grass and vomit. Only thing is it is now day two and no poop. But I am not going to stress, she didn't eat for 4 days and the pepto is probably hardening things up.......trying to do the poop dance over here for her

oh and Kandy, he doesn't know what to make of the hair in the poop. But yesterday when I was checking the yard for critters, or critter houses.....I came across an old poop, that was still in poop form, but was complete hair. It was four links of hair!! I bagged it, there is absolutely no fecal matter present, but the hair is still woven together, it is hollow in the middle, so I imagine there was some fecal matter but it is long gone now.
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hmmm, coyote and wolf poop will be full of fur due to their eating prey, but for Zoe to have fur . Could she have eaten a carcus (sp?) that is now upsetting her tummy, perhaps from too much fur/bone?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

DCH, I'm sorry to hear that zoe still isn't completely back to her old self, but I'm glad she is feeling better!! I hope the vet can figure out what is causing her to be sick and figure out where the hair is coming from too!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Didn't Zoe eat a mouse a couple of months ago?

Old August 28th, 2009, 07:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A mouse wouldn't leave that much hair in the stool. Something the size of a rabbit might. Or the fur stole off someone's coat It would have to be a fairly sizable animal or object.

Old August 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Yeah Zoe ate a few mice babies, they were still pink with no hair (sorry little mice:sad

That is when this whole mess started. But this hair is new. I do have two fox in the area. I don't know but it possibly could be chipmunk, maybe squirrel hair?? There are moles and mice, but this is alot of hair. My neighbour has rabbits....put they usually are penned up in the barn. I may ask if any have gone missing. She has even vomitted hair up.

As for where this infection came from that she is fighting off One of my co-workers asked me today, if she is fighting a large infection how come she doesn't have a temperature? Now I am starting to wonder. Vet said her temp was right on the button, totally normal.

But the pills are going in her, she is eating again. Had a black poop last night (thank goodness the vet told me about the black poop coming, I would have had a heart attack) It was totally solid. So she hasnt had any more pepto for a day, we shall see what kind of stool she passes tonight. See if the meds are helping on their own. I am feeding her four small meals a day, and yesterday afternoon was the last time she vomitted. And no more grass eating so far. She is very tired, but when she gets up to do something she does it with lots of energy. So I imagine that is just anti-botic tiredness.

Thanks for the support and good vibes everyone. Lets hope we kick the crap out of this, this time around.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe it's something viral? Does a viral infection cause temperature?

At least she's pooping solid, so that's a good thing.

Old August 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She isn't licking her new kitty enough to get hairballs, is she?

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I didn't want to post and jinx it...but I think it is okay now.

Zoe is responding awesomely to the new med Tylosin. Her appetite is back big time. Even though I didn't think she was losing energy, well she was, now she is jumping like a wild dog, chasing dexter every moment she can, we have had two two hour walks. She is bright eyed and bushy tailed again!!!

She only has had three poops since starting this med, but each one is firmer than the last......and absolutely NO MUCUS!! They aren't totally solid yet, but they have form and now finally some substance to them!!! And no more blood or blood clots present.

My next door neighbour walked me out to the back of her property, the other street neighbour in behind hers has two buildings, and one flat bed loaded with garbage, and more garbage. My neighbour says there are RATS!!! Could this be the pelt coming out in Zoe's poop?? We both lodged complains with the city, and she called the police because they are dumping garbage on her property.

Zoe's new vet is back in town tomorrow, so I am going to call and ask what could a dog get if she ate a rat. I am also beginning to wonder if maybe she got bit on her front leg, the one she was limping on. There was no blood there, but maybe her skin just got scratched....because the lump on her leg has gone down with the anti-botic too, and there is NO sign of her limping anymore.

and I thought cat were the mysterious creatures......LOL. Thanks all for the support! I think we may have gotten over the hump.....and she still has a week of anti-botics left......and she is taking every single last one of them!! I want this gone!!
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm happy she's responding to this medication. It's a good thing you took her for a second opinion, because staying with the other vet, she may still be sick.

Her eating a rat may be a plausible explanation. I don't dislike all rats. I know many people keep them as pets, but those rats are healthy and taken care of, and disease free.

Old September 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

DCH,great news for Zoe and you,would she really eat a ratI thought only cats would catch mice and rats(my cats not included)
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

for Zoe.....glad you're seeing improvement.

I don't think Kailey would hesitate to eat a rat....and in-laws dog Heidi has eaten rabbits :sad:, so it's not that much of a stretch. Seems like a pretty plausible scenario.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I would like to think she wouldn't eat a rat, but after seeing her munch down those baby mice.....well anything is possible. She does have some food agression, maybe something was messing with her buried cookies or an old bone? I don't know. I know she freaked when our neighbourhood squirrel was stealing her milkbones from their hiding spot.

And I don't dislike all rats either, I wouldn't freak out if I saw one outside either, I would be ticked if it was a wild one in my house (but that is a whole other deal)

And Chico, Zoe thinks she is a cat, a 60 pound cat that can't purr. Two of mine couldn't care, but I do believe Dex and Zoe would make a fierce hunting team together.