Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Liver shunts diagnosed for cat

My cat has just been diagnosed with liver shunts, it seems she was born with a defective liver, she is almost a year old and has just spent 4 days at the vet college on an IV. She is back home now but we are giving her amoxicillin, lactulose and a very small dose of aspirin as she has also developed clots in the vessels in her liver. The vet suggested Denamarin which it seems we cannot get in Canada. I know this is a combined treatment of milk thistle and denosyl to try to help the liver function a little better.

We know that Daisy is very sick but we are trying to help her as much as possible so any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:34 PM

This product was suggested on the forum a while back...here is the thread

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....hlight=denosyl

sugarcatmom suggested it and she's in AB...I'll PM her and perhaps she could offer some ideas.

I think you are very fortunate to have the school nearby.
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy. Liver shunts are pretty serious, as I'm sure you know. Is surgery an option for her? Is she on a low-protein diet?

As for the Denamarin, you could either order it online (shipping brings it up to around $45/bottle), or instead give her the milk thistle (silymarin) and Denosyl (SAMe) separately. Some links for you:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...iver/liver.asp
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=31&A=1319&S=0
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=1779

Give her lots of love and let us know how she does.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:20 AM

We were told by the vets at the college that surgery is not an option for her as it would be too risky and very, very expensive.

I did try to order Denamarin through Amazon but was told that it was not possible to send it to Canada. I have an order with Allivet who are sending the package to me but of course this may not make it through customs. The vet has said that we can give her the Denosyl and Milk Thistle separately but I was hoping that we could combine it as she is already taking several medications and I wanted to make it a little easier on her.

The vet college here has been absolutely wonderful and I believe they are one of the best schools in Atlantic Canada - so if Daisy can be helped - I am definitely in the best place.

I am so glad I found this forum!
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisycat View Post
I did try to order Denamarin through Amazon but was told that it was not possible to send it to Canada.
The US Amazon site doesn't usually send anything but books/CDs/DVDs to Canada, so it's not unusual not to be able to get this from them.

Quote:
I have an order with Allivet who are sending the package to me but of course this may not make it through customs.
It should. Denamarin isn't a noxious substance and I've ordered supplements from the US many times without a problem.

Quote:
The vet has said that we can give her the Denosyl and Milk Thistle separately but I was hoping that we could combine it as she is already taking several medications and I wanted to make it a little easier on her.
For sure. My guy is b!*ch to pill, so if I can't mix it in his food, he doesn't get it .

Good luck to you!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler