Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM

Bumps on skin

Here is the problem I have 4 dogs all of which are scratching. About 3 weeks ago I took one of my females to do a breeding while i was their i noticed one of the other males had what looked to me like and allergic reaction bumps on skin kind of all over i spoke to the owner of the stud he told me that dog was the only one with the bumps and was being treated he was told by is vet that they were some kind of pimples. I left my dog there for a week she was to use another stud not showing these symptoms so to me all was well. It is now 3 weeks later on this past friday i noticed similar bumps on my now pregnant female maybe its stress not as many as were on the male at the stud owners. my wife tells me this weekend she put advantix on the other dog because they were scratching not on the pregnant female of course. One of my males has bone cancer and this morning he is covered in the bumps te pregnant females bumps seem to have gone down but not gone. I called the stud owner he said his dog was treated with antibiotics and is getting better was told by is vet it was not contagious i am thinking it could be sarcoptic mange so i call my vet he tells me to give the boy with cancer some benadryl for the reaction and call back in a couple days. Am i wrong in thinking mange or is his vet wrong in not tating as if it were mange skin scraping came up negative in his dog

please help
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

welcome to the forum, no real advice other than go to the vet.
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Am wondering why you would breed your dog at a facility where obviously there were unhealthy dogs? Sorry but can't keep my mouth shut on this one.....
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM

The "pimples" the guy was refering to are just clogged pores. Very similar to our acne. My cat has "cat acne." Looks like dirt around his chin area. Casey's is the result of allergies and it clears up for the most part with better food... still a few flare-ups every once in a while.

Acne is not contagious at all. I have one cat with it and 2 without... also 2 dogs without. BUT my doc never gave antibiotics to treat Casey's acne. He gave me a cream to put on it, which didn't do much and kind of just made Casey mad at me.

The fact that you have the same thing showing up on your dogs AND the other breeder mentioned antibiotics tells me that it's not acne and needs a trip to the vet. The vet can do a simple skin scrape and tell you pretty quickly what it is that is causing the bumps.

I would take care of it soon, though. Once you get itchy skin, you get hot spots (big bloody raw spots) and those are a major pain to heal. It might be as simple as a medicated bath to treat, but you won't know until you get to the vet.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not a vet, but my suggestion would be to go see another vet....This does not sound like "pimples" as they are not contageous...But these dogs are passing something to each other that is contageous.

I second what BMDLuver said.

Another BYB....
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equla View Post
The "pimples" the guy was refering to are just clogged pores.
How can you diagnose when you haven't even seen the dogs and you're obviously not a vet

to the OP , I second the other comment about letting your female to spend what , 2 weeks , at that house and , for breeding ??? That's not too responsable but then again , we are talking about BYB ... it's time to take your dogs to a vet.

If you haven't read other threads here , know that many of the members volunteer in rescues and are not too fond of back yard breeding. As these volunteers , pick up the mess BYB make.

again , so you don't compain about us not answering your question , we are no vets , and you must take your dogs to a vet so your dogs can be diagnose and treated.
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
How can you diagnose when you haven't even seen the dogs and you're obviously not a vet
Didn't mean to diagnose. Just have experience with animal acne. I mentioned that acne (pimples) are not contagious, so a vet visit is in order as what is going on is most likely not that simple. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

The Maine Coon Mafia (litter mates)
Casey - Male Maine Coon, 3 years
Mak - Male Maine Coon, 3 years

The abandoned newcomer: Linus - Male Tabby, 1 year
Minnie - Female Tortie, RIP 9/3/93-8/18/09 (In Heaven, but never far from our hearts)

The Pooches... Best friends for life.
Miko - Male Chi/Terrier mix, 2 years
Mansa - Male Pit Bull, 1 year
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Hi markandkilo, welcome to pets.ca .

After your vet appointment with your dogs, maybe you'd like to read this. You'll get all sorts of accurate info as what to expect when breeding your dogs .

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

And all sorts of valuable information here :

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.html

Good luck!
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:57 AM

For starters i am no BYB both dogs were tested for brucellosis the stud owner was and is taking his dog which is not the stud I used for scrapings and test on what the cause is his vet told him they were non contagious pimples so i proceeded with the breeding with another male if i were not told and showed the medication for the other dog i would not have done the breeding. I did call my vet to make an appointment he told me to administer the benadryl and call him in a couple days. I was a Vet Tech but it doesnt pay enough to live in NY. There are responsible breeders out there which i do consider myself one. a little feedback was what i was looking for not veterinary attention or negative comments. I thought a thread like this could help someone in the present and future with this problem. I worked at my vets office thats why he can tell me to go ahead with the benadryl and call him in a couple days. i volunteer my services at clinics in my area but i guess because i have bred dogs im not a positive individual in my community. i thought that i put everything in my previous post to show that i was doing everything i could but i guess some read past most of it and only saw what they wanted to see. i hope no one is offended because with your comments i wasn't just wish people would read the entire post maybe even twice. it seems some were more eager to do some thrashing than to give any advice
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Doggie Wench

Not being a knowledgeable breeder, if all my dogs were scratching, and if one of them showed similar symptoms with a strange dog he/she was in contact with, I wouldn't be taking anyone's word for it , I'd go directly to a vet for confirmation.

Do you know anything at all about the dog your female was mated with? How do you know for sure she didn't come in contact with the other male with the bumps? There can be all sorts of contagions in a kennel-type facility. Aren't you already aware of that, previously being a vet tech ?
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Once again the bashing continues if you read the post you would have read that i saw the medication the dog was taking which tells me the vet that he took his dog to thought it was non contagious. it is good to see that people do care of the overpopulation of animals in general. reading what you want to see is wrong but it is what it is.
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:27 AM
-

I agree with the responses that you've received so far but I do have a suggestion ....

If you would split your long posts into paragraphs then they would be much easier for others to read.
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM

I am not bashing, but it is fairly obvious to me that the owner of the stud may have misled you. If one of his dogs had it and now you dog has it then it appears to be contagious. Pimples to my knowledge are not contagious. Could it be the owner of the stud was willing to mislead because there was a stud fee involved. Regardless of whether your bitch mated with the stud with the skin issue or not the skin issue as present in the community and looks like now in your community all of your dogs have it. You made a bad call in leaving your bitch there to be bred. Now take your dogs to a vet.